ColonPalooza 8

StacyGleaso
StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Don and Joann, our ColonPalooza hosts this year, have sent out the following details regarding this year's Palooza. Hope to see many newbies AND most "veterans" there!

~Stacy

P.S. I must say that I am a tad bit disappointed regarding the discussion boards....we "veterans" have prided ourselves in having more posts than the "Breast Cancer" discussion board, but I now see that has changed. I encourage all of us to do our part to make our discussion portion of this site more OVER THE TOP than all others! lol

Hello ColonPalooza Friends,

With the possibility of having ColonPalooza 8 in Fort Worth this year I have been talking to the Worthington Fort Worth Hotel.

See this link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dfwdt-the-worthington-renaissance-fort-worth-hotel/ .

The Worthington is Fort Worth 's original AAA Four-Diamond luxury hotel located in the heart of Downtown in historic Sundance Square . Jo Ann and I have stayed at the hotel and it is great. To get the cheapest rate at this normally expensive hotel we need to have ColonPalooza 8 starting on Oct. 13th and ending on the 17th. I have negotiated the following with this hotel. If I block 15 rooms and guarantee 10 we can get a rate of $139/night which is a fabulous rate for this hotel. They will also let anyone in our group add two days before the 13th (11th and 12th) and/or two days after the night of the 16th (17th and 18th) for the same rate. I am assuming we would have higher attendance than we had in Key West due to Fort Worth being more in the center of the country, plus DFW and Love Field usually have reasonably priced flights to most of the country.

First I need to know if most are in agreement with having ColonPalooza 8 in Fort Worth this year and whether most are in agreement with the Oct. 13th to Oct. 17th dates. If most of want to have it in Fort Worth then I need to know whether you most likely would attend and reserve a room at the Worthington Hotel for at least the nights of Oct. 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th. Once I feel comfortable that enough people are going to attend, I can block 15 and personally guarantee 10 rooms. If I don’t feel comfortable guaranteeing 10 rooms then I will have to go back and negotiate again with the hotel.

The hotel said that currently they have plenty of open rooms for that week, but the weeks on either side of that week are getting tighter. Therefore, they suggested that if at all possible we make up our mind and get back with them next week to ensure we have enough rooms blocked.

So I need everyone’s response to having ColonPaloooza 8 in Fort Worth , plus whether you plan to attend ASAP so we can take advantage of the negotiated rates at the Worthington Fort Worth Hotel. Forward me any questions and I will try and get back with you ASAP. Please feel free to forward this email to anyone who you think would be interested in attending that I left off my email list.

Thanks,
Don and Jo Ann Smith

Comments

• Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Stacy, Don and Jo Ann Smith
    I live in Arlington, Texas - which is right down the interstate from me about 20 miles - so this would be great for me to be able to attend my 1st Palooza in my "home state."

If it is held here, I would certainly come, but live so close that I would just drive to and forth from home and would not rent a room.

But for the rest of the group, your info is correct - the hotel is nice, the rates are good, Sundance Square is wonderful - Cowtown is just up the road in Historic Forth Worth. So, this would be a really nice time. Texans are great people and some of the friendliest around - the weather is very good in October, so there's nothing to have but a good time.

The dates are great for me - if it's Forth Worth, then Howdy and Welcome Semi;Colons. So, I'm on board with Fort Worth, but it's not up to me. Great job on your homework and all you said is absolutely true.

Take care
    Big Tex
    -Craig
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Stacy, Don and Jo Ann Smith
    I live in Arlington, Texas - which is right down the interstate from me about 20 miles - so this would be great for me to be able to attend my 1st Palooza in my "home state."

If it is held here, I would certainly come, but live so close that I would just drive to and forth from home and would not rent a room.

But for the rest of the group, your info is correct - the hotel is nice, the rates are good, Sundance Square is wonderful - Cowtown is just up the road in Historic Forth Worth. So, this would be a really nice time. Texans are great people and some of the friendliest around - the weather is very good in October, so there's nothing to have but a good time.

The dates are great for me - if it's Forth Worth, then Howdy and Welcome Semi;Colons. So, I'm on board with Fort Worth, but it's not up to me. Great job on your homework and all you said is absolutely true.

Take care
    Big Tex
    -Craig

That ain't no fun
    You miss out by not staying at the hotel!!!! The planned group events are great but the casual just hanging out times like; eating breakfast or sitting by the pool can be the really special times.

You should stay in the hotel at least a few nites.

Lisa P.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    scouty said:

That ain't no fun
    You miss out by not staying at the hotel!!!! The planned group events are great but the casual just hanging out times like; eating breakfast or sitting by the pool can be the really special times.

Lisa P.

Good Point :)
    Thanks for that insight, Lisa - I'll think it back over - you are right, sometimes the "unplanned" things in life are the magic - good perspective.

-Craig
  • StacyGleaso
    scouty said:

That ain't no fun

Lisa P.

SOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo True!
    Yep, Lisa is right, you need to hang at the hotel to get the FULL BLOWN experience! The down time inbetween the activities is priceless!

Yeah, Lisa, my calendar @ work looks perfect for Palooza-ing!

Hugs,
    Stacy

P.S. Congrats on the Semi Colons for putting the breast cancer posts back where they belong, @ the #2 spot! If I see one more pink ribbon, I may not be responsible for my actions...lol
  • mamalala
    mamalala Member Posts: 25
    Need more info
    Stacy, need more information about the ColonPalooza, since I am a newbie. Please link me to more details; particularly, want agenda/activities. I'd be coming from Ohio so it is a far trip for me. Thanks much.
  • StacyGleaso
    mamalala said:

Need more info
    Stacy, need more information about the ColonPalooza, since I am a newbie. Please link me to more details; particularly, want agenda/activities. I'd be coming from Ohio so it is a far trip for me. Thanks much.

Info
    The people to contact are Joann & Don Smith. They are hosting it. I'm coming from Indiana, and am really looking forward to it!

Here are some possible activities that are being considered:

(1) Possible place to meet for the Thursday evening get together. The bar on the roof is a great place to meet. http://www.reata.net/fort-worth-restaurant.html ; http://www.reata.net/reata-fort-worth-dining-rooms.html
    (2) We have been to Pete’s Dueling Piano Bar in downtown Fort Worth and it was great fun. You can reserve a big table for a group and is walking distance from all the hotel’s http://www.petesduelingpianobar.com/
    (3) The Stockyards Historical District is about 5 or 10 minutes taxi ride north of downtown. If everyone wanted to go we could get a small bus which would be cheaper. They have a rodeo every Friday and Saturday night. Billy Bob’s is the largest honky-tonk in the world. There are also several others things to do in the Stockyards District within easy walking distance. See the attractions directory on the website. http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/
    (4) The White Elephant Saloon can be a fun place and is in the Stockyards Historical District. They have live music every night. http://www.myspace.com/whiteelephantsaloon
    (5) Here is a Fort Worth site that lists several things people might be interested in doing. Base Performance Hall and three live theaters all downtown. Pub crawl and live music. All within walking distance of the hotels http://www.fortworth.com/weekend/
    (6) If anyone is up for museums about 5 or 10 minutes taxi ride to the west of downtown are five museums all within walking distance of each other. They are all probably within three or four blocks of each other. http://www.fortworth.com/visitors/museums/
    (7) If anyone wants to make the trip to Dallas which is 30 minutes by car or over an hour by train it can be great fun. If a lot of people wanted to make a day of it we could rent a van. You can also get to the Fair by train/light rail. Leaving the downtown Fort Worth Intermodal Center the Trinity Railway Express train takes about 50 minutes to get to Victory Station in Dallas. There you have to switch to the Dart green light rail line and proceed to the Fair Park Station where the State Fair is located which takes another 20 minutes. Probably an hour and ten minutes is the best you can do. I have attached the websites for the State Fair, Trinity Railway Express, and Dart light rail. The State Fair of Texas is very large and so this is certainly a whole day for anyone wanting to go. http://www.bigtex.com/ ; http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/ ; http://www.dart.org/riding/dartrail.asp

That list was from Don & Joann. Looks to be action-packed!

Happy Monday!

Stacy
  • StacyGleaso
    mamalala said:

Need more info

More info
    I'm sure that once people start "RSVP-ing" a more solid agenda will be in place. Email Joann through here to let them know you're coming!

It's important to know that the person hosting the event is on the hook for unreserved rooms in the block. So be honest when considering your ability to attend, otherwise it provides an unnecessary risk for those securing the hotel rooms.

Thanks,
    Stacy
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    I am sort of newbie, I live in the DFW area so like Craig might not need the hotel but would love to attend! I will also think about the casual times you all have-maybe stay at the hotel? I can give you definate answer in a couple of days.
    Jan
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    thready said:

I am sort of newbie, I live in the DFW area so like Craig might not need the hotel but would love to attend! I will also think about the casual times you all have-maybe stay at the hotel? I can give you definate answer in a couple of days.
    Jan

Whew..
    I Believe $140 bucks a night is a bit steep for me, (I'm poor lol) I'm sure it's a really nice hotel though, and wish I could attend, I was looking at air-fare tickets before, and there are some pretty good deals out there I could probably get, but the hotel part is alittle expensive for me :( I may have to sit this one out :(

Hugssss!
    ~Donna
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Shayenne said:

Whew..
    I Believe $140 bucks a night is a bit steep for me, (I'm poor lol) I'm sure it's a really nice hotel though, and wish I could attend, I was looking at air-fare tickets before, and there are some pretty good deals out there I could probably get, but the hotel part is alittle expensive for me :( I may have to sit this one out :(

Hugssss!
    ~Donna

Another alternative
    I personally can't attend, but perhaps you might consider sharing a room...there are probably others who are in the same boat with the finances.

Just a thought.
  • scouty

SOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo True!
    Yep, Lisa is right, you need to hang at the hotel to get the FULL BLOWN experience! The down time inbetween the activities is priceless!

Yeah, Lisa, my calendar @ work looks perfect for Palooza-ing!

Hugs,
    Stacy

P.S. Congrats on the Semi Colons for putting the breast cancer posts back where they belong, @ the #2 spot! If I see one more pink ribbon, I may not be responsible for my actions...lol

PINK!!!!
    Great to hear about the ole calendar!!!

I've gotten really bad about the color pink, to the point of avoiding it and it is a good color on me (or was). I feel like it's gotten to be more about making money that it is about breast cancer. AND I am sick of all the people that think that since I am a woman and a cancer survivor I am a breast cancer survivor. ARGGGGGGGGG
  • scouty
    Shayenne said:

Whew..

Hugssss!
    ~Donna

Sharing a room
    Folks have shared rooms before and it seems to work out great.

When the official CP8 thread comes out with all the phone number, reservation code, etc info, you could post about it........

Lisa P.
  • StacyGleaso
    Keep this going...
    I want to keep this near the top so that anyone interested may be able to find it easily.

Happy Tuesday!

Stacy
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    I told
    my husband that I am attending this years party regardless, so count me in. Also, I (we) would be more than willing to share a room with someone or another couple if finances are tight for others.
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Shayenne said:

Whew..

Hugssss!
    ~Donna

pick me pick me....
    I think I have talked Nick into it - since we work with the BN Railroad, there are a few people in Fort Worth we want to meet - anyway - if you can get there, I bet we can figure out how to share a room! but I bet anyone here would agree with me - you are one person that just CANT sit this one out - and we will find a way to make it work!

Love ya farm partner....
  • Lisa Rose
    Lisa Rose Member Posts: 598 Member
    nudgie said:

I told
    my husband that I am attending this years party regardless, so count me in. Also, I (we) would be more than willing to share a room with someone or another couple if finances are tight for others.

CP5 pictures from Nashville
    Pictures from Colon Palooza 5 in Nashville ~ what wonderful memories.

Having attended all seven colon palooza’s I can only sad you won’t regret it. Special thanks to Don, Joann and Suzann for hosting this year’s event.

Copy and paste the link below.
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8279309369197477695&hl=en-CA#

Lisa Rose
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    scouty said:

PINK!!!!
    Great to hear about the ole calendar!!!

I've gotten really bad about the color pink, to the point of avoiding it and it is a good color on me (or was). I feel like it's gotten to be more about making money that it is about breast cancer. AND I am sick of all the people that think that since I am a woman and a cancer survivor I am a breast cancer survivor. ARGGGGGGGGG

I hear ya!
    I'm with you on that pink thing. You're right, it does seem to be more about money than about breast cancer. And yeah, what's up with people assuming that girls only get one kind of cancer? I do like the color pink, but I like blue better. I suppose I can't understand why we can be made to think about breast cancer while opening a yogurt container or having a bowel of cereal, but not be asked to think about CRC while having our bran flakes or broccoli.

Bob and I are looking at the dates for CP8 and trying to work it into our schedule. We would like to attend, but Bob is devoted to the needs of the Country and the needs of the Coast Guard (he just returned home from Haiti - you may have seen him on the National news). We will let everyone know as soon as possible.

To anyone who has not had the utmost pleasure and fun of attending a Colon Palooza, please do try to make it. It is a life changing - life affirming sort of event. It is a time of laughter and tears, laughter through tears...the very best kind. The lovely people you will meet at Palooza will be the most special you know.

We love you all!
  • StacyGleaso
    usakat said:

I hear ya!
    I'm with you on that pink thing. You're right, it does seem to be more about money than about breast cancer. And yeah, what's up with people assuming that girls only get one kind of cancer? I do like the color pink, but I like blue better. I suppose I can't understand why we can be made to think about breast cancer while opening a yogurt container or having a bowel of cereal, but not be asked to think about CRC while having our bran flakes or broccoli.

Bob and I are looking at the dates for CP8 and trying to work it into our schedule. We would like to attend, but Bob is devoted to the needs of the Country and the needs of the Coast Guard (he just returned home from Haiti - you may have seen him on the National news). We will let everyone know as soon as possible.

To anyone who has not had the utmost pleasure and fun of attending a Colon Palooza, please do try to make it. It is a life changing - life affirming sort of event. It is a time of laughter and tears, laughter through tears...the very best kind. The lovely people you will meet at Palooza will be the most special you know.

We love you all!

MIA?
    Katie,

Where have you been?????? I don't know when I talked to you last....in fact, it was easily 2 Paloozas ago...WAY TOO LONG!!! If you're around tomorrow night, I'll track you down. I'm sure there are lots of things to catch up on!!

Hugs,
    Stacy
  • StacyGleaso
    Lisa Rose said:

CP5 pictures from Nashville
    Pictures from Colon Palooza 5 in Nashville ~ what wonderful memories.

Having attended all seven colon palooza’s I can only sad you won’t regret it. Special thanks to Don, Joann and Suzann for hosting this year’s event.

Copy and paste the link below.
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8279309369197477695&hl=en-CA#

Lisa Rose

Captain Video
    Uh, Lisa...aka Captain Video....

I hope you & Andy can make it to TX for even a little portion of the Palooza! Otherwise, Kay, Scouty & I are dragging you back to Halifax!!! (I love love love it there!!)

Hugs,
    Stacy
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

Captain Video
    Uh, Lisa...aka Captain Video....

I hope you & Andy can make it to TX for even a little portion of the Palooza! Otherwise, Kay, Scouty & I are dragging you back to Halifax!!! (I love love love it there!!)

Hugs,
    Stacy

Im there..........
    and will be in rare form..........