Kegel Exercises

Portavoce
Portavoce Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I am nearing 3 weeks since the removal of my catheter following DaVinci Surgery. I will see the doctor in mid-January. I am on a suggested regimen of Kegel exercises, walking for 30 minutes four times per day, and voiding every two hours, while trying to hold in between. I am currently functioning with 4 pads daily.

My Kegel exercises consist of increasing pressure in steps of ten over about 10 seconds and repeating this 10 times, 4 times daily. I was wondering if this is the predominant Kegel technique. I would be interested in hearing from folks about the Kegel technique that their doctors recommended and the results.

Also is the walking routine a common recommendation?

Thanks

Comments

• JLM
    JLM Member Posts: 15
    Kegel Exercises
    Please go to my website: http://www.jmmotw.com/id26.html
  • sfis
    sfis Member Posts: 15
    Kegel
    My doctor has me on a similar regimen. I started a few days after removal of the catheter with 5 quick contractions, 10 3 second contractions, and 5 QCs. This has increased on a weekly basis to where I am now doing 40 QCs, 40 10 second contractions and 40 QCs. I do these twice a day. It will increase to 50 QCs, 50 10 second and 50 QCs starting next week. I'm not sure how long I will do the Kegels - the instructions say to continue at the 50 level, and that they can be divided up over the entire day. I had robotic surgery on October 26, and the cath was taken out Novemer 4. I quit wearing any pads about 2 weeks after the cath came out. There is still the occasional leak, but it's becoming less as time passes, and the amount is very small. My doctor also recommended walking, which I already did just about every day.
  • Portavoce
    Portavoce Member Posts: 2
    sfis said:

Kegel
    My doctor has me on a similar regimen. I started a few days after removal of the catheter with 5 quick contractions, 10 3 second contractions, and 5 QCs. This has increased on a weekly basis to where I am now doing 40 QCs, 40 10 second contractions and 40 QCs. I do these twice a day. It will increase to 50 QCs, 50 10 second and 50 QCs starting next week. I'm not sure how long I will do the Kegels - the instructions say to continue at the 50 level, and that they can be divided up over the entire day. I had robotic surgery on October 26, and the cath was taken out Novemer 4. I quit wearing any pads about 2 weeks after the cath came out. There is still the occasional leak, but it's becoming less as time passes, and the amount is very small. My doctor also recommended walking, which I already did just about every day.

Kegel Exercises
    Dear sfis:

Thanks for your reply. I have one more question: Did your regimine include drinking at least 6 8-oz glasses of fluid every day and voiding every two hours?

Thanks for your consideration.

Portavoce
    142 Member Posts: 169
    Portavoce said:

Kegel Exercises
    Dear sfis:

Thanks for your reply. I have one more question: Did your regimine include drinking at least 6 8-oz glasses of fluid every day and voiding every two hours?

Thanks for your consideration.

Portavoce

Water intake
    My doctor suggested a lot of water with two objectives a few weeks after the catheter was removed - stretching the bladder a bit, as I had cut back in the face of the leakage issues, and second to help keep down the urinary tract infections.
    Timing was not really a discussion, so I couldn't say on that count.