scard

marijune
marijune Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I was diagnoised with lung cancer. I dont know what kind as I have to see the Dr monday, I only know it is in one lung with 4 spots. The Dr told my husband it is inoperable, but they will start me on chemo but no radiation. I had a ct scan but i wasent told i had it elsewhere, except that it was in my lymph nodes. I am terrified and cant seem to sleep more than a few hours. Can anyone advise me how do I ease the fear.
Thank You

Comments

• PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    Hello marijune
    Of course you are scared, anyone would be scared upon hearing a diagnosis of cancer. I will never forget the day we were told my then 25-year-old kid sister had brain cancer. I kept going to dark places and imagining the worst. Then just a few months later they told me (mistakenly) they thought I had lung cancer. It was the worst moment of my life. It turned out not to be true but I didn't know that at the time and I was terrified.

You have done the right thing to join this board. There are so many knowledgeable people here who are either cancer survivors or caregivers and we all can relate. One suggestion I would like to make is that you find a support group in your area. We're always here for you on this board but talking to other survivors face to face will help as well. Another suggestion is Xanax or some other sedative to help you sleep. Please do not be afraid to ask, there is nothing wrong with using such medicaiton.

Above all you must try your best to stay positive about your situation. There are so many people in this world who have beat this monster. Medical science can do so much these days and it's getting better with time. Cancer is NOT a death sentence!! I don't care what the doctors tell you, I don't care what the statistics say, cancer can be beaten. It's happenening more and more these days and some day we will kill this monster for good. But in the meantime please try to keep your spirits up and realize you can win.

I hope soccerfreaks will jump in soon. He has already beat lung cancer and so can you!!
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Stay positive
    I can relate to your feelings and fears. I was diagnosed with NSCLC in my left lung and Squamous Cell cancer on my larynx. I was told my cancer was inoperable also which I automatically assumed was a death sentence. IT ISN'T!!

As you meet with your "cancer team" of doctors and start learning more about your treatment protocol and about your type of cancer you will start to relax a little. A lot of people feel better once they start their treatment because they feel they are taking action and starting to fight this horrible disease.

Please try to keep yourself calm and have a positive attitude. I know that sounds impossible at this time but you can do it.

Don't hesitate to ask your doctor for something to help you sleep or for your anxiety, there is no shame in asking for meds to help you through this terrifying time.

Please post again after you see your doctor and let us know how you are doing. There are many, many caring people on this site who will help you in any way they can.

I am now 4 months post treatment (chemo and radiation) and am now in remission, both of my cancers have shrunk. I also had another biopsy on my larynx because of scar tissue and that came back clean. It's a tough fight but hearing remission or cancer free are the greatest things in the world.

You will be in my thoughts tomorrow when you see your doctor.

Best of luck to you and your husband.
    Glenna
  • marijune
    Glenna M said:

Stay positive
    I can relate to your feelings and fears. I was diagnosed with NSCLC in my left lung and Squamous Cell cancer on my larynx. I was told my cancer was inoperable also which I automatically assumed was a death sentence. IT ISN'T!!

As you meet with your "cancer team" of doctors and start learning more about your treatment protocol and about your type of cancer you will start to relax a little. A lot of people feel better once they start their treatment because they feel they are taking action and starting to fight this horrible disease.

Please try to keep yourself calm and have a positive attitude. I know that sounds impossible at this time but you can do it.

Don't hesitate to ask your doctor for something to help you sleep or for your anxiety, there is no shame in asking for meds to help you through this terrifying time.

Please post again after you see your doctor and let us know how you are doing. There are many, many caring people on this site who will help you in any way they can.

I am now 4 months post treatment (chemo and radiation) and am now in remission, both of my cancers have shrunk. I also had another biopsy on my larynx because of scar tissue and that came back clean. It's a tough fight but hearing remission or cancer free are the greatest things in the world.

You will be in my thoughts tomorrow when you see your doctor.

Best of luck to you and your husband.
    Glenna

Went to Doctor
    My husband and I saw the Doctor today and he is going to have me take another ct scan, pet scan & urine test, all this week, but I feel much better after hearing from others that have gone thru this and understand my fears. Then they will put a port in and get me ready for chemo. There is a possibility of surgery in the future. They will compare pet scans in the months ahead. He did prescribe me anxiety pills so I can sleep. I thank God I have a wonderful husband and children to help me thru this, and I am so thankful for this board and all the wonderful people on it.
    5 years ago I went thru breast cancer and I received such wonderful response from people all over the states. I had a lumpectomy and radiation but no chemo, so chemo is something new for me,and we were able to comfort & help each each other whenever we could.
    Glenna I want to thank you and everyone who responded to my fears. I am so happy for you that your tumors have shrunk and are now in remission.
    Thank you for your comforting letter, and I pray God will keep you healthy.
  • ljw1121
    ljw1121 Member Posts: 22
    Easing your fear
    My faith and knowing that all things are possible is what has helped me through my trying times. Keep positive because that is very important!!!!!!I have learned this first hand. Believe in miracles because they do happen!
  • CCAOG
    CCAOG Member Posts: 31
    ljw1121 said:

Easing your fear
    My faith and knowing that all things are possible is what has helped me through my trying times. Keep positive because that is very important!!!!!!I have learned this first hand. Believe in miracles because they do happen!

Keep your head up
    I was in-operable also as my tumor had grown from my rt lung over to and attached to my heart. It had drained fluid into my heart sac and was about to drown it. I had heart surgery and started radiation and chemo in late Jan last year went into remission in September on my Birthday and just celebrated the first anniversary of diagnoses on the 22nd. Which just happns to be the 8th anniversary of my fathers passing from it. I still get a little freaked out about the significance of how all the dates lined up together. I have come to know god a lot better and have discovered great healing power thru helping those in need. We all can win in this fight as long as we keep fighting.
  • pkaz53
    pkaz53 Member Posts: 84
    CCAOG said:

Keep your head up
    I was in-operable also as my tumor had grown from my rt lung over to and attached to my heart. It had drained fluid into my heart sac and was about to drown it. I had heart surgery and started radiation and chemo in late Jan last year went into remission in September on my Birthday and just celebrated the first anniversary of diagnoses on the 22nd. Which just happns to be the 8th anniversary of my fathers passing from it. I still get a little freaked out about the significance of how all the dates lined up together. I have come to know god a lot better and have discovered great healing power thru helping those in need. We all can win in this fight as long as we keep fighting.

Hi Marijune
    I, and everyone of us on this board live with the fear of cancer or that cancer may return
    It's so good that we have a place such as this where we can communicate and share our experiences--We all pray and give hope to each other and become family, we cheer at good news and share our sorrow when things get difficult.There are so many knowledgeable people on this site it amazes me.
    I am an 8 year survivor of bladder cancer and a 6 year survivor of sclc and the fear is still with me ---the fear is normal --no one knows how much time one has left.
    Marijune welcome to our community all our hopes and wishes are with you.

Be Well,Paul....
  • marijune
    marijune said:

Went to Doctor
    My husband and I saw the Doctor today and he is going to have me take another ct scan, pet scan & urine test, all this week, but I feel much better after hearing from others that have gone thru this and understand my fears. Then they will put a port in and get me ready for chemo. There is a possibility of surgery in the future. They will compare pet scans in the months ahead. He did prescribe me anxiety pills so I can sleep. I thank God I have a wonderful husband and children to help me thru this, and I am so thankful for this board and all the wonderful people on it.
    5 years ago I went thru breast cancer and I received such wonderful response from people all over the states. I had a lumpectomy and radiation but no chemo, so chemo is something new for me,and we were able to comfort & help each each other whenever we could.
    Glenna I want to thank you and everyone who responded to my fears. I am so happy for you that your tumors have shrunk and are now in remission.
    Thank you for your comforting letter, and I pray God will keep you healthy.

Met my team of Doctors on second opinion
    I was told my plan would be radiation and chemo at the same time, then hopefully surgery to remove the tumor and nodes..I was set up yesterday for radiation, but I dont know yet when chemo will begin. I've had radiation 5 years ago so i know what to expect but chemo is new to me and I am scard. They will not put in a port because the Dr. said I will get 6 rounds of chemo and didnt think i need a port. I will get carboplan D1, taxel D8. Hope I spelled that correctly as the writing is a little hard to make out. Can anyone tell me how ill this chemo will make me?. I am scard and very tired most of the time and really need to know the effects of the chemo.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    marijune said:

I was told my plan would be radiation and chemo at the same time, then hopefully surgery to remove the tumor and nodes..I was set up yesterday for radiation, but I dont know yet when chemo will begin. I've had radiation 5 years ago so i know what to expect but chemo is new to me and I am scard. They will not put in a port because the Dr. said I will get 6 rounds of chemo and didnt think i need a port. I will get carboplan D1, taxel D8. Hope I spelled that correctly as the writing is a little hard to make out. Can anyone tell me how ill this chemo will make me?. I am scard and very tired most of the time and really need to know the effects of the chemo.

Google???
    I am not familiar with these drugs as I had cisplatin for my chemo but you can google these drugs by name to check on their side effects. The best option is to ask your oncologist or his nurse. My cancer treatment center has a website which lists many of the drugs and their side effects so you may want to check to see if your hospital/treatment center has a website.

You must keep in mind that everyone responds to chemo differently and you may not have any side effects or they may be very mild so don't let any of this information scare you away. I had nausea for a few days and was tired but nothing so extreme that I ever considered discontinuing my treatments. YOU CAN DO IT!!

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance and hope my suggestions help. Please never be afraid to ask your doctors about any concerns/questions you have.

Please post again and let us know how you are doing.

Stay strong and keep smiling,
    Glenna
  • marijune
    marijune said:

Whats the difference in chemo treatments
    The chemo I will be getting is carboplatin along with taxol & radiation. I spelled carboplatin wrong in my last letter.
    I have never had chemo before alto i did have brest cancer 5 years ago & had radiation which didnt have a bad effect on me other than made me a bit tired. I have read articles about chemo treatments from people that have said its not that bad to comments from people that it is terrible and how they were sick and weak all the time & sometimes even had to be hospitalized. Can someone explain to me why there is such a difference in how you may feel taking chemo. I will start my treatments soon and I would like to be prepaired. Can someone please help with advise.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    marijune said:

Small writing
    marijune, if your mouse has a wheel you can hold down the CTRL key and turn the mouse wheel to enlarge the print. or hold down CTRL and press the + button. I do this routinely for a lot of web pages now that my eyes are no longer 21 years old :)

edit - Although maybe you meant the Dr.'s writing is hard to make out?
  • stayingcalm
    marijune said:

The chemo I will be getting is carboplatin along with taxol & radiation. I spelled carboplatin wrong in my last letter.
    I have never had chemo before alto i did have brest cancer 5 years ago & had radiation which didnt have a bad effect on me other than made me a bit tired. I have read articles about chemo treatments from people that have said its not that bad to comments from people that it is terrible and how they were sick and weak all the time & sometimes even had to be hospitalized. Can someone explain to me why there is such a difference in how you may feel taking chemo. I will start my treatments soon and I would like to be prepaired. Can someone please help with advise.

Chemo
    Marijune, I didn't have Carboplatin or Taxol, though I think the chemo drugs I did have are in the same "family" - I had Cisplatin and Etoposide, and then later on, Taxotere. All through the chemo I may have had a few uneasy days, and no doubt I wasn't in top form but I was well enough to go to work every day after the chemo + radiation. Now, the woman who sat next to me the first day had the exact same treatment, and she felt sick as a dog each time - so there's no predicting who will react that way. The nurses can have anti-nausea meds mixed right in with the chemo if you need it, and prescribe more to take before or after. Chemo nurses are among the nicest in the profession; ask them to explain how you might feel, and how they can help you if you feel sick - hey, I think you'll be fine :)
  • marijune
    pkaz53 said:

Hi Marijune
    I, and everyone of us on this board live with the fear of cancer or that cancer may return
    It's so good that we have a place such as this where we can communicate and share our experiences--We all pray and give hope to each other and become family, we cheer at good news and share our sorrow when things get difficult.There are so many knowledgeable people on this site it amazes me.
    I am an 8 year survivor of bladder cancer and a 6 year survivor of sclc and the fear is still with me ---the fear is normal --no one knows how much time one has left.
    Marijune welcome to our community all our hopes and wishes are with you.

Be Well,Paul....

Thanks pkaz53
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I am so glad I found this site as I know I am not alone in this battle. I havent even started my treatment yet and I am very scard. I think taking all the tests ct scans, pet scans x-rys, biopsy etc. the waiting for results has put a real fear in me, and now knowing what I had and the treatment I will receive is frightening. Hopefully I will start treatment soon & perhaps that will start me on the road to recovery. I have to travel about 45 minutes for each treatment. Will I be terribly sick before I get home. It makes me happy to hear of survivor storys and I am very happy for you.
  • joyzee
    joyzee Member Posts: 33
    marijune said:

Carbo ad Taxol treatment
    Marijune

I was treated for stage 3b lung cancer from 4/09 thru 6/09(radiation and chemo,no surgery)afterwhich, I was told that the tumor in the left lung and lympnode in right lung had successfully been treated. I was told to take off 3 to 4 weeks, and then we will reasses. However, before the 3/4 weeks were up,I felt a knot on my right shoulder between the ear and shoulder. I was told that this is common with Lung cancer and I was again treated with radiation and chemo starting 8/09. I had my last radiation session 10/09, and my last chemo 12/09. I had another PET scan on 1/10/10, and I was told all signs of cancer were gone.

My treatment consist of taxol and carbo along with radiation. I had radiation at 7:30 and chemo at 8:30 everyday for 38 days. I even drove myself to the treatments. I had no serious side affects. I knew to expect side affects. I did have the side affects but it wasn't unbearable. I was fatigued, couldn't stand the smell of food, and didn't want to eat. My dr precribed a pill for the nausea, I wasn't working so I came home and rested after each treatment, and as far as eating, I drank ensure, ate fruit,drank fruit drinks and v8 juice. I had lost 35 lbs before I was diagnosed, however, I didn't lose any weight during treatment. Today, I am now back to my old weight. My dr was amazed at how well my body did with these 2 drugs along with the radiation, turn the fear over to your higher power, maintining your stress level and peace of mind is very important. I hope this helps
  • marijune
    joyzee said:

Carbo ad Taxol treatment
    Marijune

I was treated for stage 3b lung cancer from 4/09 thru 6/09(radiation and chemo,no surgery)afterwhich, I was told that the tumor in the left lung and lympnode in right lung had successfully been treated. I was told to take off 3 to 4 weeks, and then we will reasses. However, before the 3/4 weeks were up,I felt a knot on my right shoulder between the ear and shoulder. I was told that this is common with Lung cancer and I was again treated with radiation and chemo starting 8/09. I had my last radiation session 10/09, and my last chemo 12/09. I had another PET scan on 1/10/10, and I was told all signs of cancer were gone.

My treatment consist of taxol and carbo along with radiation. I had radiation at 7:30 and chemo at 8:30 everyday for 38 days. I even drove myself to the treatments. I had no serious side affects. I knew to expect side affects. I did have the side affects but it wasn't unbearable. I was fatigued, couldn't stand the smell of food, and didn't want to eat. My dr precribed a pill for the nausea, I wasn't working so I came home and rested after each treatment, and as far as eating, I drank ensure, ate fruit,drank fruit drinks and v8 juice. I had lost 35 lbs before I was diagnosed, however, I didn't lose any weight during treatment. Today, I am now back to my old weight. My dr was amazed at how well my body did with these 2 drugs along with the radiation, turn the fear over to your higher power, maintining your stress level and peace of mind is very important. I hope this helps

carbo and taxol
    Joyzee, thanks for the info on carbo and taxol. I hope I will be able to tolerate it as well as you did. It is some very scary stuff and I start next week. I will get chemo in the morning then radiation right after and I am scard. How did you handle the hair loss?
  • letswin
    letswin Member Posts: 10
    marijune said:

Chemo
    I am getting carboplatin and taxol as well. I've had 6 of 28 radiation treatments so far. I haven't had any ill effects from the chemo treatments (I have finished one round). I have a Home Health nurse and she told me not to worry about side effects; everyone is different and I may never experience what others have. Keep us updated...

Julie
  • joyzee
    marijune said:

carbo and taxol
    Joyzee, thanks for the info on carbo and taxol. I hope I will be able to tolerate it as well as you did. It is some very scary stuff and I start next week. I will get chemo in the morning then radiation right after and I am scard. How did you handle the hair loss?

hair loss

I decided to wear wigs vs scarfs, hats, or turbans. I am having a ball, I am a red head one day, brunette another, or off black with blond highlights. Most people don't know they are wigs unless I tell them. Wig shopping has become theraputic for me.

Today I went for a port, and the nurse said she would have to give me a cover for my hair, and I said thats ok I can just take it off. The office turned around and looked at me in shock. Whatever you decide to wear, be comfortable with the choice you make. Attitude has a lot to do with your recovery.

PS: after hair started coming out, I cut the rest off, I found that easier then waiting for it to fall out a little at a time.

Stay blessed.
  • marijune
    joyzee said:

hair loss

I decided to wear wigs vs scarfs, hats, or turbans. I am having a ball, I am a red head one day, brunette another, or off black with blond highlights. Most people don't know they are wigs unless I tell them. Wig shopping has become theraputic for me.

Today I went for a port, and the nurse said she would have to give me a cover for my hair, and I said thats ok I can just take it off. The office turned around and looked at me in shock. Whatever you decide to wear, be comfortable with the choice you make. Attitude has a lot to do with your recovery.

PS: after hair started coming out, I cut the rest off, I found that easier then waiting for it to fall out a little at a time.

Stay blessed.

Hair loss
    Joyzee your altitude is great about your treatment and hair loss. I had to laugh about the different wigs.( its hard to laugh these days ). I sure wish I could get myself to have such a great altitude. Im trying by reading books and these posts but so far I mainly feel depressed, but your story about the wigs and the way you handled your treatment made me feel better. Thank you very much
  • joyzee
    marijune said:

Hair loss
    Joyzee your altitude is great about your treatment and hair loss. I had to laugh about the different wigs.( its hard to laugh these days ). I sure wish I could get myself to have such a great altitude. Im trying by reading books and these posts but so far I mainly feel depressed, but your story about the wigs and the way you handled your treatment made me feel better. Thank you very much

depression

Marijune, u should ask ur doc for something 4 depression. I have been on Welbutrim since the beginning. It has helped alot. If he can't give u that, maybe he can give u something else.
  • stayingcalm
    marijune said:

Hair loss

Cancer and depression/anxiety
    marijune,

this is a very common thing, cancer patients being prone to anxiety & depression, and as joyzee says, just ask your doctor for a prescription. I take Xanax because I have days that feel like black holes sometimes. I'm prescribed a .5 mg tablet which I cut in quarters and often just take 1 quarter if that's all I need, to take the edge off my anxiety, or 2 quarters if I'm feeling pretty bad. Luckily, I haven't had to take a whole pill yet!

You definitely need to be able to laugh, it's good for you :)
  • marijune
    letswin said:

Chemo
    I am getting carboplatin and taxol as well. I've had 6 of 28 radiation treatments so far. I haven't had any ill effects from the chemo treatments (I have finished one round). I have a Home Health nurse and she told me not to worry about side effects; everyone is different and I may never experience what others have. Keep us updated...

Julie

chemo and hair loss
    letswin,
    Are you getting chemo and radiation at the same time?. Do they do both on the same day?. I start next week and cant get rid of the fear. How sick will I be,and when does the hair fall out and how do i prepare myself for this. Are you losing your hair and how do you handle it.
    Should I get a wig and scarf before I begin the chemo. I am scard and please can anyone tell me how to ease the tension.