5 years NED for this stage IV survivor............cancer free/cured?

scouty
scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I recently had my semi-annual testing and everything looked great. My oncologist was pretty animated (very rare for him) with trying to figure out what and when to test with me going forward since I am in non-surgical remission.

It seemed to freak him out that he can't "explain" my NEDness which strikes me as strange. You would think that after 30 plus years in GI oncology that he would have seen enough things that he can't explain that he would just admit that there are things out there that docs can't explain (DUH!!!). He came across as uncomfortable until I said I'd like to some back a year from now for testing so we agreed to that.

I was disappointed I didn't get to hear him say the word CURED but he just wouldn't do it. He did say cancer free so I will take that until the day I force him to say I am cured!!!

My emotions are all over the place as I remember some dear friends I have lost to this monster and watch so many others fighting for their lives. I will take them all with me to Key West in a few weeks to celebrate live and lives @ ColonPalooza 7!!!

For you newbies out there, I was given 2-3 years to live in March 2004 with mets to my liver and left lung. Surgery was not an option so I did chemo for 8 months but stopped it once I felt it was attacking my spirit and soul. I did lots of alternative things and my situation just got better and better over the last few years. I do pinch myself to make sure I really am still alive.

Don't stop believing and as fedester says never give up!!!!

Ironically while we are in Key West, I will celebrate the 5th anniversary of my last chemo treatment!!!! We will send cyber toasts to you all!!!

SEMI-COLONS ROCK!!!

Lisa P.

Comments

• GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    SEMI-COLON CHEERS
    Congratulations. Hugs and as my kids always laugh and tease me thinking its sooooo funny. Party like its 1954!!!LOL

Happy Day!!! Stage IV colon cancer suvivor 11 years Goofyladie (Cass)
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member

SEMI-COLON CHEERS
    Congratulations. Hugs and as my kids always laugh and tease me thinking its sooooo funny. Party like its 1954!!!LOL

Happy Day!!! Stage IV colon cancer suvivor 11 years Goofyladie (Cass)

Cass I was born in 1954!!!!
    How ironic!!! I love that I hit my 5 year mark in the year of my 55th year on this earth.

11 years girl!!!! That is amazing and thank you so much for being here to cheer everyone on.
  • Muzzy
    Muzzy Member Posts: 175 Member
    Thank you
    Outstanding this is great news!!
    Thank you for sharing a story of hope.
    It gives the rest of us hope.
    Congrads, don't be shy go ahead and do the happy dance!!!

Jeff
    Just happy to be here!!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Awesome
    That is just wonderful. I am glad to hear that you are doing so well. You keep up the great spirit as I know that contributes to it.

WooHoooo

Kim
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Muzzy said:

Thank you
    Outstanding this is great news!!
    Thank you for sharing a story of hope.
    It gives the rest of us hope.
    Congrads, don't be shy go ahead and do the happy dance!!!

Jeff
    Just happy to be here!!

Scouty.........
    Just for the short time I have spent on here it seems that when I got here you were everywhere in here like a teacher after school kids, giving advice, showing the way for all who lended an ear, countless hours of posts to patients scared to death just to calm them down, and then I scan other threads in here and other cancer places in here and there you are again, giving all types of support for the masses, emotional, medicinal, or just plain ole "hold it and I will cry with you" support. I have yet to see another (although there are many great ones on here) individual with more unselfish support to others than you give, even when it seemed hopeless. You are the top of the mountain in my eyes and cancer patients,caregivers, and families have been blessed for your presence in here and the support that you have bestowed upon them......simple congratulations just doesn't seem enough to someone that has devoted so much to the patients and partners of cancer...Your NEDness is a just reward for such a remarkable individual...........congratulations again, it is certainly well deserved........Bless you, Clift
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Heroine
    Lisa,

You are my heroine. As Buzzard said your posts have been very supportive of others on the board. When I was first diagnosed I went back many years reading posts and your story gave me hope then when I needed it so, and continues to give me hope today.

Congratulations to you!!
    Amy
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Woohoo!!!
    Lisa,

Your recovery is nothing short of a miracle! I love to read stories like that!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • GOOFYLADIE
    GOOFYLADIE Member Posts: 232 Member
    scouty said:

Cass I was born in 1954!!!!
    How ironic!!! I love that I hit my 5 year mark in the year of my 55th year on this earth.

11 years girl!!!! That is amazing and thank you so much for being here to cheer everyone on.

Oh how funny!!!!
    Well, we know that you were too young, being just born to know exactly what they were partying like in 1954!!!!LOL I am sure the stories history could tell. I am so glad to hear such awesome news, we don't get to hear it enough!!! Hugs
    Cass
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    tootsie1 said:

Woohoo!!!
    Lisa,

Your recovery is nothing short of a miracle! I love to read stories like that!

*hugs*
    Gail

Thanks!
    Your story gives hope to us all, I been feeling so doubtful lately, that I have to turn here and glad to see a veteran of the board, who been here awhile come and still support us. Most have gone it seems, and it's sad not hearing from the others anymore, when we need them too, but life goes on for all, I miss everyone, and hope everyone is ok and happy who used to post here as well, but there old posts still give hope to all, and I just hope to be able to be here to watch my kids grow, thanks so much for the inspiring post!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Lisa - U rock!
    Lisa,
    Thank you so much for sharing with us. You are an inspiration! I love your gentle spirit and the way you encourage everyone on this board.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Rock On!
    Lisa,

Congratulations on another milestone! You continue to be an inspiration to those of us on the journey!

Please bring my greetings to the Colonpalooza crowd. I would love to be there. My folks will be in St. Augustine as of mid-October. It would have been nice to have planned a combined visit. But alas!!

Be well... Rob; in Van
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    YOU GO GIRL!
    Lisa I am soooooo proud of you! What you have accomplished is no less than amazing and I look forward to the next five years with you! Even when your doctor tells you you're cured it's hard to receive that anyway......

I hope you do some awesome celebrating in Key West (wink wink) embracing your NEDness!

I think of you every time I put cabbage in my juicer (which is every day).

KEEP JUICING GIRLFRIEND!!

peace, emily
  • AceSFO
    AceSFO Member Posts: 229
    What Great News!!!
    Hi, Lisa!

It makes my hair stand up reading your post! I'm SO happy for you!! We'll be drinking a toast to your continued good health here in California!! Have a great time in Key West!

warmly,
    Adrian
  • heatherstar70
    heatherstar70 Member Posts: 39
    so happy for you
    i am so overjoyed for you right now... to have something like this be cured is truly a miracle.. and a blessing congrats.. and enjoy your life every sec is so precious..
    i no i lost my mom in Aug but her favorite place in the whole world was key west.. it was her Lil piece of heaven... take lots of pics and enjoy your self... what the heck if you are brave enough go get body painted... go wild in the key

i am so happy for you and i don't even know you but this place gives me comfort and i have found a few friends

hugs
    Heather
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    You rock!
    Lisa,

You rock! I remember 'meeting' you, so many years ago....Thank you for being such an importance presence on my path -- you have been an inspiration, and a great friend.

I can understand some mixed emotions as you go through this momentous landmark. I hope that, as it soaks in, you will take more and more deep pleasure. Our friends who have passed would certainly be wanting you to.

Sorry I won't be with you in Key West -- but I will in spirit!

love,
    Tara
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Hi Lisa,

Hi Lisa,
    Hugs darlin. Hey If you want to hold your doc down ,I'll beat the cured out of him. You ,Cass ,Emily,Stacey ect ect are better than medicine ,you inspire hope where none exists. Best of luck for the future,Ron.
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    ron50 said:

Hi Lisa,

Hi Lisa,
    Hugs darlin. Hey If you want to hold your doc down ,I'll beat the cured out of him. You ,Cass ,Emily,Stacey ect ect are better than medicine ,you inspire hope where none exists. Best of luck for the future,Ron.

You deserve it!!!
    Congratulations Lisa.
    You have worked so hard at healing your body and your mind and have continued to give back to us here. I am very grateful that you have shared your story and encouragement with me. On Sunday it will be 2 years (Stage IV) for me - that was my first milestone to get to then look out 5 years- Here I come.

Celebrating with you in mind and spirit my friend.

Smiles,
    Dawn
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    WOW!!!
    5 years!!I am so happy for you Lisa,yours is an incredible story of survivorship, you bring so much needed HOPE to this board... can't wait to give you a hug at Key West.
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    Inspiration
    Congrats! They should post your story for all Stage IV and doubters out there. Now go celebrate.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Lisa P. :)
    Mornin' Lisa

Let me be the next in line to say CONGRATULATIONS on a monumental achievement! You reached out and grabbed the "brass ring" that everybody wants to hold!

5 years is the timeline we all aspire too and no matter what your doctor told you, I think you know yourself that you have already beaten the odds and whether he says, remission, NED or cured - you know that you already are that...I tip my hat to your accomplishment.

I've read all about SCOUTY, the Legend. I've heard from the vets on the board about your stories and how well regarded that you are here...and I think it's great that you stay in touch just to shine the light and let everybody know that good things can and do still happen. So, thank you for that.

Hopefully, we'll touch base on a post or something - it's nice to meet you BTW.

Have the best of times in FL - sounds like it will be wonderful :)

Continued health for you!

-Craig