Still shocked, bewildered and Just can't believe it!!

TonyJr
TonyJr Member Posts: 33
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the family and I can't believe whats happening to me, I've worked in the medical field 20 years now and I've taught medical assistants as well. I now find myself on the recieving end of stick, sort of speak....I can't believe whats happening to me...
I found out in 12/09 also...with an elevated PSA of 7.3 went for a second blood test and it was 7.1...not a big difference. Went to a radiantion uncologist friend of mind, and he said at 44 with a stage 1 TA I think I was a good candidate for Da Vinci so thats where I'm headed. I live in West Palm Beach, Florida and now I'm going to see Dr. Patel in Kissimee...he's suppose to be the Guru of rotobotic Da Vinci, we'll see.
Everyone here has been so informative and I thank you, I'm just still in aw of it all...I feel so vulnerable, like I lost my MOJO!! I haven't even gotten up the nerves to tell my 19yr old son who lives in LA with my ex....I figure after my surgery all goes well I'll have to let him know...he'll soon need to have routine PSA check ups...

Thanks for just reading....any responses would be greatly appreciated....I'm totally overwhelmed by this all...with all the support I have and prayer I still feel LOST!!

TonyJr..!!

Comments

• randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    Tony Jr. We are here for you!
    Listen, I am sorry to hear you are part of this unwanted club...we really don't want any new members...but once we have them we can help and there is much here to help you through this experience from many different people and experiences. Here are a couple of positives right out of the gate.

- Looks like you might have caught this very early.
    - You are young and will have a very good chance for complete recovery with very little side effects.

I am sure you have been doing tons of research and found a path. If you have any questions please ask...many here have been through what you will question or wonder about and can help. There are many good people here! Tony, you WILL beat this and chances are you will come out the other end even a better man than you were going in. I say that because this experience has to have an effect on a person and usually changes a persons perspective on life...I suppose it's different for everyone but to me it seems most people have more compassion, have more patience, learn how to enjoy or get more enjoyment out of life. That's just my personal take and maybe that is what has happened to me only. I wish you well and hope you will get from everyone on here what you need and want!

Randy in Indy
  • johndz
    johndz Member Posts: 33
    You are not alone
    Hi Tony, just relax, pray, study, research and learn more about PC to make a proper decision to fit your situation. I was shocked when this happen to me. This forum give me a lot of hope, peace, comfortable to handle my problem. Earlier PC detection will be a big help! Thanks God, new technology, good surgery and our firends and love one will help us get over our tough time. I have Davincy in on 12/18/09 - I have my life back almost normal now( Just 8 weeks) . Since PC detection on me. I though this world is collapse, I can't sleep and worry too much. Good to read about this forum and have your love one help you to get more information if you can. My wife call hospital to find out about each doctor experiences records (Kaiser N california) - get second opinion - learn each available PC curing process to see a PRO and CON of each process and which one will be more favorable and benefit to your situation and make a confortable decision from there. Keep going with excercise to make your body heathty will be a big help for fast recovery. A lot of our friends on this forum will give us a lot supports and information on our PC journey.

Good luck Tony.

John(California)
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Tony,
    As others have said

Tony,
    As others have said read, read, read about this cancer. The more you know the better you can fight it. My Dad had PC but I was still shocked when I found out. Count your blessings that they have found it early.

We are here for you with all the support we can give. If you ever want to talk to anyone just shoot us a message.

Larry age 55
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    At 44
    There is a proton center in Orlando, I think- you should consider it before committing to surgery.
  • erisian
    erisian Member Posts: 107
    Trew said:

At 44
    There is a proton center in Orlando, I think- you should consider it before committing to surgery.

Don't Rush
    Don't rush into surgery, or any other treatment for that matter. Take your time and find out what is right for you!

Your elevated PSA is just that. Have you had a biopsy yet?
  • jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129 Member
    Tony, As the previous
    Tony, As the previous posters have stated, we are here for you. It is a bit of a shock to hear those words. It sounds like you caught this early and i wish you all the best as you move forward with your treatment. I am 47 and found out in November, just had my DaVinci surgery 4 weeks ago. We told our kids up front (19 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter). I think the approach you take is huge. When we told the kids, I gave them all the info to emphasize that we caught it early and that it was treatable and potentially curable. They had some questions, especially my son, but all in all the conversation was a good one.
    My surgeon said something to me on the day he told me the news. He said, "Don't look at this as the day you were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, look at this as the day we saved your life."
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Joe
  • Kentr
    Kentr Member Posts: 111
    Tony
    Hang in there, we are all here for you.

Kent
  • dakotarunner
    dakotarunner Member Posts: 102 Member
    MOJO found!
    Hi Tony Jr.

When you found this site, you got a darn good start on getting your MOJO back. I think you will find that this site is a big help as you go forward. Don't feel lost, as you are on the same road as many of us. A great number of us have felt lost at one time or another as we have traveled along, but there is always someone there to help you along.

As someone else posted, take your time and look at all options. Treatment is not a one size fits all thing. There are many thoughts and opinions out there,and it can get confusing and possibly frustrating as to what to do. I wish you well in your selection of treatment.

When I found out I had PC, I told my kids, who ranged from 18 to 28. It was one less thing to have on my mind, and they were going to find out sooner or later. But that is the old one size thing.

Please keep up the posts. We are not experts here, but we have a pretty close relationship with PC. Keep up the good fight.

Dakotarunner POPC!
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member

MOJO found!
    Hi Tony Jr.

When you found this site, you got a darn good start on getting your MOJO back. I think you will find that this site is a big help as you go forward. Don't feel lost, as you are on the same road as many of us. A great number of us have felt lost at one time or another as we have traveled along, but there is always someone there to help you along.

As someone else posted, take your time and look at all options. Treatment is not a one size fits all thing. There are many thoughts and opinions out there,and it can get confusing and possibly frustrating as to what to do. I wish you well in your selection of treatment.

When I found out I had PC, I told my kids, who ranged from 18 to 28. It was one less thing to have on my mind, and they were going to find out sooner or later. But that is the old one size thing.

Please keep up the posts. We are not experts here, but we have a pretty close relationship with PC. Keep up the good fight.

Dakotarunner POPC!

jminij - What a Great Comment and Perspective from the Doc
    "Don't look at this as the day you were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, look at this as the day we saved your life."
  • TonyJr

Tony Jr. We are here for you!
    Listen, I am sorry to hear you are part of this unwanted club...we really don't want any new members...but once we have them we can help and there is much here to help you through this experience from many different people and experiences. Here are a couple of positives right out of the gate.

- Looks like you might have caught this very early.
    - You are young and will have a very good chance for complete recovery with very little side effects.

I am sure you have been doing tons of research and found a path. If you have any questions please ask...many here have been through what you will question or wonder about and can help. There are many good people here! Tony, you WILL beat this and chances are you will come out the other end even a better man than you were going in. I say that because this experience has to have an effect on a person and usually changes a persons perspective on life...I suppose it's different for everyone but to me it seems most people have more compassion, have more patience, learn how to enjoy or get more enjoyment out of life. That's just my personal take and maybe that is what has happened to me only. I wish you well and hope you will get from everyone on here what you need and want!

Randy in Indy

PC
    Randy in Indy,

Randy I must say first and foremost THANK YOU!!! I really mean that, your words of encouragement really meant alot to me. I've found everyone on the site to be very encouraging and I thank you all. This is a path we all would rather not have had to chart, but since we had no choice in the matter its pleasant to know that we are not traveling alone. I have a long hard uncertain road ahead of me, but with the support I'm getting from you, the site and family and friends it makes each day alittle more managable. I'm not afraid to say I'm uncertain of the things to come, but at the least I realize that I'm not alone, and thats speaks volumes in itself. Thanks again to you and everyone else, I'll keep in touch with everyone and please all do the say for me, I to am interested in everyones progress and wishing all well, I pray for you all. I'm going to see Dr. Patel (Hes a Robotics Da Vinci Surgeon) next week and I'm hoping for the best. Until then THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL!!

TONYJR
  • TonyJr
    johndz said:

You are not alone
    Hi Tony, just relax, pray, study, research and learn more about PC to make a proper decision to fit your situation. I was shocked when this happen to me. This forum give me a lot of hope, peace, comfortable to handle my problem. Earlier PC detection will be a big help! Thanks God, new technology, good surgery and our firends and love one will help us get over our tough time. I have Davincy in on 12/18/09 - I have my life back almost normal now( Just 8 weeks) . Since PC detection on me. I though this world is collapse, I can't sleep and worry too much. Good to read about this forum and have your love one help you to get more information if you can. My wife call hospital to find out about each doctor experiences records (Kaiser N california) - get second opinion - learn each available PC curing process to see a PRO and CON of each process and which one will be more favorable and benefit to your situation and make a confortable decision from there. Keep going with excercise to make your body heathty will be a big help for fast recovery. A lot of our friends on this forum will give us a lot supports and information on our PC journey.

Good luck Tony.

John(California)

PC
    Thank you John(California),

I appreciate your words of encouragement I'm so glad everything went well for you, I'm hoping for the same in my situation. I've more or less decided to have Da Vinci, I'm just waiting to speak with Dr. Patel, he's suppose to be the best, most PC Da Vinci surgeries
    ever. One of my friends Dr. Spunberg is a Radiation Oncologist and at his advice we think
    Robotics might be the best step initially because of my age and stage at this point. Time will tell once I speak with Dr. Patel and see what other test he may want me to have. I again thank you and everyone else for the kind words and direction. Please keep me posted with your recovery and I will with you all also. Again THANK YOU for your kind words and wisdom.

TonyJr.
  • TonyJr
    lewvino said:

Tony,
    As others have said

Tony,
    As others have said read, read, read about this cancer. The more you know the better you can fight it. My Dad had PC but I was still shocked when I found out. Count your blessings that they have found it early.

We are here for you with all the support we can give. If you ever want to talk to anyone just shoot us a message.

Larry age 55

PC
    Thank you Larry,

I will, I count my blessings everyday, this is really testing my belief in god and in life itself, but as they say, God will not give you any more than you can handle, it could be alot worst. I know hes not testing me, but man!!! Thank you for all your support and I wish you well, can't wait to see 55 years young as yourself...:)

THANKS AGAIN!!

TONYJR.
  • TonyJr
    Trew said:

At 44

PC
    Thanks Trew,

I spoke with my Oncologist about that and we decided Robotics Da Vinci might be better for me at this point...but thank you for your advice, I'll be sure to tell you all how it went, bad and good!!

Thanks again,
    TonyJr
  • TonyJr

MOJO found!
    Hi Tony Jr.

Dakotarunner POPC!

PC
    HEY DAKOTARUNNER,

I'm sure your right about getting that MOJO back, lord knows I miss it...kindof feeling lost without it, not to mention my fiance misses it also....lol I THANK YOU for your support and encouragement its well needed and appreciated I promise you.

As far as treatment is concerned, I think Robotics is the treatment for me, its seems overwhelming that most everyone at my age and stage has decided to do. Plus my friend a
    Radiation Oncologist feels that might be the best for me and I trust his opinion....I work in the medical field and ironically I use to work as a MOHS TECH, dealing with patients with skin cancers. How ironic is that, now I'm the patient.....WOW talk about curves!!

I wish you the best and please keep me posted on your progress as I will you also. Again THANK YOU for your support and kind words.

Thanks again,

TonyJr
  • TonyJr
    erisian said:

Don't Rush
    Don't rush into surgery, or any other treatment for that matter. Take your time and find out what is right for you!

Your elevated PSA is just that. Have you had a biopsy yet?

PC
    Hey Erisian,

I have done alot of soul searching via books, friends, enternet and consultations...I think
    the Robot Da Vinci is for me...reluctantly but it is what it is...

I had a biopsy done, 4 of 12 were positive...hopefully still within the prostate...bone scan negative...off to see the surgeon next week...I'll keep you all posted on my findings and progress...

THANK AGAIN ERISIAN,

TONYJR
  • TonyJr
    jminnj said:

Tony, As the previous
    Tony, As the previous posters have stated, we are here for you. It is a bit of a shock to hear those words. It sounds like you caught this early and i wish you all the best as you move forward with your treatment. I am 47 and found out in November, just had my DaVinci surgery 4 weeks ago. We told our kids up front (19 yr old son and 16 yr old daughter). I think the approach you take is huge. When we told the kids, I gave them all the info to emphasize that we caught it early and that it was treatable and potentially curable. They had some questions, especially my son, but all in all the conversation was a good one.
    My surgeon said something to me on the day he told me the news. He said, "Don't look at this as the day you were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, look at this as the day we saved your life."
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Joe

PC
    Hey Joe,

THANK YOU, I appreciate your support, I'm waiting to advise my son because he lives clear cross the country and I don't want to alarm him right now, theres nothing he can do and I don't want to worry him. I'll probably tell him once my surgery date is set, hopefully next week sometime, but thank you again for the advice and encouragement. I'm glad everything went well for you, please keep me posted with your progress. I appreciate anything you can tell me about the surgery itself. I must say your Doctors words were very well spoken....and yes he is right about that. THANK YOU AGAIN!!

TONY JR
  • TonyJr
    Kentr said:

Tony
    Hang in there, we are all here for you.

Kent

PC
    Hey Kent,

THANK YOU for your encouragement, and it is very comforting to know I do have friends I can reach out to that are aware of my concerns. THANK YOU, again for your support.

TonyJr
  • jminnj
    TonyJr said:

PC
    Hey Joe,

THANK YOU, I appreciate your support, I'm waiting to advise my son because he lives clear cross the country and I don't want to alarm him right now, theres nothing he can do and I don't want to worry him. I'll probably tell him once my surgery date is set, hopefully next week sometime, but thank you again for the advice and encouragement. I'm glad everything went well for you, please keep me posted with your progress. I appreciate anything you can tell me about the surgery itself. I must say your Doctors words were very well spoken....and yes he is right about that. THANK YOU AGAIN!!

TONY JR

Surgery
    Tony, The day prior to the surgery I was on a clear liquid diet and then in the late afternoon, I had to drink a 12 oz bottle of a bowel prep. It was not that bad actually. The stuff you have to drink for a colonoscopy is much worse. My surgery was slated for 730AM so I needed to be in the hospital by 6AM. They took me to the OR and the last thing I remember was them putting the mask for anesthesia on my face. I do not really have any recollection of the recovery room (although the nurses said I had them laughing with whatever I was saying). When I got back to the room they gave me a non-narcotic pain reliever (toradol). Got an okay night of sleep (they wake you every couple of hours to do vitals). The next morning had a light breakfast, got up walked around a bit, and then was discharged by 11am.
    I would have agree with many on of the guys in this forum, that the catheter for the week after the surgery was the most annoying part of this. Not painful, just irritating and annoying. I ended up with 6 incisions (4 small ones along the lower abdomen, one at the navel, and one a little higher to the left. For pain, the most I took was some tylenol. My doc prescribed percocet, but I decided not to use it. I had it once before when I had my gallbladder removed and it made feel way too loopy.
    I was pretty nervous and anxious about the surgery and the level of pain, but it was not as bad as I expected (and to be honest I usually don't do well with pain).

I know this is a bit long, but I hope it helps give you some idea of what to expect. If you have any questions, let me know

Joe
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Hi Tony
    Of the four cores that were positive, what was the involvement of each?

Suggest that you get a second opinion from an expert in the field (Dr. Epstein, Johns Hopkins is a good choice) on the parrifin blocks from your biopsy so that you will not be under or over treated

Ira
    Active Surveillance at UCLA
    Diagnosed 3/09 for 66 birthday
    By chance doc found a bump in the cavity , not on the prostate(which turned out to be non cancerous)
    PSA's had been at 2.26/2.27 for a few years
    Biopsy 3/09 Gleason 3+3=6 2 of 12 cores positive- 5 percent involvement in each
    second opinion john hopkins
    4/09 MRI with spectroscopy, no nodule involvement, staged t1
    Aureon molecular test on biopsy, 97 percent chance will not progressin next 8 years
    PSA Jan 2.2, JUly 2.5, November 2.6, February 2010 2.0
    Reaching one year aniversity of diagnosis
  • jminnj

jminij - What a Great Comment and Perspective from the Doc
    "Don't look at this as the day you were diagnosed with Prostate Cancer, look at this as the day we saved your life."

Randy,
    Yeah, it really

Randy,

Yeah, it really helped me through the process to think of it in those terms.

Joe