Runny nose

bdee
bdee Member Posts: 304
edited March 2023 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Does anyone have a constantly running nose all the time? I take clarinex (even though my oncology doctor suggested I don't) because if I don't the stuff runs down my throat and out my nose. I go through a box of Puffs in a week, I have to use the kind with lotion or my nose goes all red.
I can't blow my nose because the Avastin makes me bleed too much and if I blow, a nose bleed for a 1/2 hour.
This has been going on for about 8 months and my doctor knows about it but says it has nothing to do with chemo.

Debbie in Arkansas

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    5 FU?
    Are you also on 5FU? My nose ran like crazy. My eyes watered like I was crying. My nose NEVER runs so I know it was chemo.

I typed in 5 FU runny nose and got soooooo many hits. They all say: Symptoms may include cholinergic syndrome (may include runny nose, increased saliva, tears and stomach cramps.
  • bdee

5 FU?
    Are you also on 5FU? My nose ran like crazy. My eyes watered like I was crying. My nose NEVER runs so I know it was chemo.

I typed in 5 FU runny nose and got soooooo many hits. They all say: Symptoms may include cholinergic syndrome (may include runny nose, increased saliva, tears and stomach cramps.

Yes
    I am on 5FU. My eyes don't water that much, but I do have trouble swallowing some times because of so much saliva.

Thanks,
    Debbie
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    runny nose
    Hi, I'm on Avastin and irinotecan and I have a runny nose constantly! It's worse after treatment and sort of tapers off before I start again! I am the tissue queen! Jean
  • bdee

runny nose
    Hi, I'm on Avastin and irinotecan and I have a runny nose constantly! It's worse after treatment and sort of tapers off before I start again! I am the tissue queen! Jean

Avastin
    Does taking Avastin make you bleed profusely? There are times I just want to blow my nose off it runs so bad and the running never tapers off for me.

Thanks.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    bdee said:

Avastin
    Does taking Avastin make you bleed profusely? There are times I just want to blow my nose off it runs so bad and the running never tapers off for me.

Thanks.

Yes and Yes
    There was a huge thread on colon club and I've seen it mentioned here. 5FU made me have nosebleeds.

Terry on colon club is a triage nurse. She said to gently blow out the clot and then pinch the nose closed for 5 - 10 minutes minimum. This allows a new clot to form. This is worsened in the winter because it's so dry.

I have never had a bloody nose or nose bleed until 5FU.

Type in Avastin bloody nose: Avastin side effects... Acid or sour stomach; belching; bloody nose; change in walking and balance ...
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Hi Debbie. My nose starting
    Hi Debbie. My nose starting running about fifteen minutes into my first treatment in September and hasn't stopped since. I carry tissue with me everywhere. I can get away with blowing very gently. I don't want to contradict your dr., but my runny nose is a direct side effect of chemo.

Doesn't it suck when you think your nose is running, and you don't really pay attention when you wipe it because you've wiped it 20 times in the last ten minutes, and then you realize you are bleeding all over the place? Or does that just happen to me?

Roger in North Carolina
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Yap
    Hi,
    My husband's nose runs all the time. The chemo made it run and the avastin makes it bleed. He doesn't take anything for it just deals with it. We should have bought stock in the kleenex company. I am affraid it is just one of the side effects. Paula
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Crow71 said:

Hi Debbie. My nose starting running about fifteen minutes into my first treatment in September and hasn't stopped since. I carry tissue with me everywhere. I can get away with blowing very gently. I don't want to contradict your dr., but my runny nose is a direct side effect of chemo.

Doesn't it suck when you think your nose is running, and you don't really pay attention when you wipe it because you've wiped it 20 times in the last ten minutes, and then you realize you are bleeding all over the place? Or does that just happen to me?

Roger in North Carolina

Roger,
    The same thing

Roger,
    The same thing happened to John when he was at work. He said he felt like he grossed out everyone.
    They all understood.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Paula G. said:

Yap
    Hi,
    My husband's nose runs all the time. The chemo made it run and the avastin makes it bleed. He doesn't take anything for it just deals with it. We should have bought stock in the kleenex company. I am affraid it is just one of the side effects. Paula

Mine ran when I started chemo......
    and quit when I finished...............period.....never a nosebleed though....Oxy/leu/5fu
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Buzzard said:

Mine ran when I started chemo......
    and quit when I finished...............period.....never a nosebleed though....Oxy/leu/5fu

Nosebleeds
    I take Avastin and 5FU........ Nosebleeds got soooooooooo bad that the blood ran out even when I didn't blow my nose..... so fast it would hit my shirt before I could even get a kleenex up to my nose. I posted a thread on here and got a lot of suggestions. I don't remember who it was that said to try a saline nasal spray (thank you so much!!!) BUT.... it was like a miracle cure. My nosebleeds are at a minimum now. I could not believe how well it works! I use it first thing in the morning....wait about 10 minutes and then do my first blow of the day..... I still get light blood here and there.... BUT.. I also got REAL snot...ewe..gross....but it's those small things that make me happy..LOL. At night I always put vaseline or neosporin in each nostril to keep it from drying out and then those buggies are soft and much easier on the nose. I use the spray throughout the day when I feel my nose getting dry.

Jennie
  • abmb
    abmb Member Posts: 311
    When my husband was on chemo
    When my husband was on chemo he always had a runny nose to the point that when he would sneeze I would take cover. He also had watery eyes all the time. I always asked if he was okay and he would ask why, I would say it looks like you are crying. He didn't even notice sometimes that his eyes were watery. Now that he is finished with his chemo the runny nose has stopped. Take care and keep applying lotion. Margaret
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member

Nosebleeds
    I take Avastin and 5FU........ Nosebleeds got soooooooooo bad that the blood ran out even when I didn't blow my nose..... so fast it would hit my shirt before I could even get a kleenex up to my nose. I posted a thread on here and got a lot of suggestions. I don't remember who it was that said to try a saline nasal spray (thank you so much!!!) BUT.... it was like a miracle cure. My nosebleeds are at a minimum now. I could not believe how well it works! I use it first thing in the morning....wait about 10 minutes and then do my first blow of the day..... I still get light blood here and there.... BUT.. I also got REAL snot...ewe..gross....but it's those small things that make me happy..LOL. At night I always put vaseline or neosporin in each nostril to keep it from drying out and then those buggies are soft and much easier on the nose. I use the spray throughout the day when I feel my nose getting dry.

Jennie

Hey Jennie. I've been
    Hey Jennie. I've been wondering how you and your nose have been. I'm so happy to hear the bleeding has gotten better and that you have gotten "REAL snot" and soft buggies. Awesome!!!
    Keep on blowin'
    Roger
  • pluckey
    pluckey Member Posts: 484 Member
    me too
    i have a bloody nose in the morning- about 6 blows worth and runny all day..i didn't connect it to the chemo at all but i bet it is....really annoying.
    i keep a tube of aquafor in my purse and bathrobe and smea it under my nose all day long....

i'm on 5fu, leucavorin and erbatux..ironotecean previously

peggy
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Me too!
    I have had a constant runny nose for the last several months. Based on all this input, it must be from the chemo. I also have bloody nose episodes and I attribute this to the Avastin.

You are not alone. I am unsure how long it will last. I have been off chemo now for a month and still the runny nose.

Mike
  • bdee
    Crow71 said:

Roger in North Carolina

Roger
    No, it happens to me too. I never know if it is blood or mucous coming out of my nose. I really hate it to happen when I'm around people. It kind of freaks them out when my nose just starts bleeding for no reason.
  • bdee
    menright said:

Me too!
    I have had a constant runny nose for the last several months. Based on all this input, it must be from the chemo. I also have bloody nose episodes and I attribute this to the Avastin.

You are not alone. I am unsure how long it will last. I have been off chemo now for a month and still the runny nose.

Mike

Thanks to everyone
    Your replies really help. I have trouble believing my doctor sometimes. I think he doesn't tell me the side affects of the chemo because he thinks I'll have the side affects just because he told me about them. Does he think I'm a hypochondriac? (I have no idea if I spelled that right)

Thanks,
    Debbie in Arkansas
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    OH MY GOODNESS!! I thought
    OH MY GOODNESS!! I thought it was just me!! I know the nosebleeds are common with Avastin, but I thought the constant runny nose was only my issue! And I sneeze constantly too! I'm glad you started this thread because I thought I was the only person with the runny nose issue.

-Sheri
  • bdee
    luv3jay said:

OH MY GOODNESS!! I thought
    OH MY GOODNESS!! I thought it was just me!! I know the nosebleeds are common with Avastin, but I thought the constant runny nose was only my issue! And I sneeze constantly too! I'm glad you started this thread because I thought I was the only person with the runny nose issue.

-Sheri

Sneeze
    I also have the sneezing issue. Really makes it gross if you were just about to blow your nose and you sneeze. Gross!!

THanks,
    Debbie in Arkansas
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
    bdee said:

Sneeze
    I also have the sneezing issue. Really makes it gross if you were just about to blow your nose and you sneeze. Gross!!

THanks,
    Debbie in Arkansas

nose bleeds
    I am on Xeloda 3000 mg for 14 days off 7 and my nose runs all the time I ask mt ONC about the blood I was blowing and he said it was due to dry weather..just buy alot of clean-x I also have a cough like a cold comming on but not sick...
  • syfox
    syfox Member Posts: 1
    Runny nose
    i am being treated for lung cancer with a platin family drug & it caused a fairly steady runny nose. My pharmacist suggested a saline spray called NasaMist (over the counter) at Rite Aid - it worked.