Rogue fevers?

GetBusyLivin
GetBusyLivin Member Posts: 25
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Richard has been having random fevers, with increasing frequency over the last couple of months on chemo. They come on suddenly and have gone as high as 102.8. He takes ibuprofen and then it goes away just as quickly as it came on. This happens every few days now. They have done blood cultures and a chest x-ray and have ruled out infection and/or pneumonia. The only explanation the doc has is that "sometimes cancer just causes fevers." Does anyone else experience these rogue fevers? Any advice? It's pretty scary when he gets so hot so quickly.

-AJ

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    fevers
    Hi AJ
    I do know that there is a natural antiviral substance that your body can ONLY produce when you run a fever. A lot of people don't realize this and immediately take aspirin or something to bring the temp down. I can't off the top of my head remember what this chemical your body produces is called, but it is one of the only natural things your body produces to fight off viruses, they have been trying to synthesise this for people with aids. So maybe a slight fever is a good thing, but not so high that it causes damage, I forget but I think it is 104 or over that gets in the danger zone, you will have to ask your doctor about this.
    Pam
  • Muzzy
    Muzzy Member Posts: 175 Member
    it happen to me
    It would happen to me during chemo treatment week.
    I would get really hot.
    I would have to lay down til it blow over.
    I sorry I don't have any solution to it, but sometime there is comfort in knowing that someone else has gone thru it.
    The good news is that it stop after chemo was done.

Jeff
    Just happy to be here.
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Fever
    My husband had fever's like that before he found out he had colon cancer. He hasn't had any fevers now he has had the colon surgery and is on Chemo. It is good they checked for infection. They told us that if he has a fever of 100.4 to go to the hospital and get checked out. Hope it gets better. Paula
  • GetBusyLivin
    Muzzy said:

it happen to me
    It would happen to me during chemo treatment week.
    I would get really hot.
    I would have to lay down til it blow over.
    I sorry I don't have any solution to it, but sometime there is comfort in knowing that someone else has gone thru it.
    The good news is that it stop after chemo was done.

Jeff
    Just happy to be here.

Hi Jeff
    Thanks for responding. When you were "getting really hot" did you actually run a fever, or did you just feel hot? If it was a fever, do you know how high it got? Thanks :)

-AJ
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105
    Fever
    Hi AJ:

When I was first diagnosed with CC I ran really high fevers, like 103 and 104 - one time almost hitting 105. It was scary. After I got on chemotherapy my fevers went down and then disappeared. Now, after two and a half years they come back every now and then. I had fever of 101.8 on Labor Day and for a couple of days after that. I called my doctor's office about it and they ordered a bunch of lab to include blood cultures from my port, but everything came back fine. I took motrin to control it - mine seemd to come on during the day and last until the night. I would take motrin before going to bed. The motrin also seemed to make me feel better as the fever went down. Sometimes I would get a hot feeling, but mainly I had chills with mine, the higher the fever the colder I got. As one of the other people posted to your reply, remember that fever is a symptom and is a natural part of your body's defense system reaction. Another thing I found helpful was to drink some cold electrolyte drink, like G2 water or Gatorade - that seemed to make me feel better. Hope this helps. Take care. Roy.
  • GetBusyLivin
    shrevebud said:

Fever
    Hi AJ:

When I was first diagnosed with CC I ran really high fevers, like 103 and 104 - one time almost hitting 105. It was scary. After I got on chemotherapy my fevers went down and then disappeared. Now, after two and a half years they come back every now and then. I had fever of 101.8 on Labor Day and for a couple of days after that. I called my doctor's office about it and they ordered a bunch of lab to include blood cultures from my port, but everything came back fine. I took motrin to control it - mine seemd to come on during the day and last until the night. I would take motrin before going to bed. The motrin also seemed to make me feel better as the fever went down. Sometimes I would get a hot feeling, but mainly I had chills with mine, the higher the fever the colder I got. As one of the other people posted to your reply, remember that fever is a symptom and is a natural part of your body's defense system reaction. Another thing I found helpful was to drink some cold electrolyte drink, like G2 water or Gatorade - that seemed to make me feel better. Hope this helps. Take care. Roy.

Hi Roy
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it makes me feel better. This is very similar to what Richard is going through. He does have chills too - he usually gets really cold right before the fever starts to come on. He piles on the blankets to try and get warm and then BAM a few minutes later he's got a fever. Since he doesn't have any infection, we're just going to keep believing it's his body's natural defenses kicking some cancer butt!

Thanks again for the advice,
    AJ
  • Muzzy
    Muzzy Member Posts: 175 Member

Hi Jeff
    Thanks for responding. When you were "getting really hot" did you actually run a fever, or did you just feel hot? If it was a fever, do you know how high it got? Thanks :)

-AJ

fever
    I ran a fever. They ran 100 to 102.
    My Doc told me that sometimes that happen and take ibp.
    Jeff
    Just happy to be here
  • shrevebud
    shrevebud Member Posts: 105

Hi Roy
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it makes me feel better. This is very similar to what Richard is going through. He does have chills too - he usually gets really cold right before the fever starts to come on. He piles on the blankets to try and get warm and then BAM a few minutes later he's got a fever. Since he doesn't have any infection, we're just going to keep believing it's his body's natural defenses kicking some cancer butt!

Thanks again for the advice,
    AJ

Fevers
    Hi AJ:

Glad you found this helpful. Hopefully, the fevers will subside on their own after awhile, but in the meantime, just have to do what you have to do to feel better. Take care. Roy