Surgery on 1/22/10

Frank Fitz
Frank Fitz Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Kidney Cancer #1
Diagnosed with Transitional Cell Cancer in my left kidney. The Dr is doing a scope and biopsy to confirm the cancer type and stage. There may be a slight potential that it is not cancer. If it is, he plans to take the kidney, ureter and a piece of the bladder.

Anyone else with similar cancer and procedure? Any comments are very welcome.

Fitz

Comments

• doogie69
    doogie69 Member Posts: 2
    Surgery Tomorrow
    Success to you with your surgery tomorrow. Another "adventure" in life...
  • Fran Chandler
    Fran Chandler Member Posts: 29
    Transitional Cell Cancer
    I also have been diagnosed with the same type of cancer. I have a tumor the size of a golf ball in the kidney. On 2-10-10 I will have surgery. They will be taking out the right kidney,
    ureter,a piece of the bladder,the adrenal gland over the kidney and 5 to 15 lymph nodes. If all goes well I will let you know how it goes and I want to let you know that I pray that all goes well for you too.

Fran
  • Frank Fitz

Transitional Cell Cancer
    I also have been diagnosed with the same type of cancer. I have a tumor the size of a golf ball in the kidney. On 2-10-10 I will have surgery. They will be taking out the right kidney,
    ureter,a piece of the bladder,the adrenal gland over the kidney and 5 to 15 lymph nodes. If all goes well I will let you know how it goes and I want to let you know that I pray that all goes well for you too.

Fran

Surgery
    Good luck Fran - I will say a prayer for you. Where are you have it done?

They got my tumor out and believe there was no spreading so I am fortunate. They called it "urothelial carcinoma(a form of transitional cell). Now recovering from the surgery. It seems slow but I need to remind myself that it has only been 2 weeks.
  • Fran Chandler
    Fran Chandler Member Posts: 29

Surgery
    Good luck Fran - I will say a prayer for you. Where are you have it done?

They got my tumor out and believe there was no spreading so I am fortunate. They called it "urothelial carcinoma(a form of transitional cell). Now recovering from the surgery. It seems slow but I need to remind myself that it has only been 2 weeks.

Surgery
    Hi Frank
    I am so glad you have had your surgery and doing so well. Sometimes it can really get pretty rough to go thru. I am also so glad that they have got it all. Did they just take the kidney? That is really good news for us to hear. My surgery will be at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa,Fl I am really quite afraid as I have trouble with anthesia. But they know that and will keep an eye on me for that.
  • Frank Fitz

Surgery
    Hi Frank
    I am so glad you have had your surgery and doing so well. Sometimes it can really get pretty rough to go thru. I am also so glad that they have got it all. Did they just take the kidney? That is really good news for us to hear. My surgery will be at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa,Fl I am really quite afraid as I have trouble with anthesia. But they know that and will keep an eye on me for that.

Surgery
    Good luck with your surgery. I am confident it will go well for you. My surgery was the same as yours (but left kidney) except they did not take any nodes out. Prayers for you. Let us know how it went for you.
  • icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member

Surgery
    Good luck with your surgery. I am confident it will go well for you. My surgery was the same as yours (but left kidney) except they did not take any nodes out. Prayers for you. Let us know how it went for you.

It took me 6 weeks to feel normal.
    One thing you have to do is put in perspective that this is major abdominal surgery even if done laproscopic. It took me about 6 weeks to feel normal even though I went back to work part time after 2 weeks. Now 7 and 1/2 years later I can appreciate the Surgery and it sure beats the alternative. I can not think of anything I can not do as a resukt of the surgery but I do feel a tiny bit older at 66 and 1/2. Two weeks ago in Barbados I swam with the turtles and that was something I never did before,
  • Frank Fitz
    icemantoo said:

It took me 6 weeks to feel normal.
    One thing you have to do is put in perspective that this is major abdominal surgery even if done laproscopic. It took me about 6 weeks to feel normal even though I went back to work part time after 2 weeks. Now 7 and 1/2 years later I can appreciate the Surgery and it sure beats the alternative. I can not think of anything I can not do as a resukt of the surgery but I do feel a tiny bit older at 66 and 1/2. Two weeks ago in Barbados I swam with the turtles and that was something I never did before,

Fran, How are you?
    How did surgery go for you? I hope you are starting to feel a little better even though it has only been just over 2 weeks. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Frank