Thanks from Katie in Pensacola

Katie in Pensacola
Katie in Pensacola Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
You guys are great, I really appreciate hearing from people that really live with the colostomy. Friends and family tell you "lots of people do it", my response has been, "yeah, but not you". Now that I've heard from so many, my fears are greatly reduced, I will follow the overwhelming advice to speak to the ostomy nurse in advance. I am scheduled for next week, wish me luck and I will update you after. Thanks Again to all!! Katie

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Good luck
    Good luck, Katie! I didn't have a colostomy, so I haven't been able to give you any advice on this, but I'm praying everything goes very smoothly for you.

*hugs*

Gail
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    tootsie1 said:

Good luck
    Good luck, Katie! I didn't have a colostomy, so I haven't been able to give you any advice on this, but I'm praying everything goes very smoothly for you.

*hugs*

Gail

Katie....
    ....You'll be just fine, the ostomy nurses are wonderful, and I hope you adapt and accept your "new friend", I didn't find it so awful, you really get used to it :)

Welcome to the forum as well!! all these new folks, I love meeting people, we are all here for you :)

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    I totally love and
    I totally love and appreciate the ostomy nurses at Mayo. If I am remembering this right, there are 18 fulltime ostomy nurses there!! Of course Mayo would have a lot, but really just that number to me is a sign of just how many people have a colostomy! They are the greatest, most wonderful humans that walk this planet. One of the ones that helped me- I made a comment to her about how sorry I was she had to be the one to care for my poop mess. (I mean really, this is a private thing we all do, and accept for the very young, not something most of us need help with or "share" with another). As I was telling her this, I was standing in the bathroom, she was kneeling in front of me working on showing me how to irrigate or clean out the colon. I was near tears with shame- it wasn't a good scene. Her comment back was first that it really did not bother her in the least and then she said, "you are a teacher right?" (yes, I said, I am) and, "there is no way I could ever, ever do what you do, and isn't it a great thing that you can and do what you love and that I do exactly what I love, and that is being an ostomy nurse."

So yeah, I totally support meeting with an ostomy nurse before surgery, right after surgery and when ever you feel the need. They definitely will address any and all questions, concerns and issues. Use them as one of many caregivers that are there to help and support any and all issues you may have.
  • pamawi
    pamawi Member Posts: 3
    Ostomy Support Groups
    Just wanted to make sure you are aware of the online support for ostomy patients on the websites www.uoaa.org and www.c3life.com.

There is an ostomy support group in the Pensacola area even though it isn't shown on the UOAA website because it isn't affiliated with UOAA. Hopefully it will be soon.

Jim Murray is the leader of the Pensacola group and his email is jimgmurray@cox.net. He can tell you when their meetings are.

Hope this helps!

Pam