Questions , Questions & more Questions

stevie178
stevie178 Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Aside from being given my wife's DX of IBC I have been pounding ground to see if there is any type of assistance out there for us in these trying economic times.She does not have the ability of the FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) because she has not been employed for the last 12 months at her current job . My wife also won't be able to draw unemployment due to the fact (if I understood correctly) that if she is not able to work then how is she able to look for work. We at least will be able to keep the COBRA insurance but we all know that there is no major savings there. I'm sure that some of you have probably been thrown in this situation as well and I'm frankly sick of being shot down on the telephone. Should I try SSDI or speak with a social worker at the hospital ? Any advice right now is greatly appreciated and like many of you , we can use all the help we can get .

Best Wishes to you all

Steve & T

Comments

• Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    Steve, I am so sorry to hear
    Steve, I am so sorry to hear that you are having thee other concerns along with your wife's illness. My advice would be to start with the social worker at the hospital to see what ideas he/she would have in resolving this situation.

Best wishes...
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Help......
    You should talk to a "financial counselor" where your wife will receive her treatments....They maybe able to help you and are experienced in these types of situations.....also is she eligible for any type of disability?Also you could try the American Cancer Society for advice.....I'm sure someone will come along on this site with more information......
    I wish you both the best
  • Jeanie4164
    Jeanie4164 Member Posts: 13
    Prayer works
    I went through bringing home 600.00 a week to nothing, I know God was with me because some how I made it through every month. I would ask God for help and there it was each time. I mean to tell you that when I realy truly needed something it was there.

Do talk to the american cancer they should be able to help you out. The other comments I read sounds like great advice. But do pray GOD will answer your prayers. I will be praying for you both also!

Jeanie
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    steve
    i would try ssdi i was in treatment for aug 07 til feb 09 . long story i should have tryed for ssdi.
    hugs to you and your wife
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    I myself wasnt eligible for
    I myself wasnt eligible for FMLA being at my current employer for 8 months, but I was eligible for short term disability through my employer. Must use all my PTO hours, be unable to work for 30 days. I will only draw 60% of my wages, but that beats nothing, except for the fact when diability starts Ill have to pay my insurance premiums. Check the Amer Cancer resourses, I think its called Healthwell? They might be of help.
    Deb
  • Deb1969
    Deb1969 Member Posts: 165
    That is true about
    That is true about unemployment. My brother was unemloyed and was diagnosed with a brain tumor and on life support the beginning of this year. His unemployment was stopped because he wasnt "actively looking and seeking employment" It doesnt make sense to me.
    Deb
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    Deb1969 said:

That is true about
    That is true about unemployment. My brother was unemloyed and was diagnosed with a brain tumor and on life support the beginning of this year. His unemployment was stopped because he wasnt "actively looking and seeking employment" It doesnt make sense to me.
    Deb

This is why we need
    This is why we need healthcare reform!This should not be happening to people in their time of greatest need.
  • stevie178
    stevie178 Member Posts: 31
    lanie940 said:

This is why we need
    This is why we need healthcare reform!This should not be happening to people in their time of greatest need.

Amen , thank you all for
    Amen , thank you all for your input and hopefully we can find something out there for help !
    I would like to think that being a law abiding , tax paying citizen counts for something but I guess time will tell.

Thank you all

Steve & T
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    stevie178 said:

Amen , thank you all for
    Amen , thank you all for your input and hopefully we can find something out there for help !
    I would like to think that being a law abiding , tax paying citizen counts for something but I guess time will tell.

Thank you all

Steve & T

it will work out
    it counts for every thing.
  • redriverartist
    redriverartist Member Posts: 54
    You might check into
    You might check into temporary disability with the social security office. That may be one avenue for you.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

You might check into
    You might check into temporary disability with the social security office. That may be one avenue for you.

Short Term Disability from work
    Steve,
    There are several options depending on her employer policy.
    Short Terms Disability insurance check with HR does she has it or not and how much for how long.
    Social Security disability Benefits Clinical social worker at the hospital and your oncologist office should help you and navigate through procedure.
    If you live in any of NY, NJ, CA and two other states there is State Disability benefits with could be used for 12 months.
    Clinical worker at the hospital and your oncologist office usually have necessary forms or know where you can get them.
    Good luck
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Also, depending on your
    Also, depending on your wife's treatment, she may be able to continue to work. I am currently taking chemo and have been fortunate to work a 40 hour week every week other than my chemo week. I take Thursday and Friday off that week. Just a thought. Best of luck to you both!