Newbie on the board

2»

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Don't Delay, Start Chemo TODAY!
    I wouldn't wait, I went through Feb, March and onward with the FOLFOX. It didn't make that big of a difference. It was the eating/drinking cold things that got to me, not the temp outside. I would not give the cancer any time to gain a hold.
    That's me, you have to make your own decision (obviously) but any way you slice it, it's a PITA
    -p
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    I would definitely NOT
    I would definitely NOT delay. I went through FOLFOX in October and November...you just have to wrap up well outside because the wind will definitely be uncomfortable. And keep the temperature in your house nice and cozy. I mean, my heating bill was atrocious, but I had to do, what I had to do! Cancer is much worst than a large heating bill!

-Sheri
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Gatta start now
    Hello PITA and welcome to the board. The only thing I can say is to start now. The cancer wont wait to attack for 6 months so why would you? Attack it now!!
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Gatta start now
    Hello PITA and welcome to the board. The only thing I can say is to start now. The cancer wont wait to attack for 6 months so why would you? Attack it now!!

What They....
    ....all said above me, START NOW! you don't want to chance that cancer to spread to other places while putting it off, do you? it could be everywhere by then, please start ASAP, to at least keep it at bay :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    I Agree
    I must have missed this one earlier.

Well, the group has already covered this one very well.

There is no TIMETABLE for doing chemo, but I agree with everyone that it would be in your best interest to get started - Cancer does not rest and right now you cannot afford to either.

Now, go get 'em!

-Craig
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Sundanceh said:

I Agree
    I must have missed this one earlier.

Well, the group has already covered this one very well.

There is no TIMETABLE for doing chemo, but I agree with everyone that it would be in your best interest to get started - Cancer does not rest and right now you cannot afford to either.

Now, go get 'em!

-Craig

My 2 cents....
    I guess I will be echoing - but DO IT. I was Dx'd on my birthday last year - 11/7, and I live in Minnesota.

I was told about most of it, but I didn't believe anything until I felt it. We bought warm gloves, socks and boots. Had a remote started put in my truck (I argued because of the cost, but it turned out to be the best thing ever). I am an office manager for the RR. I type all day long.

I also had the resection (emergency) surgery on my birthday, was in the hospital for 10 days after, and was in pretty bad shape. They said they got it all, but there was node involvement and wanted the chemo to begin basically right away. I wanted to wait til spring, they wouldn't let me.

The first few treatments weren't bad, although cold hurt my throat, but only during treatment, this went away a day or two later. I started in December, my 2nd treatment was over Christmas. By the end of January, the cold was really getting to me, and basically the tingly feeling in the feet and hands would start as soon as they hooked me up. At this time I was also still very insistant on doing everything myself - driving to work, grocery shopping, etc. I am the one here that experienced frozen eyes - which scared the bejesus out of me the first time - so I suggest being careful of teary eyes and cold wind - use the scarf!

As far as work goes, I would take off the first day of treatment, and then do a half day on days 3 and 4, as once I was unhooked I was exhausted, but I'm sure that the steroid they give in the beginning had much to do with all the cleaning I would do while on treatment! Honestly, I experienced a little of everything, but nothing was so horrible that I couldn't function. The fridge and freezer took a little getting used to, and sitting in the chair for 4 hours tended to get a bit antsy.

I was done my last treatment May 15th, and most everything is gone as far as side effects, aside from tingly hands and feet - which I said elsewhere, I thought had mostly gone away, but with the cold we have, some is back a bit more than I wanted.

After all of this, however, I couldn't have imagined going through it in the summer - just think about it being 90 degrees out and wanting a glass of ice water, and NOT being able to have it? At least in the winter I drink tea and hot chocolate...

By the way - welcome to the boards - sorry you had to join, but you came to the right place! Great people and great advice.....

Sherrie
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    The other side
    Hi PITA,

You know, if you postpone chemo it doesn't mean you don't have anything to do. You can do many natural healing modalities until you do the chemo. There's juicing organic fresh veggies and dietary changes to start with. I did that 8 years ago and never did any of the recommended adjuvant chemo of 5-FU and leucovorin. That was the first line treatment done by the Mayo Clinic back in 2001 when I was diagnosed.

Here's my background:

Stage III sigmoid colon cancer, lymph positive, zero mets. Because of the lymph involvement my oncologist recommended the 5-FU/leuc. and was saving the big guns in case of recurrence. I started researching my options before my feet even hit the hospital floor post surgery. Dr. Ralph Moss's book Questioning Chemotherapy was the first resource I read. So glad I did. I never did the chemo. I juiced instead and am here to tell you 8 years later I have not had a recurrence to date remaining cancer free. So regardless if you postpone or not, I just want to give you hope. :-)

www.cancerdecisions.com -- He's a researcher and keeps his finger on the pulse of chemotherapy and complementary treatments for all types of cancer. I find his website and e-newsletter highly informative. If you're the type, like me, who wants to educate oneself on the disease and the treatment then you may want to check out what his research says about the protocol you're being advised to take.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Semi-colons.

peace, emily
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    Go after the cancer!
    That's my motto. I go after the cancer instead of the cancer going after me!!! I did the treatment through the winter and it was fine. There are plenty of warm cloths out there. As for the neropathy, my onc had me skip the bolster shot in the middle day to help lessen the neropathy and it did help. God bless you on your journey