Updated: Not diagnosed but a PSA blood level of 5.02

fathersson
fathersson Member Posts: 121
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Hello All,

Having a better day today than when I first posted my original thread a week or so ago.

I went to a very reputable urologist today who reviewed my history, blood tests etc. Upon completing the digital exam, he advised that the prostate was completely normal and he was unable to feel any problems. Also told me to leave happier than I entered. In order to be 100%,that I do not have PC he suggested a biopsy in a couple of weeks. I feel better and think I have taken a huge step here. A little concern over the pending biopsy but not that much.

In any event, I am keeping my fingers crossed and thank all of you for helping me so much with your input, suggestions and support.

Thanks again.

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    Please let us know the
    Please let us know the results of your biospy. Its a good idea to go ahead and get the test so you can rule out Prostate cancer if possible.

Larry
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Very good
    Please make sure that your doc takes at least 12 cores in your biopsy............there are some docs that do less, and if there is a cancer there is a greater chance that it is not dectected.
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214

Very good
    Please make sure that your doc takes at least 12 cores in your biopsy............there are some docs that do less, and if there is a cancer there is a greater chance that it is not dectected.

1st biopsy clear
    I have had 2 biopsies in 2 years. First came out clear. PSA raised from 5 to almost 7 in 2 years. Next 1 showed cancer in 5 out of 6 cores.So even a biopsy can miss cancer. My doctor insisted on a second one mainly because of my family history with this disease.

Dont want to either encourage or discourage you but if biospy shows negative still get your PSA checked yearly and good luck to you.

Nick
    Age 52
  • tbr7232
    tbr7232 Member Posts: 1
    NM said:

1st biopsy clear
    I have had 2 biopsies in 2 years. First came out clear. PSA raised from 5 to almost 7 in 2 years. Next 1 showed cancer in 5 out of 6 cores.So even a biopsy can miss cancer. My doctor insisted on a second one mainly because of my family history with this disease.

Dont want to either encourage or discourage you but if biospy shows negative still get your PSA checked yearly and good luck to you.

Nick
    Age 52

biopsy
    the biopsies are not so bad. just make sure that your doctor takes enough cores. my first doctor only did 5. first time psa 6.5 clear. second time 12 mos later, psa 9.5, clear. changed doctors, third time 6 mos later, psa 12.5, 12 cores, gleason 4+3, already in the magins when i had the prostate removed. first doctor has since called me and said because of my situation, he has changed to taking more.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    tbr7232 said:

biopsy
    the biopsies are not so bad. just make sure that your doctor takes enough cores. my first doctor only did 5. first time psa 6.5 clear. second time 12 mos later, psa 9.5, clear. changed doctors, third time 6 mos later, psa 12.5, 12 cores, gleason 4+3, already in the magins when i had the prostate removed. first doctor has since called me and said because of my situation, he has changed to taking more.

agree more is better
    first and only biospy was 15 core samples and they found cancer...my PSA was 2.82 and I am 55. If I was going to have a biospy (not the best thing to go through for me) I would want more core samples taken the first go around but that is me