petP

always
always Member Posts: 256
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
pet scan? Can anyone tell me how long? Is it like the noisy MRI is it enclosed? I have one tomorrow at 10 am. 10 am injected with whatever and then test at 10:45. Also why do I have such a hard time entering a subject. What am I doing wrong?

always,

Becky

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Pet Scans
    All Pet Scans run different times. As for the noise it is not like a MRI.

I don't understand what you mean by entering a subject.

Go to: Post a topic
    Write in your subject line and then either tab or put your curser in the body and start typing.

Margo
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    The machine is very similar
    The machine is very similar but no loud noise. Other than waiting for the radioactive material to be distributed throughout your body it is pretty quick.
    As far as problems with posting, it happens alot, its not you!
  • always
    elm3544 said:

The machine is very similar
    The machine is very similar but no loud noise. Other than waiting for the radioactive material to be distributed throughout your body it is pretty quick.
    As far as problems with posting, it happens alot, its not you!

thanks
    thanks...
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Pet is not noisy, just
    Pet is not noisy, just wanted to remind you no zippers, and you cannot eat or drink anything, except water, prior to the scan. I forgot the last time I went. Also, the room is freezing cold so wear something warm and ask for a blanket, you are in the machine about 30 minutes. How come they are doing a pet scan..
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    meena1 said:

Pet is not noisy, just
    Pet is not noisy, just wanted to remind you no zippers, and you cannot eat or drink anything, except water, prior to the scan. I forgot the last time I went. Also, the room is freezing cold so wear something warm and ask for a blanket, you are in the machine about 30 minutes. How come they are doing a pet scan..

Nothing to eat or drink
    Nothing to eat or drink before test. It is not noisy. It takes about 30 to 40 minutes to be scanned. They inject you with a small amount of radioactive glucose and wait until it travels through out your body, they tell you to urinate just before getting on scan table to rid your kidneys of the glucose. My results were back the next day.
    Deb
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Preparing for PETScan
    Uggghhh...I remember having to drink glass after glass of a thick sugary water in addition to the radioactive injection (which, by the way, they bring out in a very thick lead container. But don't let that scare you!). Just about the fourth glassful when I announced it would be impossible to get anymore down me and keep it down, they announced that was all I needed to have. Then they put warm blankets on me and I dozed off for about an hour. I also dozed off during the actual test which took about 45 minutes. I didn't get much sleep the night before worring about it and wasn't allowed my morning coffee. I had to be at the hospital in Pittsburg an hour and a half away by 5:30am!! This meant I had to leave my home at 3:00am!! It is not loud and very painless! It is very doable. Pammy
  • always
    Akiss4me said:

Preparing for PETScan
    Uggghhh...I remember having to drink glass after glass of a thick sugary water in addition to the radioactive injection (which, by the way, they bring out in a very thick lead container. But don't let that scare you!). Just about the fourth glassful when I announced it would be impossible to get anymore down me and keep it down, they announced that was all I needed to have. Then they put warm blankets on me and I dozed off for about an hour. I also dozed off during the actual test which took about 45 minutes. I didn't get much sleep the night before worring about it and wasn't allowed my morning coffee. I had to be at the hospital in Pittsburg an hour and a half away by 5:30am!! This meant I had to leave my home at 3:00am!! It is not loud and very painless! It is very doable. Pammy

thanks for the information
    I have to be there at 10 am. That is a long time to wait for my morning caffeine fix but it sounds pretty doable.
  • always
    meena1 said:

Pet is not noisy, just

Why?
    The Pet Scan is just one of about 7 tests that the onc decided needed to be done and quickly when he saw the results of my cat scan. He my entire body now for anything and everything. I am a bit confused how the tests overlap in terms of information. There are 3 MRI'S and a bone scan besides this PET Scan plus a possible liver biopsy. All to be done as early as possible going into this week so we can start whatever chemo he determines based on the results. Unless there is more surgery? I am just waiting to deal with whatever it is when we know. That is the one thing I took away from all the great advise and threads I have been reading. No sense in worrying about the unknown. I can't control it. So the plan is scan tomorrow morning and family picture tomorrow afternoon while I still have hair. Next week I am getting a short cut and we will do another family picture. Then when buzz time comes. I am going to gather the troops for still another picture. I figure if I can pull off smiling in all of them the kids will be able to follow suit.