Information on radiation after chemo

Lesliew
Lesliew Member Posts: 2
62 yr female diagnosed with endometrial cancer IIIc after radical hysterectomy; 1 lymph node affected and 1 para-aorta lymph node enlarged-27 nodes analyzed.
I will have my 3rd (out of 6) chemo treatment on Monday and am scheduled to have a Pet/CT scan the following Thursday. I am not scheduled to see the oncologist until another 3 weeks following the scan. Has anyone been thru this sort of protocol? If the scan shows metabolic activity is radiation always prescribed? If there is no activity, can I safely conclude that the cancer has been contained or will I still have to endure radiation? What is the typical radiation protocol (when will it start, how many sessions over how many months).

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    Radiation questions
    Hi Leslie! I am Stage 2B, no positive nodes. Tested 22 lymph nodes and some para-aorta nodes all of which were negative. I am on a protocol which is nicknamed the "sandwich" protocol and includes a cycle of 3 treatments of Paxel and Carboplaten (once every 3 weeks) then wait three weeks and have 25 external radiation and 3 internal radiation brachytherapy, wait three weeks and then start the chemo cycles again times three.

Are you going to see a radiation oncologist to determine your radiation protocol. Its important that your gynecologist oncologist surgeeon and a radiation oncologist are working on your treatment plan together and that they clearly explain to you your treatment plan and rational for it. Ask what the "standard protocol" for your type and stage of cancer is. It looks like from your message that you are seeing your oncologist in 3 weeks. Radiation helps to ensure that there aren't any cancer cells floating about in your pelvic area or vaginal vault.

The potential side effects should be discussed with you by your radiation oncologist before you sign the consent form for radiation. It is important to ask the radiation oncologist about the percentages of the population (people) receiving the amount and type of radiation you are getting. The probability of getting a side effect from radiation is what I wanted to understand. Also you may be able to meet with a nurse who specializes in working with patients undergoing radiation treatments. The nurses have seen and heard it all and they will give you good information about potential side effects and what can be done to minimize or manage through them.