Survivor? I do not even know what my problem is?

Russell Hetherington
Russell Hetherington Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
Last week my PSA tested 39 and a second test showed 41. Bet the Wallabies would have liked to have had that score when they played the Irish last week (and Scots last night).

Anyway, my GP is not overly excited, I am scheduled for chest and adomin CT and nuclear bone scans etc Monday/Tuesday this week, with a biopsy next week.

I have read a lot and the only thing I have been able to determine is that if PSA is above 30 the prostrate is not operable.

Is there anyone who has experienced these levels of PSA?

I am 56yo, run 3.5km daily and do yoga. Except for the fact my body got smashed up in an auto accident 30 years ago and I now feel damage caused by an active sporting life, I reckon I feel the best I have for years.

In anticipation, I look forward to any comments.

Regards

Russell

Comments

• RiverRider
    RiverRider Member Posts: 15
    Russell, I know they tested
    Russell, I know they tested your PSA twice in a short time. Just wondering if they have eliminated the possibility that it may be pushed up from some variation of prostatitis.

Anyway, I don't imagine you'll know the true situation until after all the tests, scans, and especially from the biopsy.

In the mean time here is a link to a site you may not have seen, where they list the stories of men and sort them by PSA score at diagnosis.
    If you scroll down on this that page, you'll see the list of many many men with PSA's running from 20 to 7,000.

http://www.yananow.net/Chart-PSA1020.htm#20

It appears not many doing surgery over PSA 35.

RR
  • Russell, I know they tested
    Russell, I know they tested your PSA twice in a short time. Just wondering if they have eliminated the possibility that it may be pushed up from some variation of prostatitis.

Anyway, I don't imagine you'll know the true situation until after all the tests, scans, and especially from the biopsy.

In the mean time here is a link to a site you may not have seen, where they list the stories of men and sort them by PSA score at diagnosis.
    If you scroll down on this that page, you'll see the list of many many men with PSA's running from 20 to 7,000.

http://www.yananow.net/Chart-PSA1020.htm#20

It appears not many doing surgery over PSA 35.

RR

Early Days
    Thanks for your comments and the useful link.

On my symptoms I guess the GP just said "go for broke" first (as a matter of priority) and then consider the lesser options if the other tests are less of an indicator to any problems.

I am OK with that logic, albeit it stresses me out a bit.

Last week was not overly productive (had a bit on my mind), so I am in the office trying to take care of business. In any case it is 35C outside in Sydney and cooler in the office.

Tonight, I shall review the stories on the link in more detail.

Thanks again.

Regards

Russell
  • KATHERYN SPARKS
    KATHERYN SPARKS Member Posts: 2
    PSA LEVELS
    RUSSELL, MY HUSBAND AND I JUST RECENTLY RETURNED FROM THE MAYO CLINIC IN ROCHESTER MINNISOTA, HIS PSA LEVEL WAS FIRST DETECTED IN AUGUST IT WAS 35 THEY GAVE HIM A DOSE OF ANTIBIOTICS THEN CHECKED IT 10 DAYS LATER, IT WAS 45, ON OUR DOCTORS ADVICE HE SENT US TO THE MAYO CLINIC FOR SURGERY WITH DR,ROBERT MYERS, DONT WAIT, JOE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AGGRESIVE PROSTATE CANCER THEY TOOK HIS PROSTATE AND THE LEFT SEMINAL VESICLES DR MYERS WAS UNBELIEVABLE HE SAVED ALL THE NERVE BUNDLES JOE WILL HAVE A GREAT QUALITY OF LIFE, WHATEVER YOU DO DONT WAIT, HAVE OPEN RADICAL PROSECTOMY, THEY CAN SAVE MORE OF YOUR NERVES IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. ITS WORTH EVERY PENNY LET ME KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU,
  • William Parkinson
    William Parkinson Member Posts: 60 Member
    Russell, the PSA number has
    Russell, the PSA number has no bearing on whether you are a candidate for surgery. You need to have an endorectal MRI done, after having a biopsy (assuming that the biopsy shows cancer). If you are pT2 (organ-confined disease)or a pT3 patient (the disease is outside the prostate, sometime just in the capsule or sometimes in the prostate bed, but in any event, not present systemically) you are a candidate for surgery. For true pT2 disease I think surgery is the better option, but if the disease is present in the seminal vesicles or you have an extensive extracapsular extension, then perhaps radiotherapy might be a better bet. In any case, I wish you well.
    Cheers
    Bill
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    Hi
    Providing that you do not have an infection that is elevating your psa, or other factors such as bike riding or sex before the test I would think that the next step is a biopsy (make sure that you get at least 12 cores taken); an endorectal MRI was a great suggesting ( and if availalble there is a spectrocopy (MRS) that is done as the same time as the MRI that makes the results of the test more accurate. Here in the USA , for the most part only major hospitals have the resources for the spectroscopy.

Ira

PS Is your gp a urologist? I believe that it would be wise to have a urologist do the biopsy, and manage the initial phase of your treatment. Additionally , I am not a doctor, but I don't understand why the gp is ordering these other tests at this time before you get the results of your biopsy..
  • 2ndBase
    2ndBase Member Posts: 220
    Been There
    I went through what you are experiencing at age 52 and would gladly talk to you anytime. My phone number is 765-759-5841. Do not stress about any of this, in fact change your life and get rid of all stress in your work and day to day life. This is the main reason I have survived over 6 years and am the happiest man I know. My CT and nuclear scan were of no help. The biopsy is a must. My treatment was one shot of Lupron followed by 40 or so radiation treatments and that is all I've had. As expected the cancer had already spread but all the cancer in my prostate is gone as I had another biopsy in January and it was clear. I have watched my psa go from .17 after surgery to 40 now and doubling every 3 months or less. More treatment is recommended but I am not sure I will engage as I have watched my deceased wife go through it all with no success. After it spreads cancer is a **** to cure but your quality of life is under your control at all times and the decisions you make will have a great effect on the quality and enjoyment of the rest of your life. I wish you all the best.

Mark