Good Housekeeping Article

mmontero38
mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone. I want to wish a warm welcome to all the newbies and a warm hello to all the oldies. LOL age not a factor. I went to the oncologist and so far so good. I'm scheduled for next month for my cat scan, mamo and chest xray, so you can all understand that my level of anxiety is a little high right now until I get the all clear. Sometimes, I think that this is worse than going through the actual treatment because the waiting is awful. Always the fear of the unknown, the stress of life, etc. But we do have sisters in pink who are long term survivors who inspire us to keep the faith so to speak and to guide us through all our stress levels. Thanks girls, since you and only you know exactly how we all feel on this site.

Anyway, not to ramble, if you read Good Housekeeping, there is a great article in the October issue on page 59. "Who needs Pink Ribbons with a Friend like you?" I was so able to relate to the article, that I wanted you girls to read it. See, I had a friend like that. There wasn't a day that didn't go by that she didn't stop by or call to make sure I was ok. I hope you all have the support of friends or family close by to help you through this journey. I also want the newbies to know that we are all here for you. We may not be there physically but we sure are here in writing for you to support you through this journey. Hugs to all my sisters in pink. Love you, Lili

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Hi Lili!
    Good luck on all your scans next month! I know we will be celebrating good news with you soon. I also have my (first!) yearly mammogram in November and blood work as well. It does make you nervous. But every day is one more healthy day. I love hearing from you!

Mimi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    How funny Lili! I read that
    How funny Lili! I read that very article yesterday! It seemed that she and her friend were so like us here on the boards, except they know each other in person! She was spot on with the whole Pink Ribbon thing...and guess what? My sister actually bought me that PINK stand mixer! LOL LOL

I highly recommend the article as well...generally I avoid reading about or watching on TV anything related to BC ( or any other cancer for that fact) but I had the magazine with me while I was waiting my turn at the DMV. I am really glad that I didn't decide not to read it. A good article, indeed.

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Thanks, Lili!
    Thanks, Lili, for pointing out the GH article. I will look for it.

I'll be thinking of you and waiting for good test results in October. I'm coming up on the anniversary of my diagnosis after a routine mammo, so tests are all in order for me, too, and I'm feeling the anxiety you describe. But, we can celebrate together and for each other in a few weeks. In the meantime, we can enjoy the changing season. Fall is my favorite time of the year. Hope you will enjoy autumn as well, my friend.

Moopy
  • mimivac
    Moopy23 said:

Thanks, Lili!
    Thanks, Lili, for pointing out the GH article. I will look for it.

I'll be thinking of you and waiting for good test results in October. I'm coming up on the anniversary of my diagnosis after a routine mammo, so tests are all in order for me, too, and I'm feeling the anxiety you describe. But, we can celebrate together and for each other in a few weeks. In the meantime, we can enjoy the changing season. Fall is my favorite time of the year. Hope you will enjoy autumn as well, my friend.

Moopy

Moops,
    I think we have the same diagnosis date and the same surgery date! Will be thinking of you as we reach that one year mark. I can't believe it has been a year already!

Mimi
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    mimivac said:

Moops,
    I think we have the same diagnosis date and the same surgery date! Will be thinking of you as we reach that one year mark. I can't believe it has been a year already!

Mimi

A Year Already
    Mimi, I hadn't realized it, but you're right. You got started with chemo earlier since I had to wait longer after the mastectomy. A year already--it is hard to believe. We should celebrate the end of the year from Hell!

Lili, I guess Mimi and I and you will be marking milestones this Fall. We'll manage the anxiety together, and go into the Fall/holiday season with NED in tow. What do you think?
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Moopy23 said:

A Year Already
    Mimi, I hadn't realized it, but you're right. You got started with chemo earlier since I had to wait longer after the mastectomy. A year already--it is hard to believe. We should celebrate the end of the year from Hell!

Lili, I guess Mimi and I and you will be marking milestones this Fall. We'll manage the anxiety together, and go into the Fall/holiday season with NED in tow. What do you think?

I sure hope so Moopy. I
    I sure hope so Moopy. I can't believe how fast time has flown. We will be celebrating together because we will be NED. Hugs, Lili
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Thanks(Lilipod)
    and I will be thinking of you next month!
    I am hoping NED for all of you guys!!
  • mimivac
    Moopy23 said:

A Year Already

Do you remember last New Year's?
    And the whole holiday season? Oh my god. Just diagnosed with cancer and then Thanksgiving was the following week. Recovering from surgery. Simon and I actually went out for a fancy dinner on Thanksgiving. Then Christmas came and I was going through my first round of chemo. We just stayed in. New Year's and going through my second round. We went out to dinner again. All I could think about was cancer, cancer, cancer. Still thinking about it alot, but I really hope this holiday season will be better.

Mimi
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Moopy23 said:

A Year Already

Mimi and Moopy
    My diagnosis was a week before thanksgiving.. when was yours? surgery Dec. 2nd. the rest you know I thinks we will all be having an aniversary together.
    Hugs, Jackie
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Lili
    I will be wishing you the very best with your tests.. I know you are and will continue to be a SURVIVOR!! love ya, jackie
  • BugginWord
    BugginWord Member Posts: 3
    Agreed!
    I LOVED that article. I, too, find it frustrating when cancer gets so sugar coated. The author kept it real AND positive...a gorgeous combination. In comparison, I HATED this article in the NYTimes - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/health/01case.html?_r=1
  • mimivac

Agreed!
    I LOVED that article. I, too, find it frustrating when cancer gets so sugar coated. The author kept it real AND positive...a gorgeous combination. In comparison, I HATED this article in the NYTimes - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/health/01case.html?_r=1

Wow, I loved that NY Times article
    Funny and poignant. I so understand what he's talking about, and it's not chemo brain. It's the reality that a lot of people face after treatments -- that life returns to the mundane and your frustrations for the little things remain. I think that's good news, for the most part. We're still flawed humans who don't always appreciate everything the way we should. I think there's too much false platitude out there, too much unfair pressure on cancer survivors to "cherish every day" and "just be happy to be alive." Well, that's all well and good, and I do usually cherish my moments and I'm infinitely happy to be alive. But don't I also have the right to grouse at traffic and the little things? That makes us human, too.
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    mimivac said:

Wow, I loved that NY Times article
    Funny and poignant. I so understand what he's talking about, and it's not chemo brain. It's the reality that a lot of people face after treatments -- that life returns to the mundane and your frustrations for the little things remain. I think that's good news, for the most part. We're still flawed humans who don't always appreciate everything the way we should. I think there's too much false platitude out there, too much unfair pressure on cancer survivors to "cherish every day" and "just be happy to be alive." Well, that's all well and good, and I do usually cherish my moments and I'm infinitely happy to be alive. But don't I also have the right to grouse at traffic and the little things? That makes us human, too.

I loved the NY times article
    I loved the NY times article as well. Sometimes I think the mood I am in at any given moment will dictate my thumbs up or down reaction to things I read and see.

It is often that we who have survived are expected to be forever grateful. About everything. And not bothered by the everyday. Ever. That would be like saying Concentration Camp survivors should never be upset by traffic jams, or finding an empty roll of toilet paper and none within reach, (OMG) or errant children. Or anything else. That being surivors somehow puts us on a plane just a few feet above the rest of society who seem to have come through life unscathed. So far, anyway.

I remember, while I was going through treatment, that not only was I ungrateful, but ANGRY at most everyone not in treatment! This was obviously before I had the "Be Stronger Than, Not Angry At" ephiphany! I hated how they whined over the most mundane things! And the ephiphany was; I was envious of them all. I didn't want to know about cancer! It wasn't that I wanted anyone else to know about cancer, I just know I wish The Beast had never called my name!

I do love sunsets, and good books, and a great glass of wine, and my Reggie~ I can't honestly say that I love any of them more since cancer! Cancer is not a gift~ if it were, I would appreciate having received it, or maybe even think of re-gifting it to someone. Such is not the case!

To the contrary~ having things to whine about which are totally unrelated to cancer actually makes me feel that I have rejoined the human race, and am not "special" because of what I survived, but that I am simply a face in the crowd. And I love that!

Of course, dependng on how the weekend goes, I may have a different view by Monday~ ya never know! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    chenheart said:

I loved the NY times article
    I loved the NY times article as well. Sometimes I think the mood I am in at any given moment will dictate my thumbs up or down reaction to things I read and see.

It is often that we who have survived are expected to be forever grateful. About everything. And not bothered by the everyday. Ever. That would be like saying Concentration Camp survivors should never be upset by traffic jams, or finding an empty roll of toilet paper and none within reach, (OMG) or errant children. Or anything else. That being surivors somehow puts us on a plane just a few feet above the rest of society who seem to have come through life unscathed. So far, anyway.

I remember, while I was going through treatment, that not only was I ungrateful, but ANGRY at most everyone not in treatment! This was obviously before I had the "Be Stronger Than, Not Angry At" ephiphany! I hated how they whined over the most mundane things! And the ephiphany was; I was envious of them all. I didn't want to know about cancer! It wasn't that I wanted anyone else to know about cancer, I just know I wish The Beast had never called my name!

I do love sunsets, and good books, and a great glass of wine, and my Reggie~ I can't honestly say that I love any of them more since cancer! Cancer is not a gift~ if it were, I would appreciate having received it, or maybe even think of re-gifting it to someone. Such is not the case!

To the contrary~ having things to whine about which are totally unrelated to cancer actually makes me feel that I have rejoined the human race, and am not "special" because of what I survived, but that I am simply a face in the crowd. And I love that!

Of course, dependng on how the weekend goes, I may have a different view by Monday~ ya never know! LOL

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Good luck to all with your
    Good luck to all with your scans/mammos this Fall. Wishing the best of results!