Symptoms - any suggestions

My mother had a hysterectomy years ago. She is now having bleeding when she goes to the bathroom. She started out with a UTI and they treated her for that. She is still in severe pain. She hurts when she walks or even sitting up. She does not get much relief when lying down either. They have checked her for blood in the urine and there is none. However when she goes to the bathroom there is blood on the paper. She is having spotting off and on and then sometimes it is more like she is on a period. She has burning with urination and severe pain with bowel movements. She is also experiencing constipation quite frequently. She said when she wipes that she can feel something bulging that is very painful. I looked at her tonight to see how serious this really is. From the outside you can not see anything. Even when you pull the lips apart you can not see anything. However when you open up the vaginal opening, there is a very small pin hole there nothing like the size that could hold a tampon or penis. This is a very, very small opening. This is also something else that is bulging and closing that area off. She said it feels like her insides are coming out. I have looked up information about prolapsed vagina and some cancers. I am just scared at to what this could be. Her mother died at 52 from cancer (breast and others) and my mom is 51 now.

Sorry to have been graphic. I am overwhelmed as she was just diagnosed with Basal Cell Carcinoma (skin cancer) this week and my husband was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer on 8/10/09. I am only 31 myself and this is a lot to handle all at once.

Comments

• tnstudent
    tnstudent Member Posts: 45
    Is there anyone on this
    Is there anyone on this board? I have not gotten any replies so just wondering where everyone was?
  • beckyracn
    beckyracn Member Posts: 322
    tnstudent said:

Is there anyone on this
    Is there anyone on this board? I have not gotten any replies so just wondering where everyone was?

tnstuden,
    We are here...some

tnstuden,
    We are here...some of us just don't log on everyday. It sounds like you really have your hands full! And it sounds like your mom really needs to see a doctor/gyn. That's where you'll get your answers. Bleeding and bulging body parts are not a good combination. Keep posting updates please. Once you've got an answer...maybe someone here will have answers to your questions.
  • funbeadgirl
    funbeadgirl Member Posts: 181 Member
    tnstudent said:

Is there anyone on this

hang in there
    I am sorry for the situation you find yourself in. I agree you need to get your Mom to a doctor pronto, at least a physical exam should be done and tests run. I would think a gyn/oncologist would have best experience with women's issues. I do look at the boards everyday, a.m. and p.m., if you need to talk I will respond.
    I have had 2 cancers in past 8 months, vulvar adenocarcinoma and thyroid cancer, I had surgery with both, radiation for 5 1/2 weeks and radioactive iodine treatment recently, neither cancer were related to each other, both separate issues.
    There are very good docs out there, but you may have to be a little pro-active to get a hearing ear, I would not wait.My best to you.
  • tnstudent

hang in there
    I am sorry for the situation you find yourself in. I agree you need to get your Mom to a doctor pronto, at least a physical exam should be done and tests run. I would think a gyn/oncologist would have best experience with women's issues. I do look at the boards everyday, a.m. and p.m., if you need to talk I will respond.
    I have had 2 cancers in past 8 months, vulvar adenocarcinoma and thyroid cancer, I had surgery with both, radiation for 5 1/2 weeks and radioactive iodine treatment recently, neither cancer were related to each other, both separate issues.
    There are very good docs out there, but you may have to be a little pro-active to get a hearing ear, I would not wait.My best to you.

My mother does not have any
    My mother does not have any health insurance and is unemployed as I am also. She has to rely on the local health department. She did go today (Thursday) for a complete physical and pap smear. Now we sit and wait for the results. She has not had blood for a day or two now so maybe better, not sure. The weird thing is when the doctor did her exam and pap smear today she asked my mother if she was overly sexually active. My mother has not been sexually active since 1999. I found that kinda strange and wondered what would make the doctor ask that??? I will let you know what we find out but might be a little while. Public government run health departments are not the best and do not get in a hurry.

Oh and I did take her to the ER last Friday night. They could not find any blood whatsoever. They said everything looked normal to them upon physical examination other than shrinkage associated with menopausal changes. The only thing they did find was a little irritation which they said could be a yeast infection starting. Other than that they could not find anything wrong to cause the bleeding or the severe pain. They referred her to her regular MD for examination and pap smear which was done today. This is really frustrating.
  • funbeadgirl
    funbeadgirl Member Posts: 181 Member
    tnstudent said:

My mother does not have any
    My mother does not have any health insurance and is unemployed as I am also. She has to rely on the local health department. She did go today (Thursday) for a complete physical and pap smear. Now we sit and wait for the results. She has not had blood for a day or two now so maybe better, not sure. The weird thing is when the doctor did her exam and pap smear today she asked my mother if she was overly sexually active. My mother has not been sexually active since 1999. I found that kinda strange and wondered what would make the doctor ask that??? I will let you know what we find out but might be a little while. Public government run health departments are not the best and do not get in a hurry.

Oh and I did take her to the ER last Friday night. They could not find any blood whatsoever. They said everything looked normal to them upon physical examination other than shrinkage associated with menopausal changes. The only thing they did find was a little irritation which they said could be a yeast infection starting. Other than that they could not find anything wrong to cause the bleeding or the severe pain. They referred her to her regular MD for examination and pap smear which was done today. This is really frustrating.

Moms exam
    Are you in the U.S.? If so, contact the American Cancer Society, they have resources available to people without insurance.
    I will tell you that menopausal changes can cause a lot of problems, but I do not think that any amount of bleeding is normal and that needs to be addressed. I know the waiting for those test results is very stressful, so I would suggest using that time to find some sources for financial help,perhaps a social worker or something like that.

I really feel for you, this must be very hard on you with your husbands health also an issue, I really hope that things work out for you , your Mom and husband, and you all get the attention you need.
  • tnstudent

Moms exam
    Are you in the U.S.? If so, contact the American Cancer Society, they have resources available to people without insurance.
    I will tell you that menopausal changes can cause a lot of problems, but I do not think that any amount of bleeding is normal and that needs to be addressed. I know the waiting for those test results is very stressful, so I would suggest using that time to find some sources for financial help,perhaps a social worker or something like that.

I really feel for you, this must be very hard on you with your husbands health also an issue, I really hope that things work out for you , your Mom and husband, and you all get the attention you need.

Yes we are in the US. We are
    Yes we are in the US. We are in Tennessee. Thanks for answering me and I have been doing some research already to try to be as informed as possible on both of their conditions. I will keep you posted when we hear something.