Friday Riddle

nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
NO GOOGLING OR SEARCHING ON THE INTERNET ALLOWED!!!

RIDDLE: You are on a spaceship with 2 computers. You have 2 doors, one leads to a room with the spacesuits, the other opens directly to outer space (and certain death). Both computers know which door is safe and which is not. One problem is that one computer can only tell the truth and the other can only lie. The other problem is there is no way to know which computer is which.

What is the one question that you can ask EITHER computer that will guarantee directions to the door leading to the room with space suits?

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Dave
    Dave, why do you want to leave the spaceship Dave?
    I'm sorry but I can not let you jeopardize the mission Dave.
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    "Would the other computer ...
    "Would the other computer say the left door leads to the spacesuits?" ("Yes" means it's the right door, and "no" means it's the left door.)

--Greg
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    PGLGreg said:

"Would the other computer ...
    "Would the other computer say the left door leads to the spacesuits?" ("Yes" means it's the right door, and "no" means it's the left door.)

--Greg

So if the left door is correct
    and you asked the lying computer if the left door leads to the spacesuit, it would say NO. If you asked it what the other computer would say, it would say YES (because it lies)

Then you asked the truthful computer if the left door leads to the spacesuit, it would say YES. If you asked it what the other computer would say it would tell you NO.

I'm on chemo so I guess I'm missing something here.
    This isn't like trying to cure cancer so it's not important but I don't think that based on asking one computer one question that you can derive the answer, but like I said, I'm on chemo.

Thank God I'm not in space (just spaced out). I'm still trying to figure out what to wear today, I don't think it will be my spacesuit
    -p