What's you favorite Christmas food?

pokismom
pokismom Member Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all,
Okay thought it might be interesting to hear what's everyones favorite food at Christmas. I've been pretty much vegetarian since July, no sweets either so I think about food sometimes. Eggnog, is something my sister would always buy at Christmas and my grandpa would always prepare Kalbi.(it's Korean short ribs marinated, than grilled). Mmmmm, miss the meat sometimes!!
Donna

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Oliebollen!
    It's so funny, I was just pining away for one...it's less than 2 weeks till I get one!!!

This is a dutch treat...loosely translated, it's Oil Ball! It comes in apple, bannana, ginger (my fav) and others.

It's a fritter-like thing, but you buy them freshly fried from a stall outside in the market...the day is so cold, and these are so warm....mmmmmmmm!

Hugs, Kathi

The OTHER thing is Ewrten soup....a very thick, hearty pea soup served everywhere, but especially yummy from a stand after ice skating. (Hummmm, I wonder if they noticed I'm homesick for Holland?)
  • trainer
    trainer Member Posts: 241
    Christmas food
    Our Christmas Even tradition is hmoemade vegetable soup and fresh rolls. Then on Sunday more, Scrapple. Yum! But if I lived where you do, my favorite Christmas food might be pineapple spears and mahi mahi!
  • pokismom
    trainer said:

Christmas food
    Our Christmas Even tradition is hmoemade vegetable soup and fresh rolls. Then on Sunday more, Scrapple. Yum! But if I lived where you do, my favorite Christmas food might be pineapple spears and mahi mahi!

Pineapple and Mahi Mahi
    I do like pineapple and mahi mahi too! It's nice that everyon has a fav food and hey some exotic ones at that!
    Donna
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Date Rolls
    When I was a kid my Mom always made Date Nut Rolls - fresh dates rolled in chopped nuts with tiny marshmallows (that I always picked out - I hate marshmallow!) with heavy cream to hold it together, then the whole thing was rolled in crushed graham crackers. I know there were more ingredients,such as spices, but I can't remember now. I have to call Mom and get the recipe again. She would roll them out in a long log and my job was to cut it into pieces. With 4 sisters watching every move, I measured carefully!

In later years she said she had a version for adults with bourbon - I REALLY need that recipe!

Vicki
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    VickiCO said:

Date Rolls
    When I was a kid my Mom always made Date Nut Rolls - fresh dates rolled in chopped nuts with tiny marshmallows (that I always picked out - I hate marshmallow!) with heavy cream to hold it together, then the whole thing was rolled in crushed graham crackers. I know there were more ingredients,such as spices, but I can't remember now. I have to call Mom and get the recipe again. She would roll them out in a long log and my job was to cut it into pieces. With 4 sisters watching every move, I measured carefully!

In later years she said she had a version for adults with bourbon - I REALLY need that recipe!

Vicki

Tamales
    Its a tridition at angels moms house xmas eve all of the brothers and sisters we stand around the counter and start the line for tamale making 50 to 60 pounds, It was fun.

michelle
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Tamales
    Its a tridition at angels moms house xmas eve all of the brothers and sisters we stand around the counter and start the line for tamale making 50 to 60 pounds, It was fun.

michelle

Tiramisu
    It's a wonderful Italian dessert with Kahlua in it, and tastes so good, you'll want to eat the whole trifle dish it comes in...layered in a cream, with ladyfingers..sooo delicious the way my Hubby's aunt makes it, I won't even attempt to try to make it, since it took her a long time to know how to get it just right with the double boilers and all, one of these days I'll try it, but for now, I leave it for her to make every Christmas :)

During dinner, I am drawn to homemade Sweet Potatoe Pies, with pecans, is one of my faves as well, with a Pork Roast and gravy! Yummmmm

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    FRUITCAKE!
    I love fruitcake and sweet potato souffle (with pecans on top)!
  • fringetree
    fringetree Member Posts: 65

FRUITCAKE!

It's boring..
    ...but I love pumpkin pie. Me, my mom, and my dad are on our third pie since Thanksgiving!
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member

It's boring..
    ...but I love pumpkin pie. Me, my mom, and my dad are on our third pie since Thanksgiving!

My sisters and I are making tamales next weekend
    Tamales and Atole (a hot creamy oatmeal drink made out of strained oatmeal, milk and cinnamon sticks).
  • karguy
    karguy Member Posts: 1,020 Member
    impinadas
    When my dad was alive,every year we would have empinadas,made with cow tounge and pinion nuts,and a touch of red chile.And home made tamales.Impinadas are a kind of small soppapia.I miss those days.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    karguy said:

impinadas
    When my dad was alive,every year we would have empinadas,made with cow tounge and pinion nuts,and a touch of red chile.And home made tamales.Impinadas are a kind of small soppapia.I miss those days.

empanades
    cow tongue.......barbacoda! I think I prefer the pumpkin empanades! lol
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Nana b said:

My sisters and I are making tamales next weekend
    Tamales and Atole (a hot creamy oatmeal drink made out of strained oatmeal, milk and cinnamon sticks).

Every year we had tamales....
    while my beau was still practicing...his nurse and her family made them every year...mmmmmm, I sure miss them!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • ann2008
    ann2008 Member Posts: 118

It's boring..

Pumpkin Pie
    I love it anytime but especially at Holidays.
  • minibull
    minibull Member Posts: 56 Member
    MY FAVORITES
    I also gave up sweets since I was dx'ed but I just LOVE tiramisu just like Donna. In fact, whenever I travelled I used to eat it whenever I found it on a restaurant's menu just so I would know who had the best. You know Costco used to have a pretty good frozen one. Pokimom, do you live in Hawaii too? Are you Korean? I also used to like kalbi and kim chee and fried mundoo. OMG I'm driving myself crazy talking about all this food.

Laureen
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731

FRUITCAKE!

Also fruitcake.
    I happened across the Mondo Fruitcake site a couple of weeks ago, and was persuaded to order one of the "monastery" style fruitcakes (liquored up). It came promptly, unfortunately, so I won't have any for Christmas, since I ate it all.

--Greg
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Pecan pie and leftovers!
    Pecan pie!! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE turkey sandwiches with leftover turkey on Christmas night. You pile on turkey, then the dressing, then cranberry sauce. You then squish the sandwich together and have perfection!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • pokismom
    minibull said:

MY FAVORITES
    I also gave up sweets since I was dx'ed but I just LOVE tiramisu just like Donna. In fact, whenever I travelled I used to eat it whenever I found it on a restaurant's menu just so I would know who had the best. You know Costco used to have a pretty good frozen one. Pokimom, do you live in Hawaii too? Are you Korean? I also used to like kalbi and kim chee and fried mundoo. OMG I'm driving myself crazy talking about all this food.

Laureen

Yes, I live in Hawaii too!
    Hi Laureen do you live in Hawaii? I know I just miss the kalbi, Kim chee and fried mandoo also!!! I am half Korean too! Are you Korean?? It's nice to meet people from all over don't you think?
    Much love
    Donna
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    tootsie1 said:

Pecan pie and leftovers!
    Pecan pie!! And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE turkey sandwiches with leftover turkey on Christmas night. You pile on turkey, then the dressing, then cranberry sauce. You then squish the sandwich together and have perfection!

*hugs*
    Gail

Turkey sandwiches!
    Gail,

My Mom used to spread the bread with mashed potatoes (instead of mayo), add dressing and turkey to both sides, put cranberry sauce in the middle, slap it together and put it on a plate and cover it all with gravy. My arteries are closing just thinking about it, but OH it was good!!

Vicki
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    I got the best!
    Ghirardelli Peppermint Tree Bark!

-DJ
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    getting hungry
    The first thing I thought of is also Dutch, Boterletter or butter letter. A pastry filled with almond paste and shaped into the first initial of the person for whom it's intended. But I'm also partial to pumpkin pie and my Dad used to make the best egg nog with bourbon & brandy and it was thick enough to stand a spoon up in. you didn't need much.