What to do?

Hi, I just got the news that I have microinvasive cervical cancer and I needed somewhere to vent and am seeking some advice. I am 21 years old and I had an abnormal pap this December. I had a colposcopy which was followed by a LEEP. The LEEP tissue showed the cancerous cells so I am scheduled for another procedure in February. I don't know much about anything yet, my cancer has not been staged. I have not had children yet and wanted to conceive in the future, so that is why the doctors want to try this procedure instead of a historectomy. I am so stunned right now that I can't think clearly. I want to know more about this, but I don't even know what to ask or where to begin. Can anyone help me get started... are there any questions I should ask right away? Thanks much, any help is appreciated.

Comments

• beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    cchil,
    First off, take a

cchil,
    First off, take a deep breath! I know the news you've received is stunning and you have the right to feel fear. If you go to the ACS home page (top of this page on the right), you will find a column on the left called Treatment Decision Tools. This will lead you through a series of questions about your particular CA and even allow you to print out questions to ask your doctor. It's recommended that you take a trusted advocate with you to your appointments to keep track of all the information the doc may throw your way. In your heightened state of anxiety it's very easy to miss a lot of the information being thrown your way.
    There are several women on this site who have had the same experience you are going through right now. Maybe they will pop in and post a few words of encouragement for you. Reading through old posts may be useful. My CA was much more extended and I was past child bearing age...so my fears were only focused on living. I am so sorry that you've joined us on this fight!
    Hang in there and keep us posted on your journey. There's great support here...and venting is encouraged.
    ((HUGS))
  • cchil731
    cchil731 Member Posts: 3
    beckyracn said:

cchil,
    First off, take a

cchil,
    First off, take a deep breath! I know the news you've received is stunning and you have the right to feel fear. If you go to the ACS home page (top of this page on the right), you will find a column on the left called Treatment Decision Tools. This will lead you through a series of questions about your particular CA and even allow you to print out questions to ask your doctor. It's recommended that you take a trusted advocate with you to your appointments to keep track of all the information the doc may throw your way. In your heightened state of anxiety it's very easy to miss a lot of the information being thrown your way.
    There are several women on this site who have had the same experience you are going through right now. Maybe they will pop in and post a few words of encouragement for you. Reading through old posts may be useful. My CA was much more extended and I was past child bearing age...so my fears were only focused on living. I am so sorry that you've joined us on this fight!
    Hang in there and keep us posted on your journey. There's great support here...and venting is encouraged.
    ((HUGS))

Thanks
    I just wanted to say thank you. To add to my problems, I just found out today that my new insurance doesn't cover my doctor so I'm in the process of finding a new one. AH. It just feels good to have somewhere to write down my concerns where I know that there are others who have went through similar situations, or are going through them now.
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    cchil731 said:

Thanks
    I just wanted to say thank you. To add to my problems, I just found out today that my new insurance doesn't cover my doctor so I'm in the process of finding a new one. AH. It just feels good to have somewhere to write down my concerns where I know that there are others who have went through similar situations, or are going through them now.

cchil,
    The saying, "when it

cchil,
    The saying, "when it rains, it pours" is a common occurrance on these pages. Not only are you going into the fight of your life...your going to encounter many other fights along the way. I know, it sucks! Sometimes it'll feel like "how much more can I take?".
    Good luck on your hunt for a new doc...be picky and get the best! And keep posting...we'll be here for you. Venting is always good for the soul!