Bone Marrow

Nicola77
Nicola77 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone had problems with their bone marrow after chemo? My husband finished chemo a couple of months ago. He was hospitalised a couple of weeks ago with an infection and he was also anaemic. They say his bone marrow isn't working. If it doesn't start then the prognosis will be very grim as he won't be able to have more chemo. Anyone have any experience of this or can offer any advice or info?

Comments

• neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Hi Nicola,
    I've

Hi Nicola,
    I've never heard of the bone marrow not working to the point of total shutdown, but white cell and red cell production can certainly slow down. That's why we often tend to get anemic, and also to be more prone to infection. There are shots that I had to get periodically to help boost cell production If I remember one is called neupogen, another was epoietin. Did they mention getting shots?
    Carl
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Opinion.......
    The bone marrow not working tells me (and remember that I am not a Dr ) that his immune system is not rebuilding itself so chemo would completely destroy it if not strengthened. Neulasta or Neupagen usually builds it back up. Is this the case if so have you asked the Dr about the neulasta or Neupagen injections? Or he may look into a bone marrow transplant. We have a woman here that has done very well with the marrow transplant. Do yourself a favor and call another hospital(cancer) out of state and get another opinion ASAP......

Love and Hope...Buzzard
  • KATE58
    KATE58 Member Posts: 299
    Buzzard said:

Opinion.......
    The bone marrow not working tells me (and remember that I am not a Dr ) that his immune system is not rebuilding itself so chemo would completely destroy it if not strengthened. Neulasta or Neupagen usually builds it back up. Is this the case if so have you asked the Dr about the neulasta or Neupagen injections? Or he may look into a bone marrow transplant. We have a woman here that has done very well with the marrow transplant. Do yourself a favor and call another hospital(cancer) out of state and get another opinion ASAP......

Love and Hope...Buzzard

earlier this year they had
    earlier this year they had to stop my chemo
    because it was starting to trash my bone marrow
    it took 3 months for my bone marrow to recover
    and then thay restarted chemo.
    I get weekly cbc's with differentials
    so they can keep an eye on it
  • Nicola77
    Nicola77 Member Posts: 3
    KATE58 said:

earlier this year they had