BMB Proceedure pain or something else?

catwink22
catwink22 Member Posts: 281
I have Follicular NHL and I am in the watch & wait period. I had a bone marrow biopsy back on Sept 11, 2009, which came back clear. It was very painful for me and I was so sore for 2 weeks after to the point where sitting in my car was very uncomfortable. Almost 2 months later I still ache in my hip. Most of the time it's when I sit for more than 1/2 hour at a time (I have a desk job), lay too long in one position (sleeping), or walking especially up hill. I am wondering if this is just some lasting pain from the proceedure, maybe I'm not totally healed yet or if it is something else. Has anyone had soreness that lasted this long? You are all so helpful, this is a wonderful site! Thank you.

Comments

• donald51
    donald51 Member Posts: 62
    BMB Pain
    Hi catwink,
    Sorry to hear about your need to have a BMB proceedure to begin with. Yes, they can be quit painful for sure. When I had mine done (25% BMI or less)I felt pain from it for months. It wasn't constant or anything. It would just show up. My onc said that he would have to do it again after my zevalin treatment. That was June of '08. Glad I didn't need it afterall and hope that you don't either. Do you know anything else about your dx? Like what stage? Indolent? Hope you are well.
    Stay strong and positive always, Don
  • confusion_1
    confusion_1 Member Posts: 5
    BMB
    I also had pain for what seemed like forever after my bone marrow biopsy. Same as you it sounds like. No real reason for it, but evens months later I would bend or sit wrong and would feel it. Good luck.
  • catwink22

BMB
    I also had pain for what seemed like forever after my bone marrow biopsy. Same as you it sounds like. No real reason for it, but evens months later I would bend or sit wrong and would feel it. Good luck.

Thanks!
    Whew that's definitely a relief to hear! Some people seem to breeze through that ole biopsy, but I thought it was rough. I am stage 3, indolent. I have it in all my lymph nodes but nowhere else.....yet. Bone marrow and spleen are clear. It's hard to wrap my mind around that "have to get worse before I get better" thing. Thanks for the responses, they are so much help. Good Luck to you all too!
  • donald51
    catwink22 said:

Thanks!
    Whew that's definitely a relief to hear! Some people seem to breeze through that ole biopsy, but I thought it was rough. I am stage 3, indolent. I have it in all my lymph nodes but nowhere else.....yet. Bone marrow and spleen are clear. It's hard to wrap my mind around that "have to get worse before I get better" thing. Thanks for the responses, they are so much help. Good Luck to you all too!

BMB
    You are welcome. Sounds like my own dx. At first it was stage 4 because of bmi but after 2nd opinion it was lowered to stage3 so I could qualify for preferred treatment. I too could not accept the idea of letting something unwanted to grow and spread before treating. So I didn't. Have you considered treatment options? If you don't mind me asking?
  • catwink22
    donald51 said:

BMB
    You are welcome. Sounds like my own dx. At first it was stage 4 because of bmi but after 2nd opinion it was lowered to stage3 so I could qualify for preferred treatment. I too could not accept the idea of letting something unwanted to grow and spread before treating. So I didn't. Have you considered treatment options? If you don't mind me asking?

Pending
    I have another PET scan scheduled for Jan. That will be my second, so I will compare it to the first and decide what my next move will be. I have no symptoms except for the enlarged nodes so I think I have some time to see how fast this is progressing. I know it's not if I have treatment, it's when. I'm having as much difficulty dealing with putting the chemicals in me as having the cancer. I know when the time comes it is what I will have to do and I will do it. Now I just have to figure out when that time is. I have a lot of autoimmune disease in my family so I am considering going to a rhuematologist also, but I wonder if that's putting too many chef's in the kitchen? Are you still in treatment? Thanks for your concern!
  • donald51
    catwink22 said:

Pending
    I have another PET scan scheduled for Jan. That will be my second, so I will compare it to the first and decide what my next move will be. I have no symptoms except for the enlarged nodes so I think I have some time to see how fast this is progressing. I know it's not if I have treatment, it's when. I'm having as much difficulty dealing with putting the chemicals in me as having the cancer. I know when the time comes it is what I will have to do and I will do it. Now I just have to figure out when that time is. I have a lot of autoimmune disease in my family so I am considering going to a rhuematologist also, but I wonder if that's putting too many chef's in the kitchen? Are you still in treatment? Thanks for your concern!

Decisions and chemicals
    I know it can be overwhelming to have to make such decisions during such a trying time in life and I know that you will find the one that's right for you. As I said before, I could'nt accept the theory of "watchful waiting". When I found out that I had IT and had IT for years, due to the fact that IT was slow growing I figured it was time for IT to go. I already knew I didn't want traditional radiation and chemo therapy because of the additional ailments that can develop from the tx. So I sought out what I first saw when searching follicular lymphoma on the net, ZEVALIN(see my story by going to my profile and click on blog tab). My zevalin tx was administered in June '08 and I was in remission by August without any adverse effects such as wieght loss, gettig sick or loosing hair. I am a BIG advocate for new cancer treatments available to us. I am still NED(No Evidence of Disease)according to my last ct scan. I do go for "maintenance therapy" every two months. This therapy consists of an infusion of the drug named Rituxan. It takes about 2 hours and off I go. This proceedure will continue for 2-5 years. This drug rituxan is also used with chemo tx as well as moderately-to severely-active rheumatoid arthritis. Learn all you can to help you make your dicisions. Discuss them all with you loved ones and your doctors but in the end, it's your dicision. Good luck.
    Stay strong and positive. Don