Robotic Surgery

Dunadain
Dunadain Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, My name is Mick. In March 2008 I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was stage 4, I was told it was terminal. Of course I was devastated. Not so much for me, but for my wife and 2 sons. I started out at Northridge Hospital in Ca. For 2 months I lived with the fact that I was going to die. Later, my doctor called and he had gotten me referred to City of Hope Hospital. After my first visit, I was not given much of a chance by the oncologist. I was later called by a surgeon who wanted me to come back for another consultation. He told me he wanted to try robotic surgery on me. See, my tumor had spread to my stomach, spleen, liver, pancreas, diaphragm , and lung. He told me it would be along shot, but they wanted to try it. I had nothing to lose. I wanted any hope they could give me. Long story short, and after 3 surgeries, one of which was 9 hours, plus 6 months of chemo, I am now cancer free. Don't ever give up.

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Thanks Mick. This is exactly
    Thanks Mick. This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. You've restored a lot of hope in me today.
    Roger
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Crow71 said:

Thanks Mick. This is exactly
    Thanks Mick. This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning. You've restored a lot of hope in me today.
    Roger

WOW! I am so happy for you!
    WOW! I am so happy for you! Your story certainly gives many a renewed inspiration!

lizzy
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Mick
    What an inspiring story. Thank you for sharing that. Did the robotic surgery take out the tumor and anything else?
    You see, my sister is in your boat. She too has stage IV cc. She has endured an emergency resection and removal of her ovaries, 10 months of chemo and an aborted liver resection a few weeks ago. It has also spread to her pancreas, stomach and liver, to the point of no resection.
    Can you give me the name of your surgeon?
    Thanks!
    Marie
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Wow Mick! That's HUGE!
    Wow Mick! That's HUGE!

Thanks so much for sharing this.
    Diane
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Mick
    What a story of inspiration and courage!! Thanks for posting this fantastic news to the board and I wish you all the best.

Amy
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Here Also
    I did robot surgery as well - it was a success.

Congrats on your victory - that was some kind of surgery you had done. Glad you are ok.
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    WOW!!
    I just teased my doc about that when I saw him looking at something on the computer and he said, "not yet" and laughed. OMG I think that is the most awesome news. I'm so glad you got your life back. Mick,hope you can come to CP8 so that we can get to know you.

Jo Ann
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Mick,
    Thanks for sharing

Mick,

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story with all of us + congratulations with your success!
  • ckinsky
    ckinsky Member Posts: 1
    oh my !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I HAVE to speak with you ASAP! I too am a Stage IV cancer diagnosis and am looking for a cure as I am a mom to three young children (4, 7, 9) and need HOPE! Your story gives me HOPE. I have mets to liver and abdominal area. Long story. Can you contact me ASAP 805-452-6039? Or send me an email cpkinsky@yahoo.com.
    Thanks!
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Wow,amazing story.Thanks to
    Wow,amazing story.Thanks to you for sharing your story with us.What an inspiration to us!
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Wonderful!
    Thank you so much for sharing such an ispirational story! There are those of us on this board that will no doubt be hopeful after hearing about your experience!

Congratulations on your NED status!

Hugs,
    Krista
  • sfmarie
    Bumping this up
    Mick, if you see this can you please let us know whom you see at City of Hope?
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Fantastic!
    Wow, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm so glad you didn't give up, and found a surgeon that didn't give up!
  • Brenda3.16
    Brenda3.16 Member Posts: 209

Fantastic!
    Wow, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm so glad you didn't give up, and found a surgeon that didn't give up!

Thank you for sharing that
    Thank you for sharing that story. I am Stage IV with mets to the liver and lungs, and have been told surgery is not an option. It is so inspiring to hear stories like yours !
  • sfmarie

Thank you for sharing that
    Thank you for sharing that story. I am Stage IV with mets to the liver and lungs, and have been told surgery is not an option. It is so inspiring to hear stories like yours !

Bump
    This post up.