Start with Folfox today

mac1212
mac1212 Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Start with Folfox today. It will be 1st of 8 treatments. Wish me luck.

Brian

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Good Luck...
    Folfox is tricky with the side effects...Keep us informed and we'll try and help ya keep it at bay..........Hang tough, Buzzard
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    good luck Brian
    all the very best of luck Brian. Sometimes the first couple of folfox will be quite easy...let's hope and wish that for you.

you can do it....stay in touch...there might be some questions that you will have

holding your hand

mags
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    maglets said:

good luck Brian
    all the very best of luck Brian. Sometimes the first couple of folfox will be quite easy...let's hope and wish that for you.

you can do it....stay in touch...there might be some questions that you will have

holding your hand

mags

You Can Do It!!
    Don't let the side effects make you feel like you won't be able to do it, you can! Lots of people have done it, and you can too! Stay on top of those anti-nausea pills, and take them even if you don't feel sick, I wish you Good Luck, and you'll be in my prayers!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Shayenne said:

You Can Do It!!
    Don't let the side effects make you feel like you won't be able to do it, you can! Lots of people have done it, and you can too! Stay on top of those anti-nausea pills, and take them even if you don't feel sick, I wish you Good Luck, and you'll be in my prayers!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

Good Luck
    and stay strong.

michelle
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    Advice
    KEEP DRINKING lots of fluids - push them hard today and tomorrow. I say this just in case you start having trouble in a few days. Better to stay ahead of the game.

Make note of side-effects so you can work to minimize them for the next tx. For example, I've found that I get constipated day 2, 3 and 4, and then get diarrhea day 5. So now I take peri-colace (mild stool softener/laxative) before bed day 1, 2 and 3. It makes a big difference for me. Then I take Immodium on day 5 (but not until after a few "episodes" as I want to get as much of that out of me as I can, but don't want to get dehydrated).

If you take note of what bothers you each day during each tx, although each cycle is different, you may see some patterns and some things you can do to make it better for each next cycle.

Keep a laxative and Immodium handy. Keep beverages you can drink at room temp or warmer handy. Make sure to keep your hands, feet, neck and face covered and warm if you live in a colder climate.

Best of luck - wishing you minimal side-effects.
  • fringetree
    fringetree Member Posts: 65

Advice
    KEEP DRINKING lots of fluids - push them hard today and tomorrow. I say this just in case you start having trouble in a few days. Better to stay ahead of the game.

Make note of side-effects so you can work to minimize them for the next tx. For example, I've found that I get constipated day 2, 3 and 4, and then get diarrhea day 5. So now I take peri-colace (mild stool softener/laxative) before bed day 1, 2 and 3. It makes a big difference for me. Then I take Immodium on day 5 (but not until after a few "episodes" as I want to get as much of that out of me as I can, but don't want to get dehydrated).

If you take note of what bothers you each day during each tx, although each cycle is different, you may see some patterns and some things you can do to make it better for each next cycle.

Keep a laxative and Immodium handy. Keep beverages you can drink at room temp or warmer handy. Make sure to keep your hands, feet, neck and face covered and warm if you live in a colder climate.

Best of luck - wishing you minimal side-effects.

Good luck!

Good luck!
  • patsy1954
    patsy1954 Member Posts: 85
    Stay Strong!
    I had 12 treatments and my suggestion (to repeat what was said) is to keep on top of the symptoms, drink lots of water, and TAKE the nausea meds even if you don't feel sick. Around treatment number 5 my blood counts took a dive and I had to delay treatment and got put on Neulasta to get my white count back up, and that really made a difference. You will do fine, keep your spirits up.

Pat
  • jen58
    jen58 Member Posts: 34
    hubby starting wednesday
    He was supposed to start like 2 weeks ago, but he wasn't ready mentally for it (neither was I), then he was going to start last wednesday and we had really bad weather and i didn't want to drive in it and his dr's nurse wasn't in anyways, so now, wednesday 12/16 is the day (3 mos and 1 day after dx)

i hope it's warmer where u are than here -- today it's 19 feels like 7 :( -- though I believe wednesday, we may get 44!!

good luck to you!

btw, to all that have done it/are doing it -- i know you all say: drink lots of water -- but how much is lots? how much do u guys drink in a day or try to drink?

thanks!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    jen58 said:

hubby starting wednesday
    He was supposed to start like 2 weeks ago, but he wasn't ready mentally for it (neither was I), then he was going to start last wednesday and we had really bad weather and i didn't want to drive in it and his dr's nurse wasn't in anyways, so now, wednesday 12/16 is the day (3 mos and 1 day after dx)

i hope it's warmer where u are than here -- today it's 19 feels like 7 :( -- though I believe wednesday, we may get 44!!

good luck to you!

btw, to all that have done it/are doing it -- i know you all say: drink lots of water -- but how much is lots? how much do u guys drink in a day or try to drink?

thanks!

Heyas Jen!
    Let your hubby know it isn't that bad as it sounds, I was horrified to go the first time, and though it made me feel like crap after, the sitting and infusion really wasn't bad. Make sure he gets great anti-nausea meds, I think that makes all the difference in the world. I am on Emend, Dexamethasone, Zofran, Compazine and Ativan, and they work great! make sure he takes them every few hours, even when he doesn't feel sick, just to keep on top of it.

I drink alot of water, maybe 2-3 bottles a day, and other drinks, but you are also getting fluids through food as well, so even though he may not feel like eating or drinking, he really needs to, or he can get dehydrated, I only drink maybe 3-4 drinks a day, I'm a sipper, not a chugger LOL...so the drinks last awhile.

He'll do fine, I will be doing my 17 or 18th (I lost count) treatment now, and it feels like it's just a routine thing now, he'll see it's just laying around listening to some music, watching some TV for a few hours while he gets infused, that is it! he does have a port right?? that makes things much easier then having it go through the veins.

I wish you both luck, and hope everything goes well, he'll see it's really not that bad ;)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Good luck today!!!
    Hang in there, you will be fine, once you learn how this works. I remeber being asked if I wanted a bed or a chair for the treatment, and out of my mouth popped " i don't want a bed, I am not sick". Wow, what a moment!!!!!
    Kathy
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    khl8 said:

Good luck today!!!
    Hang in there, you will be fine, once you learn how this works. I remeber being asked if I wanted a bed or a chair for the treatment, and out of my mouth popped " i don't want a bed, I am not sick". Wow, what a moment!!!!!
    Kathy

Take it day by day ,Brian
    We all react differently. watch out for pain in your mouth at the ends of your jaws when you start to chew food (thats one of my bad reactions)I get a shooting pain/feeling that is not pleasant but I let it go for a second or two and then continue chewing and the pain/feeling subsides-but thats me. also, you may not want to drink/eat anything cold as your throat might feel like its closing up on you.Side effects vary by person but the vital thing to remember is be positive, be strong, you can do this (I just finished third dose)....Be well..steve
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    khl8 said:

Good luck today!!!
    Kathy

Take it day by day ,Brian
    We all react differently. watch out for pain in your mouth at the ends of your jaws when you start to chew food (thats one of my bad reactions)I get a shooting pain/feeling that is not pleasant but I let it go for a second or two and then continue chewing and the pain/feeling subsides-but thats me. also, you may not want to drink/eat anything cold as your throat might feel like its closing up on you.Side effects vary by person but the vital thing to remember is be positive, be strong, you can do this (I just finished third dose)....Be well..steve
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Best luck with it!My husband
    Best luck with it!My husband is on it too.He has finished 4 out of 12.Hang in there,you will get through it!
  • P_I_T_A
    P_I_T_A Member Posts: 133
    Good Luck!
    You already have a leg up, only 8 Txs instead of 12! It will be over before you realize. Keep in touch, we'll help you get through it.

-DJ