Stage IV - recurrance in liver

Mouse88
Mouse88 Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone. I am new to this board. I was diagnosed in Oct 2007 and had surgery in late Feb 2008 after some chemo and radiation. Second surgery in April to remove lung met. Then a little more chemo. Third surgery Sept 9, 2009 to remove liver met. Now my oncologist wants me to undergo 6 more months of chemo. Has anyone had the 6 month course? I really don't want to do the chemo thing again!! Does anyone know of a different type of treatment than chemo that is promising?

Comments

• Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    hi
    welcome to the board mouse88 l really do not have much advice to offer as l have not been in your situation.but lam sure some of our experienced members will be along to pass on some wise advice.hope you get your situation resolved with or without chemo you are in my thoughts &prayers hugs sonia
  • robinvan
    robinvan Member Posts: 1,012
    Bummer!
    Sorry to hear about your cancer progressing. It sounds like it has been a steady dose of chemo, radiation and surgery for you for the last 2 years.

Well, off the top... it is great that they are able to do a liver resection. It is the best approach to clearing the liver of mets. Further to that... my hunch is that chemo is pretty standard after liver surgery. I had 6 months chemo after my colon amd liver surgeries in the fall of 2004.

Good luck... Rob; in Van
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    robinvan said:

Bummer!
    Sorry to hear about your cancer progressing. It sounds like it has been a steady dose of chemo, radiation and surgery for you for the last 2 years.

Well, off the top... it is great that they are able to do a liver resection. It is the best approach to clearing the liver of mets. Further to that... my hunch is that chemo is pretty standard after liver surgery. I had 6 months chemo after my colon amd liver surgeries in the fall of 2004.

Good luck... Rob; in Van

So Sorry....
    ... to hear you have to do more chemo, but I would have no idea what else they'd be able to do, to me, if they told me I had to do 6 more months, then I would, I hope the best for you, I know chemo sucks, but if it keeps you alive, it's worth it!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Chemo and more chemo
    Sorry to hear of your recurrence. I have been on various chemo, most of them pretty intense up until the last year or so, for 5 1/2 years. So, while the "chemo thing" isn't a lot of fun it kept me going. I am on a rather reduced schedule now and have a few lung mets that are staying stable.
    Also, I've had 5 operations
    What type of chemo do they want to give you?
    -p
  • snommintj
    snommintj Member Posts: 601
    PhillieG said:

Chemo and more chemo
    Sorry to hear of your recurrence. I have been on various chemo, most of them pretty intense up until the last year or so, for 5 1/2 years. So, while the "chemo thing" isn't a lot of fun it kept me going. I am on a rather reduced schedule now and have a few lung mets that are staying stable.
    -p

Take the chemo
    We have very similar stories. My 2nd liver resection was for a single met in Jan. Infection complications forced a delay in chemo. After a 5 month battle with infection my scans looked clean. I asked for chemo, my doctors said I probably didn't need it since 5 months had past with no recurrence. I buckled and in july my cancer was back in full swing, lung, liver, and lymph. I met with my oncologist today. My situation as gone from optimistic to grim. I wish I had demanded more chemo. You may not need the full six months. Maybe just 3 months but do something.
  • sfmarie
    sfmarie Member Posts: 602
    snommintj said:

Take the chemo
    We have very similar stories. My 2nd liver resection was for a single met in Jan. Infection complications forced a delay in chemo. After a 5 month battle with infection my scans looked clean. I asked for chemo, my doctors said I probably didn't need it since 5 months had past with no recurrence. I buckled and in july my cancer was back in full swing, lung, liver, and lymph. I met with my oncologist today. My situation as gone from optimistic to grim. I wish I had demanded more chemo. You may not need the full six months. Maybe just 3 months but do something.

Second taking the chemo
    It can save ypur life! My sister did 4 months, took a break, then it came back in a lymph and new mets in peritoneum. Noone likes chemo, but it works! Hang in there. You can do it!
  • kevinpayne
    kevinpayne Member Posts: 17
    6 months of chemo
    My husband had 6 months of oxlaplatin (sp) and 5fu after his surgery to remove tumor in colon and liver. The chemo was ok for the first 3 months, but the last was a task, but doable. For 1 year following the surgery he had no sign of cancer, but 18 months later he had another tumor in his liver that was surgically removed (no chemo after). His strength is improving although his cea's are rising slowlly, but he is strong and his oncologist is monitoring him closely. Good luck.

debbie
  • Fb489
    Fb489 Member Posts: 69
    stage 4
    I am so sorry, this is a very tough fight, my husband was recently diagnose with colon cancer that has spread to Liver. Your case is a perfect example why my husband is hesitant to do chemo. you went through so much and the cancer keeps recurring.
    This is a nightmare that will never end always having to go for CT scans and waiting for the
    results is nerve recking. may god help us all to enjoy each day.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    The Joy of Chemo
    Unfortunately, too often people are so quick to stop chemo at the first opportunity they get. Chemo suck, no doubt about it but to have the cancer come back must suck even worse. Too often it is too soon and the cancer comes back (or never really was gone).

Choose wisely.
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    PhillieG said:

The Joy of Chemo
    Unfortunately, too often people are so quick to stop chemo at the first opportunity they get. Chemo suck, no doubt about it but to have the cancer come back must suck even worse. Too often it is too soon and the cancer comes back (or never really was gone).

Choose wisely.

Chemo sucks yes, but it is
    Chemo sucks yes, but it is the treatment that is recommended, go for it... Hopefully this will be the last time you have to experience this.. Wishing you all the best.. Petrina
  • butterfly23
    butterfly23 Member Posts: 256
    Hi
    Hi, Take the chemo! Last year I was NED for 2 months and my onc. wanted me to do "maintanence chemo" for 6 months. At first, I was bummed out. But then I thought why not. make sure we definately got everything! I also did not have a terrible reaction to my chemo, I did 12 rounds of 5fu. I wish you the best of luck!
    Karyn
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    I did a regpmen of chemo and
    I did a regpmen of chemo and radiation that almost killed me, mostly the chemo til the end when the rad really kicked in. Then I had a colostomy and now I'm looking at 4 more monyhs of chemo for a total of 16 sessions. The five/six earlier were nasty yet somehow I need to survive the next cycle. Its something we need to do as there is no turning back, no return to our prior life/ We just gotta do it to survive!Best of luck, you will overcome the side effects....
  • Holdtight
    Holdtight Member Posts: 151
    robinvan said:

Bummer!

Good luck... Rob; in Van

Liver Mets
    Hi!

I also am receiving Chemo after being diagnosed with Colon and Liver Mets. I had a microwavable ablasion on my liver in July and now am undergoing my 3rd chemo treatment out of 12. What is your experience with Chemo after this type of diagnosis. Did the 6 months of Chemo work for you. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • clier
    clier Member Posts: 29
    6 month chemo
    I just finished a 6 month course of Folfox + Avastin. I went every other week, Wed/Th/Fri, wearing a pump home from the end of Wed treatment until the end of Fri treatment. I did it at Colorado Hemotology & Oncology (Englewood & Sky Ridge). Is that what they're suggesting for you?
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    clier said:

6 month chemo
    I just finished a 6 month course of Folfox + Avastin. I went every other week, Wed/Th/Fri, wearing a pump home from the end of Wed treatment until the end of Fri treatment. I did it at Colorado Hemotology & Oncology (Englewood & Sky Ridge). Is that what they're suggesting for you?

I'm on....
    Same schedule, but different chemo...Folfiri and Avastin for me

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Mouse88
    PhillieG said:

Chemo and more chemo
    -p

Chemo
    Camptosar, Leucovorin, Fluorouracil, and Avastin
  • jillpls
    jillpls Member Posts: 238
    had 12 cycles of folfiri and Avastin
    HI I had 12 rounds, each 3 weeks apart of folfiri and Avastin. It put me into NED and I've there for 10 months. My onc has kept me on Xeloda + Avastin as a maintenance regimen and it's been ok. Good luck and stay positive.
  • Heider
    Heider Member Posts: 24 Member
    chemo rounds
    After my surgery, I had 10 months of chemo. The treatments were on a every other week basis. Each treatment lasted 48 hours. I did quite well. It worked for me. I will be praying you you.
  • grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    Fb489 said:

stage 4
    I am so sorry, this is a very tough fight, my husband was recently diagnose with colon cancer that has spread to Liver. Your case is a perfect example why my husband is hesitant to do chemo. you went through so much and the cancer keeps recurring.
    This is a nightmare that will never end always having to go for CT scans and waiting for the
    results is nerve recking. may god help us all to enjoy each day.

The Fight is Tough
    The fight is tough. My husband has been in it for over six years and is now on Hospice. Those six years were a gift and a blessing. Granted things got hard at times. He had 4 surgeries and went through many chemo treatments and the targeted drugs. Yet in that time a new grandchild was born. We took our older grandchildren on three great trips with us, went to Hawaii for the first time, watched both sons move up in their careers, went to Disneyland with the whole family, bought a motorhome and used it, and learned to treasure every good day. My husband found the fight worth it even though we had pretty much known that he was just buying time. Time can be very precious, but each person must pick their own path. We are still treasuring our time together and with friends and family. Our faith says that God is with us on this journey and has given us several miracles. My prayers continue to be with all those who are dealing with this disease. Fay
  • Mouse88
    clier said:

6 month chemo

Chemo
    Yes that is the cycle I will be on.