running out of chemo options and money

crazylady
crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. It has been a long time since I have posted. I hope you will be able to give me some ideas.

I had chemo today. I have mets to my lungs. I have now reacted to oxi and cpt11 and can no longer receive them. I carry the k-ras mutation so erbitux is not an option. I spent 2009 stable on xeloda and avastin, but scans in December showed growth of existing lung mets. I have had 1 resection on each lung. After the second resection new mets showed up within 3 months. I am now considered inoperable and not a candidate for RFA because 1 spot is too close to an artery. I have been to UCLA and City of Hope for 2nd and 3rd opinions. They have had nothing to offer me.

I am extremely frustrated and upset. I don't feel sick from cancer, only from chemo side effects. I have been doing this for almost 6 years and am not ready to throw in the towel. I'm way too young and healthy to just let it go.

I am also having financial problems. I was a stay at home Mom for many years and qualify for nothing. I fall through every crack in the system.
I have insurance with a $4,000 deductible for the year which I cannot pay. I am looking for any agency that can help with the deductible. Any suggestions or information that you have is greatly appreciated.

Take care and have a good night!
Jamie

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Jamie........
    I picked up a pamphlet at my Oncs office about financial institutions that help cancer patients with different things such as deductibles, gas, etc. I will see if I can find it again and I will post it up for you... sometimes because of the enormity of the treatment charges the onc or surgeons will sometimes write off the deductible expense for you. Maybe you can speak with financial aid at your treatment facility...
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438
    Jamie
    I am so saddened to hear that you are going through such a terrible time with this disease. I can relate to the financial burdens you are facing. I had to close my business in Aug.09 and because I did not show a profit or pay into Social Security for the last five years, I am not eligible for SS disability. If I live to be 62 I have money paid in from the twenty other years that I was in the work force, but I cannot get it now. Ridiculous! My insurance deductible is $5,000.00. I was given a couple of websites, by the nurse assigned to me by my insuror, to apply for financial assistance for co-pays and deductibles. I have not taken the time to apply but I will happily share the info with you. I hope they will be of some help.

www.copays.org
    www.cancercare.org

Sorry I don't know how to link them so you will have to copy and paste them. Perhaps if Diane sees this post she can do it, she seems very proficient at it. :)

Blessings,
    Joanne
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    JDuke said:

Jamie
    I am so saddened to hear that you are going through such a terrible time with this disease. I can relate to the financial burdens you are facing. I had to close my business in Aug.09 and because I did not show a profit or pay into Social Security for the last five years, I am not eligible for SS disability. If I live to be 62 I have money paid in from the twenty other years that I was in the work force, but I cannot get it now. Ridiculous! My insurance deductible is $5,000.00. I was given a couple of websites, by the nurse assigned to me by my insuror, to apply for financial assistance for co-pays and deductibles. I have not taken the time to apply but I will happily share the info with you. I hope they will be of some help.

www.copays.org
    www.cancercare.org

Sorry I don't know how to link them so you will have to copy and paste them. Perhaps if Diane sees this post she can do it, she seems very proficient at it. :)

Blessings,
    Joanne

You should be in decent shape
    I know this sounds crazy but you could consider yourself in pretty good shape going forward. Yes you have cancer, but for now it is isolated to your lungs. If you can keep it that way you should be alright for some time. We seem to be in similar situation, except i have significant liver involvement. If you can keep your liver and brain clean you've got a really good chance of surviving a long time, probably until something can come along and cure you. I say, stay with the chemo as long as you're comfortable then relax, get healthy and see what happens. If you get some brain or liver involvement you can get gamma knife on your brain, and many different treatments for the liver. This might be something good. Just keep getting checked and start feeling better.
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Jamie
    You can read my sister's story on my profile. She too had a second opinion at UCLA (nothing to offer). City of Hope (they said stay on chemo) and now USC (where today she is having liver surgery). Her cc is in her liver and peritoneum. Dr. Lenz is the guy to see there. Maybe you can go there?

Do you not qualify for some type of disability? I will ask around regarding not being able to afford the high deductible and see if there is something that you may qualify for to help with that.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. Do not give up!
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    For help....
    Hey Jamie, I heard about an organization that helps those with 'one time' type needs. I don't know much about them but you can apply online for help at

Modest Needs, Click Here
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    thank you
    Thanks to all of you that replied to my post. I have an appointment next week to look into clinical trials. I don't really think I'm ready for that yet, but I want to look at all options.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and has some fun and relaxation!

Jamie