Port flushing question

lmliess
lmliess Member Posts: 329
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone!
For those of you that are done with chemo and still have your port...how often do you get it flushed? My last appointment was Nov 20 and my next is Jan 8. That is 7 weeks. Is that too long to wait? My Onc's office didn't seem too concerned but everything I read and in the past it was always about 4 - 5 weeks.

Comments

• khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    port
    I was told every 4 weeks, but if I went a little longer it would be all right. I go to a satellite center to have it flushed so I dont have to go to the main hospital campus.
    Kathy
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    port flush
    I go every 5 weeks. The nurse told me she had a guy come in that had not flushed for 5 years. She was shocked when it flushed fine.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Kerry S said:

port flush
    I go every 5 weeks. The nurse told me she had a guy come in that had not flushed for 5 years. She was shocked when it flushed fine.

They forgot to do mine
    but believe every four weekks is standard.....Steve
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Flushing
    Port flushing is best every 30-days.

Some places go 4-6 weeks.

-Craig
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Sundanceh said:

Flushing
    Port flushing is best every 30-days.

Some places go 4-6 weeks.

-Craig

They should flush every 6 weeks....
    I go in for my 3 months lab tomorrow and I will have mine flushed then. If Im clean tomorrow and my cea is still down im gonna start to push for the port to come out. So actually there are flushing mine every 12 weeks......
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    Buzzard said:

They should flush every 6 weeks....
    I go in for my 3 months lab tomorrow and I will have mine flushed then. If Im clean tomorrow and my cea is still down im gonna start to push for the port to come out. So actually there are flushing mine every 12 weeks......

I have a power port and my
    I have a power port and my doctor said
    every 4 weeks is what they perfer.
    but could go 8 weeks without a problem,
    but no more.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Port flushing
    Mine was every 7-8 weeks for the Smart Port...but I am having it taken out on January 6!

Happy New year! Vicki
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Port
    I had the Power Port and I was told every four weeks. If your office doesn't seem to think that is a big deal, I guess they know best. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Kim
  • ann2008
    ann2008 Member Posts: 118

Port
    I had the Power Port and I was told every four weeks. If your office doesn't seem to think that is a big deal, I guess they know best. Hope you had a great Christmas.

Kim

Port
    As a nurse we learn once a month is usual, but my Onc says every 6 weeks is ok. Have not had any problems with mine so far.
  • cherryames
    cherryames Member Posts: 4
    ann2008 said:

Port
    As a nurse we learn once a month is usual, but my Onc says every 6 weeks is ok. Have not had any problems with mine so far.

Port Flush
    My oncologist has changed to every three months, and has had no problems with clotting or anything else.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Port
    I'm still in treatment but I did go through a spell where I'd go 6 weeks between treatments. I have a HAI pump and that gets refilled every 8 weeks. I do think it can go up to 8 but I'm not positive. I would see what your Onc says and go with that. The ports are a great thing, I'm glad I had mine installed all those years ago. I'd hate to think what my veins would look like if I didn't get one.
  • StacyGleaso
    StacyGleaso Member Posts: 1,233 Member
    Port
    I used to get mine flushed every 3 months (yes, that is MONTHS, not WEEKS), then they changed it to every 4 months. I never had any problems, and kept it for 6 yrs after I was done with chemo (MAJOR security blanket! lol)

Happy New Year to you!

Stacy
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438

Port
    I used to get mine flushed every 3 months (yes, that is MONTHS, not WEEKS), then they changed it to every 4 months. I never had any problems, and kept it for 6 yrs after I was done with chemo (MAJOR security blanket! lol)

Happy New Year to you!

Stacy

Me too
    In the months following completion of chemo I went 10-12 weeks between flushings. I thought it seemed like a LONG time, but the onc. said not to worry. Never had any problems. May you have a Happy New Year.
    Warm regards,
    Joanne
  • gruffy
    gruffy Member Posts: 1
    Port flusing
    I am a little over half way with my chemo treatment. I thought the port was removed shortly after the last chemo session. Am I wrong thinking that? They don't use it to draw blood out since it won't work for that process. They use my arm for blood draws.
  • Buzzard
    gruffy said:

Port flusing
    I am a little over half way with my chemo treatment. I thought the port was removed shortly after the last chemo session. Am I wrong thinking that? They don't use it to draw blood out since it won't work for that process. They use my arm for blood draws.

Ports....
    They are removed normally dependant on your oncs advice...Mine wants me to keep it in for the duration of the 5 year mark but I don't think thats gonna happen. I want all things cancer gone from me, except the bag...now that needs to stay....They want to leave it in for awhile to make sure its not needed again........Buzzard
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    gruffy said:

Port flusing

Ports
    My oncologist said leave it in for a year "just in case." But it is starting to bother me, and it's been a year (almost) since my first surgery, and I am NED, so he said take it out. My surgeon said if we need it again, it's simple to put a new on in. I go in next Wednesday to have it removed. Thank God he doesn't take them out in the office - I don't think I could stand being awake!

Many hugs, Vicki
  • Buzzard
    VickiCO said:

Ports
    My oncologist said leave it in for a year "just in case." But it is starting to bother me, and it's been a year (almost) since my first surgery, and I am NED, so he said take it out. My surgeon said if we need it again, it's simple to put a new on in. I go in next Wednesday to have it removed. Thank God he doesn't take them out in the office - I don't think I could stand being awake!

Many hugs, Vicki

Vicki,
    I betcha as smart as the grandson is I bet he could take it out for ya and save ya the office visit...You'll have to hold still though....hehe.......Buzz
  • Buzzard said:

Vicki,
    I betcha as smart as the grandson is I bet he could take it out for ya and save ya the office visit...You'll have to hold still though....hehe.......Buzz

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks Gracie...
    You make me feel better. I'm also a nurse and have never heard of power ports, small ports, or a regular port. My mom/babies are generally healthy when I get them as patients. :)

I've taken care of patients with many kinds of central lines such as multi-med lines (triple lumen port that goes in the subclavien) port-a-caths and PICC lines. I've never had to access a port-a-cath, but know the logistics of it. I've heard of groshongs (never messed with them) and others but these I've never heard of. I think this might be a detriment of living and working in a small town? :o)

Holly