Book and message for Randy

mrshisname
mrshisname Member Posts: 186
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I've been trying to find a thread where several 0f you have mentioned a great book on prostate cancer...but can't seem to find it.
Help please?
And, Randy in Indy, your email address you gave me is bouncing.
Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Book
    One that is worth reading and comes with a DVD and is free! is the book sent out by Loma Linda Proton department. You google those 3 words together and you should come up their web site and its easy to locate the link to the free DVD and book. The book is You Can Beat Prostate Cancer by Robert Marckini.
  • mrshisname
    Trew said:

Book
    One that is worth reading and comes with a DVD and is free! is the book sent out by Loma Linda Proton department. You google those 3 words together and you should come up their web site and its easy to locate the link to the free DVD and book. The book is You Can Beat Prostate Cancer by Robert Marckini.

Trew/Book
    Thanks Trew. I will order the Loma Linda book.
    I went to both Amazon and Borders and still can't find the "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer" book....??
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    randy_in_indy@sbcglobal.net
    S

randy_in_indy@sbcglobal.net

Sorry I screwed that up.
  • txbarton
    txbarton Member Posts: 89 Member
    Another often recommended
    Another often recommended book is - Saving Your Sex Life: A Guide for Men with Prostate Cancer by John P Mulhall. It is available on Amazon.

VB
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    txbarton said:

Another often recommended
    Another often recommended book is - Saving Your Sex Life: A Guide for Men with Prostate Cancer by John P Mulhall. It is available on Amazon.

VB

Yes that is an EXCELLENT
    Yes that is an EXCELLENT Book. Also get Dr. Patrick Walsh's guide to Prostate Cancer. Wish I would have read it earlier then after some other books that I read.

Larry
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    Books I have read...
    Recommend-Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer-Second Edition
    Dr Patrick Walsh

Recommend-The First Year Prostate Cancer-An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
    Chris Lukas

Recommend-Saving Your Sex Life-A guide for Men with Prostate Cancer
    Dr. John Mulhall

Prostate Cancer Meet The Proton Beam-Apatient's Experience
    Fuller Jones

Recommend-You Can Beat Protate Cancer and you do nto need surgery to do it
    Robert J. Marckini

Recommend-Surviving Protate Cancer without Surgery-The New Gold Standard that save your life and life style
    Dr Michael J. Dattoli

Conquer Prostate Cancer
    Rabbi Ed Weinsberg

Recommend-Eat to Beat Prostate Cancer Cookbook
    Ricketts
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    bdhilton said:

Books I have read...
    Recommend-Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer-Second Edition
    Dr Patrick Walsh

Recommend-The First Year Prostate Cancer-An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed
    Chris Lukas

Recommend-Saving Your Sex Life-A guide for Men with Prostate Cancer
    Dr. John Mulhall

Prostate Cancer Meet The Proton Beam-Apatient's Experience
    Fuller Jones

Recommend-You Can Beat Protate Cancer and you do nto need surgery to do it
    Robert J. Marckini

Recommend-Surviving Protate Cancer without Surgery-The New Gold Standard that save your life and life style
    Dr Michael J. Dattoli

Conquer Prostate Cancer
    Rabbi Ed Weinsberg

Recommend-Eat to Beat Prostate Cancer Cookbook
    Ricketts

Bd
    You have it goin on!! Comprehensive list...I am copying and pasting on my prostate page with my stats and other links. Whoo hooo!
  • Trew

Trew/Book
    Thanks Trew. I will order the Loma Linda book.
    I went to both Amazon and Borders and still can't find the "You Can Beat Prostate Cancer" book....??

LLU Book
    Try doing this: Call the Loma Linda Univeristy Medical center proton department at
    800-PROTONS, tell them your situation and that you would like to get info on the proton department.

Let me know how that works for you, ok.

Loma Linda's web address:

http://www.protons.com/
  • WHW
    WHW Member Posts: 189
    Try This Link For All Books on Prostate Cancer
    This link is to the healingwell.com forum website and bookstore. I have already filtered it down to the books available on Prostate Cancer.

It is the most comprehensive list of books out there on Prostate Cancer;

http://www.wellnessbooks.com/bookstore/

Good Luck in your research,

Sonny

60 years old when diagnosed
    PSA 11/07 3.0
    PSA 5/09 6.4
    Diagnosis confirmed July 9, 2009
    12 Needle Biopsy = 9 clear , 3 postive
    Gleason Score (3+4) 7 in all positive cores
    da Vinci 9/17/09
    Post Surgery Pathology: GS 4+3=7
    Stage: T3a
    Tumor Volume 12.5%
    positive margin, extra-prostatic extension
    30 day PSA 0.4, 50 day psa 0.53, 64 day psa 0.6
    IMRT completed 1/15/10 35 treatments- 70Gy
  • mrshisname
    WHW said:

Try This Link For All Books on Prostate Cancer
    This link is to the healingwell.com forum website and bookstore. I have already filtered it down to the books available on Prostate Cancer.

It is the most comprehensive list of books out there on Prostate Cancer;

http://www.wellnessbooks.com/bookstore/

Good Luck in your research,

Sonny

60 years old when diagnosed
    PSA 11/07 3.0
    PSA 5/09 6.4
    Diagnosis confirmed July 9, 2009
    12 Needle Biopsy = 9 clear , 3 postive
    Gleason Score (3+4) 7 in all positive cores
    da Vinci 9/17/09
    Post Surgery Pathology: GS 4+3=7
    Stage: T3a
    Tumor Volume 12.5%
    positive margin, extra-prostatic extension
    30 day PSA 0.4, 50 day psa 0.53, 64 day psa 0.6
    IMRT completed 1/15/10 35 treatments- 70Gy

Thanks everybody
    You guys have made some great recommendations.
    I ordered 4 books from Amazon today. Hey, maybe we should have a thread where we write book reviews?

My hubby has been reading but he doesn't like to deal with the computer much. He read a bunch of the threads last night. Relies on me to do his research, etc since I am a nurse.
    But HE will be making the final decision. I'm just doing all the legwork, setting up 2nd and 3rd opinions, writing lists of questions, etc.
    Thanks for all the support. God bless you all!
  • Ralphie62
    Ralphie62 Member Posts: 61 Member

Thanks everybody
    You guys have made some great recommendations.
    I ordered 4 books from Amazon today. Hey, maybe we should have a thread where we write book reviews?

My hubby has been reading but he doesn't like to deal with the computer much. He read a bunch of the threads last night. Relies on me to do his research, etc since I am a nurse.
    But HE will be making the final decision. I'm just doing all the legwork, setting up 2nd and 3rd opinions, writing lists of questions, etc.
    Thanks for all the support. God bless you all!

books
    We have 2 copies of "you can beat prostate cancer", and would be glad to send you one. My email is lisaspride@aol.com..(lisa harlan:) My husband is also not a big computer guy. He read this book, though, and is really excited about proton treatment. We were really opposed to radiation initially, but consider this a different approach. It's good to take a look at everything, though?? Best wishes in your quest........ralphie's wife
  • Trew
    Another Suggestion
    My wife is working on her CEUs and she is taking a course from Western Schools titled

"Cancer Nursing: A Solid foundation for Practice" by Ellen Carr, RN, etc.

My wife is taking this class because of me. What I got out of it was a very good reason for adminsitering the Lupron type drugs that has fnally made sense to me.

It is a nursing textbook but understanding cancer in general is helpful in understanding why prostate cancer is treated like it is. I have had a number of questions answered in a few pages.
  • mrshisname
    Trew said:

Another Suggestion
    My wife is working on her CEUs and she is taking a course from Western Schools titled

"Cancer Nursing: A Solid foundation for Practice" by Ellen Carr, RN, etc.

My wife is taking this class because of me. What I got out of it was a very good reason for adminsitering the Lupron type drugs that has fnally made sense to me.

It is a nursing textbook but understanding cancer in general is helpful in understanding why prostate cancer is treated like it is. I have had a number of questions answered in a few pages.

cool
    Very cool Trew. Great suggestion, I need to do some CEU's soon, might as well get credit for stuff I'd like to read anyway.
    I got a really great book in the mail today, though it is controversial. My hubby's urologist wrote down the title today cause he wants a copy. Its called "The Big Scare: The Business of Prostate Cancer". This guy firmly believes that PC is overtreated. He had some really interesting suggestions, and some very good explanations. In parts it is pretty technical, but I'm looking forward to really delving into it. Its giving me some new perspective.
  • mrshisname
    Ralphie62 said:

books
    We have 2 copies of "you can beat prostate cancer", and would be glad to send you one. My email is lisaspride@aol.com..(lisa harlan:) My husband is also not a big computer guy. He read this book, though, and is really excited about proton treatment. We were really opposed to radiation initially, but consider this a different approach. It's good to take a look at everything, though?? Best wishes in your quest........ralphie's wife

Ralphi 62
    THANKS! Would love to have a copy. I'll send you my address and would be happy to reimburse you cost of book and mailing. We do see the radiation oncologist next Monday. Getting second opinion this coming monday and on 3/16 getting opinion from Michael Cook at IU and he will review tissue slides prior. Hubbie had pretty much decided on DaVinci surgery now he is not so sure....decisions, decisions..Maria
  • Trew

cool
    Very cool Trew. Great suggestion, I need to do some CEU's soon, might as well get credit for stuff I'd like to read anyway.
    I got a really great book in the mail today, though it is controversial. My hubby's urologist wrote down the title today cause he wants a copy. Its called "The Big Scare: The Business of Prostate Cancer". This guy firmly believes that PC is overtreated. He had some really interesting suggestions, and some very good explanations. In parts it is pretty technical, but I'm looking forward to really delving into it. Its giving me some new perspective.

Cancer Nursing
    Mrs Trew ordered the book from Western Schools. You can check them out at

westernschools.com

My wife is picking up 25 CEUs for this course. Right now, it is a very practical course for both of us.
  • muttsrule
    muttsrule Member Posts: 52
    books
    Very helpful to me when diagnosed:

100 Questions & Answers about Prostate Cancer, 2nd ed. Pamela Ellsworth, MD. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett, c.2009..

Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer, 2nd ed. New York: Warner Wellness, c2007.

Be sure to check publication/copyright dates, so as to be as current as possible. I'd suppose Walsh's Guide might be getting a little stale already. Somebody sent me a book published in 1990!

John in Seattle