Remission, that golden word

stayingcalm
stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Well, this was the word my oncologist used today, and I cried with happiness. But I read Rosi's thread (http://csn.cancer.org/node/182069) when I got home, and now I'm afraid to be too happy about it in case that golden word gets yanked away...

Comments

• congoody
    congoody Member Posts: 73
    that golden word
    oh please do not be afraid to be too happy - life can be a safe six out of ten most of the time but sometimes it really is ten out of ten - enjoy it -there is the same risk hanging onto your safe six as there is in enjoying the tens when they happen - best wishes and happy day - connie
  • stayingcalm
    congoody said:

that golden word
    oh please do not be afraid to be too happy - life can be a safe six out of ten most of the time but sometimes it really is ten out of ten - enjoy it -there is the same risk hanging onto your safe six as there is in enjoying the tens when they happen - best wishes and happy day - connie

six out of ten
    Connie, what a wonderful way to look at it! Thank you!
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member

six out of ten
    Connie, what a wonderful way to look at it! Thank you!

CELEBRATE!!
    stayingcalm, In case you don't remember my story here's a very quick recap. Last summer they found a large mass in my upper right lobe. The ER doc told me with great certainty that I had cancer based entirely on a CT scan. Over the next 2 months I had 3 biopsies and a PET scan all yielding no cancer but still firm answers either way. They finally told me it's not cancer but probably parasites, and the parasites might have invaded my heart. This scared me a heck of a lot more than cancer, as such an invasion could take my life at any second.

I finally got so sick they did the UR lobectomy and it turned out to be a bad bacterial infection that had caused the mass. I should have been jumping with joy. right? But like you, I was afraid something else would come up and it would be taken away. It took about a month for me to come out of my state of fear and to finally realize I had been given a second chance.

I have been celebrating every day since then and this is the happiest time of my life. I know my experience wasn't as awful as what some of you have been through, however I do understand the fear of not knowing what's ahead and when/if it will be resolved.

My friend, you have scored a major victory and you have kicked some cancer a$$. I say the party starts NOW!! And to prove it, I will raise a glass of wine in your honor tonight. Here's to you. :-)
  • stayingcalm

CELEBRATE!!
    stayingcalm, In case you don't remember my story here's a very quick recap. Last summer they found a large mass in my upper right lobe. The ER doc told me with great certainty that I had cancer based entirely on a CT scan. Over the next 2 months I had 3 biopsies and a PET scan all yielding no cancer but still firm answers either way. They finally told me it's not cancer but probably parasites, and the parasites might have invaded my heart. This scared me a heck of a lot more than cancer, as such an invasion could take my life at any second.

I finally got so sick they did the UR lobectomy and it turned out to be a bad bacterial infection that had caused the mass. I should have been jumping with joy. right? But like you, I was afraid something else would come up and it would be taken away. It took about a month for me to come out of my state of fear and to finally realize I had been given a second chance.

I have been celebrating every day since then and this is the happiest time of my life. I know my experience wasn't as awful as what some of you have been through, however I do understand the fear of not knowing what's ahead and when/if it will be resolved.

My friend, you have scored a major victory and you have kicked some cancer a$$. I say the party starts NOW!! And to prove it, I will raise a glass of wine in your honor tonight. Here's to you. :-)

Celebrating
    Thank you, PBJ, and cheers!
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Enjoy it
    I was told on January 8th that I am in remission and like you I cried tears of happiness. Like you I also worry that it can all change so quickly. Thanks to a friend who is also a cancer survivor I am learning to not worry about the future and enjoy today. He told me that cancer patients live from scan to scan but the secret is to learn to really live life to the fullest in between scans.

Congratulations on the great news, relax and enjoy yourself and celebrate!!
  • CCAOG
    CCAOG Member Posts: 31
    Glenna M said:

Enjoy it
    I was told on January 8th that I am in remission and like you I cried tears of happiness. Like you I also worry that it can all change so quickly. Thanks to a friend who is also a cancer survivor I am learning to not worry about the future and enjoy today. He told me that cancer patients live from scan to scan but the secret is to learn to really live life to the fullest in between scans.

Congratulations on the great news, relax and enjoy yourself and celebrate!!

Whoooo Hooooooo
    Thats right! jump up and down. Scream at the top of your lungs. If your like me it won't wake the neighbors, but it will feel right. Hey I got the remission word in September, on my birthday no less. Just started chemo again for new spots. It's like a boxing match, some fights only last one round, others go for 2 or 3 or 4. But in all of them both fighters keep getting up cause you don't know when the knock out will happen. Victory is just around the corner. So is our parrrrrrty. All of us on this site have so much to be thankful for and to celebrate. Don't worry be happy. I mean really, hot dang girl!!!!
  • pkaz53
    pkaz53 Member Posts: 84
    CCAOG said:

Whoooo Hooooooo
    Thats right! jump up and down. Scream at the top of your lungs. If your like me it won't wake the neighbors, but it will feel right. Hey I got the remission word in September, on my birthday no less. Just started chemo again for new spots. It's like a boxing match, some fights only last one round, others go for 2 or 3 or 4. But in all of them both fighters keep getting up cause you don't know when the knock out will happen. Victory is just around the corner. So is our parrrrrrty. All of us on this site have so much to be thankful for and to celebrate. Don't worry be happy. I mean really, hot dang girl!!!!

Wonderful !!!!
    Way to go girl --We'll be dancing in the streets tonight -- Apple, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie who's not ready holler I, lets all play hide and seek....This is great news :) time to celebrate with some cranberry juice.
  • Laura88
    Laura88 Member Posts: 47
    You have been through so
    You have been through so much!!! Please just try to relax and enjoy. The two weeks of remission I had were short and it was so hard to hear otherwise, but I am so glad I had them. they were two wonderful weeks.
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    Laura88 said:

You have been through so
    You have been through so much!!! Please just try to relax and enjoy. The two weeks of remission I had were short and it was so hard to hear otherwise, but I am so glad I had them. they were two wonderful weeks.

Celebrate
    Celebrate every chance you get..... Congratulations. I hope everything goes well for you. I just got word that my 1 1/2 year check was NED. So I am all for celeb rating.
    Praying for everyone.