2010 NOT STARTING GOOD

2»

Comments

• karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    I'm sorry
    I'm sorry to hear the bad news,I know you have alot to think about.I would do the surgery,and risk diabetes.I have type 2 diabetes,and right now all I have to do is lose weight,and watch my diet.If I don't lose weight,then I have to take the medicine.My father was diabetic and he just had to take a pill.Now a days it comes in pill form.But I think it's up to the dr.Also I would get a second opinion.Personally I would rather have diabetes than cancer.I will pray for you.
  • grammadebbie
    grammadebbie Member Posts: 464
    So Sorry
    Dearest Kate,

I am sorry to hear about the mets. I don't have any wisdom or experience in that area but I sure know how to pray. My husband and I will be praying for physical, emotional and spritual strength and healing. My heart goes out to you. Please continue to share your feelings with us. It's important to be able to feel safe and know that we are all here to support you.

God Bless You,

Debbie (gramma)
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299

So Sorry
    Dearest Kate,

I am sorry to hear about the mets. I don't have any wisdom or experience in that area but I sure know how to pray. My husband and I will be praying for physical, emotional and spritual strength and healing. My heart goes out to you. Please continue to share your feelings with us. It's important to be able to feel safe and know that we are all here to support you.

God Bless You,

Debbie (gramma)

If the surgery results in
    If the surgery results in diabetes it will be the shot dependent
    kind because the pancreas will no longer be able to produce insulin,
    so it cannot be controled by diet and exercise.
  • lcarper2
    lcarper2 Member Posts: 635 Member
    not starting good
    WOW I hate to hear this news but let me tell you there is life after becomming a diabetic was one before I had cancer take 4 shots a day 2 different kinds of insulin and 2000 mg of metformin and 90 mg of actos than I got colon cancer can't take infussion chemo made my blood sugar go to 700 so am on xeloda 3000 for 14 days and off for 7 . Being alive is more important than anything we get as a side effect from cancer I can't walk more than 50 feet and need a cane for that but you know what I am 62 and alive and going to live along time. Will pray for you.
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438
    lcarper2 said:

not starting good
    WOW I hate to hear this news but let me tell you there is life after becomming a diabetic was one before I had cancer take 4 shots a day 2 different kinds of insulin and 2000 mg of metformin and 90 mg of actos than I got colon cancer can't take infussion chemo made my blood sugar go to 700 so am on xeloda 3000 for 14 days and off for 7 . Being alive is more important than anything we get as a side effect from cancer I can't walk more than 50 feet and need a cane for that but you know what I am 62 and alive and going to live along time. Will pray for you.

Kate
    This is just such disturbing news. I know that you have to feel overwhelmed by all the decisions that lie before you. Take a deep breath, think back on the strength that you have found within yourself to get you this far. Focus on the enemy, assemble your forces (that includes us) and wage war again, you can do it. You are in the hearts of many tonight.
    Hugs and prayers coming your way,
    Joanne
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Diabetes
    Yours is a hard story to read. I have type 2 diabetes and had it for several years before my colon cancer was dxed. Other than taking my meds for it, I have not had any interaction problems with both diseases. I pray for you in your situation. I take comfort and get strength from Is 40:31. Read it if you're unfamiliar with it.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Oh Kate
    Oh Kate,
    I'm so sorry to hear this. This is so much to consider. I will keep you in my prayers.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member

Oh Kate
    Oh Kate,
    I'm so sorry to hear this. This is so much to consider. I will keep you in my prayers.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

Kate
    I am sorry you are in my thoughts

michelle
  • jscho
    jscho Member Posts: 62
    KATE58 said:

If the surgery results in
    If the surgery results in diabetes it will be the shot dependent
    kind because the pancreas will no longer be able to produce insulin,
    so it cannot be controled by diet and exercise.

insulin devices
    I am a type I diabetic on 4X daily shots of insulin (1 slow-acting, fast-acting shots with meals). I have never had a hard time with needles, so I inject the insulin myself. You shouldn't worry too much about the needle aspect of treating diabetes, as there are an increasing number of ways of delivering insulin therapeutically. These include an insulin pump, in which a catheter is inserted only once every few days, insulin inhalers (like asthma inhalers) and insulin sprays, which deliver insulin through the skin with a high pressure spray.

If you are concerned, take a look at:
    www.diabetesmonitor.com/alternative_insulin_devices.htm

I'm truly sorry about your situation, but diabetes is not hard to live with, so don't let it influence your treatment options.

Best wishes,
    Jeremy
  • krf
    krf Member Posts: 98
    SOrry Kate- you are right,
    SOrry Kate- you are right, this is a very bad start to the new year. You have such difficult decisions to make. I hate this beast.
    I will keep you in my thoughts-
    Kim
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    so sorry
    Hi Kate,

I'm so sorry to hear all the difficulty you're having. I actually read your post yesterday, but got so sad reading it that I couldn't even reply- sorry.
    I just wish I could wrap my arms around you and hug all your problems and sadness away! I don't know what else to say except that I'm praying for you and PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! I hope that you're feeling a bit better today.

Hugs,
    Lisa
  • KATE58
    lisa42 said:

so sorry
    Hi Kate,

I'm so sorry to hear all the difficulty you're having. I actually read your post yesterday, but got so sad reading it that I couldn't even reply- sorry.
    I just wish I could wrap my arms around you and hug all your problems and sadness away! I don't know what else to say except that I'm praying for you and PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP HOPE! I hope that you're feeling a bit better today.

Hugs,
    Lisa

Thanks everyone for your
    Thanks everyone for your encouragement.
    I do feel better today,
    had myself a good cry last night and put it out of my mind until next week
    when I see my onc.One day at a time!
    Surprisingly enough,even though my friends are cool with
    the bald head ,their kids are AMAZING!! This morning I was wearing a knit hat at my friends house and my friends kids asked if it made my head hot,I said yes a little,
    and they all said 'WELL TAKE IT OFF!! and the rest of the day they paid no mind to it at all.
    It really helped my confidence and made me so much more comfortable with the bald thing.

I don't know what I would without you guys!!!!
    :-}
    kate
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    That's OUR Kate :)
    -Craig

-Craig
  • KATE58
    Sundanceh said:

-Craig

-Craig

well,after a couple days of
    well,after a couple days of panic,
    i am feeling much more settled.
    i will be talking to my onc on tuesday,
    by then she will have had a conversation with both the surgeon
    and my GI guy,so i'll know more of whats up.
    keep your fingers crossed and i'll keep you posted
    thanks for all your encouragement my friends,
    i'll get thru this because of you guys
    kATE
  • KATE58
    KATE58 said:

well,after a couple days of
    well,after a couple days of panic,
    i am feeling much more settled.
    i will be talking to my onc on tuesday,
    by then she will have had a conversation with both the surgeon
    and my GI guy,so i'll know more of whats up.
    keep your fingers crossed and i'll keep you posted
    thanks for all your encouragement my friends,
    i'll get thru this because of you guys
    kATE

YOU MEAN I WAS SUPPOSED TO
    YOU MEAN I WAS SUPPOSED TO PUT IT ON MY LEGS????!!!!