Patteee
Patteee Member Posts: 945
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
how is the new chemo routine going

Comments

• robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Erbitux & Irinotecan Yecch!
    I started on Wednesday and am just working through the nausea, fatigue and diarrhea that comes with the Irinotecan.

Lot's of time sleeping!

Rob; in Vancouver
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Sorry
    So sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I'm hoping in the next couple days that you feel better. I'm thinking of you and get better soon - we need your wonderful posts.

Kim
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Sorry
    So sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I'm hoping in the next couple days that you feel better. I'm thinking of you and get better soon - we need your wonderful posts.

Kim

Rob...
    Keep on top of the nausea by taking the pills even if you don't feel nauseous..do they have you on Emend and Dexamethasone, make sure you try those, those are the only things (except of course some maryjane) that has helped me with the nausea...Emend, Dexamethasone, Zofran and Compazine, every few hours for the last two drugs. Even Ativan helps, but it's also a sleeping aide for me.

Try drinking lots of water, broth and saltines, helped quite abit! I sure hope you're feeling better soon, I just got disconnected from my pump yesterday and feel great, so hopefully you'll get to that point where the drugs will get it under control, and your body adapts to it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • johnsfo
    johnsfo Member Posts: 47
    Shayenne said:

Rob...
    Keep on top of the nausea by taking the pills even if you don't feel nauseous..do they have you on Emend and Dexamethasone, make sure you try those, those are the only things (except of course some maryjane) that has helped me with the nausea...Emend, Dexamethasone, Zofran and Compazine, every few hours for the last two drugs. Even Ativan helps, but it's also a sleeping aide for me.

Try drinking lots of water, broth and saltines, helped quite abit! I sure hope you're feeling better soon, I just got disconnected from my pump yesterday and feel great, so hopefully you'll get to that point where the drugs will get it under control, and your body adapts to it.

Hugsss!
    ~Donna

yecchh indeed
    I found irinotecan harder than oxaliplatin. What worked best for me: ask for an extra dose of atropine before the infusion. Take Ativan BEFORE the infusion. I took it just as the infusion began, and I fell asleep during the infusion, slept most of the rest of the day, and continued taking it until the extreme nausea subsided. An antiemetic, promethazine, taken before and after the infusion helped too. Pot, by the way, worked well for me to ease the nausea from oxaliplatin, but it didn't work with irinotecan -- who knows why?

Wishing you well.

John
  • Kathryn_in_MN
    Kathryn_in_MN Member Posts: 1,252 Member
    robinvan said:

Erbitux & Irinotecan Yecch!
    I started on Wednesday and am just working through the nausea, fatigue and diarrhea that comes with the Irinotecan.

Lot's of time sleeping!

Rob; in Vancouver

Sorry
    Hope you start feeling a little better soon. I haven't hit diarrhea stage yet this cycle - that is probably tomorrow if it is like the last 2. Sounds like no matter which chemo routine we get, they have a lot of the same problems.

I'm with you on the sleep right now!

Rest, and push those fluids!