JohnSFO update Scheduled for 12/1!

AceSFO
AceSFO Member Posts: 229
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
John experienced another blockage and we made a trip to the ER on Saturday after a valiant but fruitless attempt to move it along with Go-Litely (the daily Miralax doses had stopped working). To make a long story short, he got admitted and will have a colostomy on Monday or maybe Tuesday. We had expected an emergency colostomy when we went in, but they were able to make him comfortable (only after a fair amount of torture first - I could go on about that, but who wants to hear it) and the surgeon who did his original resection back in 2007 will do the operation. We're happy with that arrangement, as we both trust her and she's already familiar with his anastomosis and its idiosyncrasies.

I know he will appreciate any good intentions, prayers, private messages or whatever. We're not hung up on the terminology.
It's now 4:30 am and I just got back from Stanford Hospital. It still feels like Saturday to me, even though I know it's really Sunday.

Thanks to all of you - this board is an amazing community. Sitting there with him in the Stanford ER, I was thinking about you guys and feeling your support even though I had yet to post this.

Adrian

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Prayers are with you
    Adrian and John,

We are thinking of you. I just had an ostomy on Nov 11 and honestly, I am so glad I did. All my issues are now gone. Yes, I have to learn a "new" way of living, but it is easy-peasy in my book. Most of all, I have control back and the pain is gone.

Stanford is a great hospital. I used to live in the Bay Area and they saved my life when I had viral meningitis back in, well...let's say a long time ago! LOL! And my daughter was born at Stanford, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Good luck and many hugs to you both. Now, go get some rest! Vicki
  • thready
    thready Member Posts: 474
    Prayers for him and you
    Adrian,
    I will be praying for John and you, will pray for successes and comfort.
    Take care,
    Jan
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    definitely prayers coming
    definitely prayers coming your way!
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Hi Ace, Wishing John
    a successful operation and speedy recovery.....Steve
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    I want to wish John a speedy
    I want to wish John a speedy recovery, & will be thinking of him as he goes through this procedure. Keep good care of yourself during this.
  • TLG320
    TLG320 Member Posts: 167
    I'm praying...
    ...and sending best wishes for a smooth surgery and fast recovery for John. I'm also praying for you Adrian. I know how stressful this is for you as a caretaker. It will take some getting used to, but I'm sure that the procedure will bring relief to both of you.

Prayers and best wishes,
    Tashina
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • melissaincali
    melissaincali Member Posts: 34
    It will be okay.
    Hi Adrian,
    So sorry to hear that John is having to go through this, but it will be okay. I am sitting at Memorial Sloan Kettering next to Brant who has a nicely functioning colostomy right now. When we first thought he would have to have one last April, we were sad about it but now that things have turned even more serious we could care less about the colostomy.

Since Brant's tumor was so low it was causing a lot of pain and having the APR and the colostomy has really helped that. We know the colostomy will be a "new normal" and we will get used to the care. I hope it brings some relief to John as well. Please PM me and let me know who your doctors are at Stanford. We would love to be able to help or give a heads up to some doctor friends there to watch out for you guys.
    Love,
    Melissa
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    Please
    let John know we are thinking about him and praying for him. I sure hope this brings him some relief and very soon. I pray for a speedy recovery and that he will be home in no time at all.
    *HUGS*
    God Bless you both
    Beth
  • Jimbob-
    Jimbob- Member Posts: 46
    dorookie said:

Please
    let John know we are thinking about him and praying for him. I sure hope this brings him some relief and very soon. I pray for a speedy recovery and that he will be home in no time at all.
    *HUGS*
    God Bless you both
    Beth

Hello Adrian, Thanks for
    Hello Adrian, Thanks for the update. Tell John I am praying for him.

I have a permanent colostomy due to ColorectalCancer. It has saved my life.

When you have questions about Ostomy management let me recommend a couple os sites.

First is UOAA.org You will get more info there than you can possible ever use.

c3life.com is another great place. Lots of good info.

if you want some live chat and instant information Ostomyland.com has a 24/7 chat room. People there are always willing to help.

And of course here and the Chat room are good sources for the cancer related stuff.

Good luck to you both......Jimbob
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Jimbob- said:

Hello Adrian, Thanks for
    Hello Adrian, Thanks for the update. Tell John I am praying for him.

I have a permanent colostomy due to ColorectalCancer. It has saved my life.

When you have questions about Ostomy management let me recommend a couple os sites.

First is UOAA.org You will get more info there than you can possible ever use.

c3life.com is another great place. Lots of good info.

if you want some live chat and instant information Ostomyland.com has a 24/7 chat room. People there are always willing to help.

And of course here and the Chat room are good sources for the cancer related stuff.

Good luck to you both......Jimbob

Hey Guys
    My thoughts and prayers are going out to both of you..I know its not easy being in either position....But hang in there it has GOT to get better...We are here for you...JULIE
    P.S. as everyone keeps telling me just keep plugging along second by second and eventually we will all get there..Where I don't know but there lol lol
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    I'll be thinking about you
    I'll be thinking about both of you. I hope everything goes good. It means a lot that you like the surgeon. Please keep us informed. Paula
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Thinking of you both.
    Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the update. John and I were just talking about the "inevitability" of a colostomy last week.

I hope things go well with the surgery and that you are both able to adjust to a new normal smoothly.

Holding you in the light... Rob; in Vancouver.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    tell John I'm praying
    Adrian,

I will be thinking of and praying for John as he undergoes the colostomy surgery. I just posted about what my week entails and mentioned also that I know others are going through a lot of things this week, also. I didn't know yet about John when I wrote that, but I guess it just adds to what everyone is going through this week.
    You take care and I think it's probably a good thing that the original surgeon that you're comfortable with is doing the surgery.
    It will be a huge adjustment after the surgery, but hopefully it will help bring relief and healing to the problems he's been having.

You take care-
    Lisa
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Holding you and John in the
    Holding you and John in the Light.
    Audrey
  • johnsfo
    johnsfo Member Posts: 47
    Aud said:

Holding you and John in the
    Holding you and John in the Light.
    Audrey

Thanks to all of you!
    Dear Friends,

Adrian brought my laptop to the hospital today, and I just read all of your messages. Thank you all so much! I almost wrote that you don't know how good you all make me feel -- but I think we all do know how good this group is for all of us.

I'm feeling OK right now and will be glad to be feeling good soon.

Much love,

John
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Praying for both of you
    John and Adrian,
    You will both be in my prayers. I pray the surgery will go well and John will adjust to the colostomy with no problems. You are in great hands at Stanford. I'll be thinking about you John when you and in surgery and you Adrian as you wait for John.
    Take care.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • coolvdub
    coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member

Praying for both of you
    John and Adrian,
    You will both be in my prayers. I pray the surgery will go well and John will adjust to the colostomy with no problems. You are in great hands at Stanford. I'll be thinking about you John when you and in surgery and you Adrian as you wait for John.
    Take care.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen

Life will be better
    Adrian & John,

I feel the pain you are going through. I to am in the hospital this holiday weekend. I will be thinking positive thoughts for a sucessful surgery and speedy recovery, as well as thinking exta positve thoughts for Adrian while you are in surgery.

Don
  • Sigma34
    Sigma34 Member Posts: 203
    johnsfo said:

Thanks to all of you!
    Dear Friends,

Adrian brought my laptop to the hospital today, and I just read all of your messages. Thank you all so much! I almost wrote that you don't know how good you all make me feel -- but I think we all do know how good this group is for all of us.

I'm feeling OK right now and will be glad to be feeling good soon.

Much love,

John

I'm praying for you both as
    I'm praying for you both as well. I moved to NJ recently but I was born and raised in the Los Gatos-Campbell area and lived in Alameda right before moving here. OH! How I miss the farmer's market in the city! More prayers coming.

Christine
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Praying
    Hi, Adrian.

I'm praying for you and John. I hope the operation will go well, and John will get some major relief.

*hugs*
    Gail