Gallbladder Cancer Stage 4

gwc345
gwc345 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2023 in Rare and Other Cancers #1
Hi,

A week ago my mom was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer stage 4. I am looking for survivors. Anyone who knows a survivor. I know the statistics, the doctor has already given us a time frame, and the oncologist has told us to go for "quality of life".

If there are any survivors or if you are having successful treatments I would like to hear from you. What have/are you doing right? Where did/are you getting treatment?

Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Lily50
    Lily50 Member Posts: 209
    Hi,
    I too was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer stage 4 in the fall of 2005. My husband later told me that I was given a short time frame also. Well they were wrong!

I had aggressive chemotherpy for almost a year to shink my turmor so that they could operate on my gallbladder, liver, stomach and removal of lymph nodes. I have a great oncologist in Las Vegas, Nevada and had my surgery at UCLA in California. I completed my chemo in March 2007.

I never lost my HOPE or FAITH and no doctor should ever be allowed to take away your HOPE.

If I can help answer any questions just let me know. It is a hard road but it is worth it. Every day becomes a blessing.
  • dje17
    dje17 Member Posts: 12
    Lily50 said:

Hi,
    I too was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer stage 4 in the fall of 2005. My husband later told me that I was given a short time frame also. Well they were wrong!

I had aggressive chemotherpy for almost a year to shink my turmor so that they could operate on my gallbladder, liver, stomach and removal of lymph nodes. I have a great oncologist in Las Vegas, Nevada and had my surgery at UCLA in California. I completed my chemo in March 2007.

I never lost my HOPE or FAITH and no doctor should ever be allowed to take away your HOPE.

If I can help answer any questions just let me know. It is a hard road but it is worth it. Every day becomes a blessing.

my sister has stage iv
    my sister has stage iv gallbladder cancer I was so happy to see you did well.
    please e-mail what you had to do and keep well
  • gwc345
    gwc345 Member Posts: 2
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

Hi, I would love to speak
    Hi, I would love to speak with you. My mom is on her second round of chemotherapy and it would be great to hear your story.
  • justne
    justne Member Posts: 3
    So happy to hear....
    that you are doing well since your diagnosis in 2005. My mom was also just diagnosed with stage IV gallbladder cancer. They removed her gallbladder 2 weeks ago but they say she has it in many places. Could you please tell me other then your gallbladder where else did you have the cancer. She will be seeing 2 different doctors for treatment recommendations next week. So much is going thru my head I'm not sure if I up or down at times...
  • grant4998
    grant4998 Member Posts: 1
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

I live in LV too. My mother was recently diagnosed with this type of cancer as well. Reading what you wrote brought tears to my eyes. You gave me hope. Thank you.
  • loveourmom
    loveourmom Member Posts: 2
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

My mom was just diagnosed with stage IV GBC also
    Hi. My mom was diagnosed with stage IV gallbladder cancer about 6 hours ago. It is "attached" to the liver and she has extensive lymph node involvement from the neck through the groin. One month ago, we golfed and shopped together all the time. Now the doctors are hinting that chemo won't do much to help her. Searching the Internet didn't give me much hope ... until I found you. Could you please let me know what type of chemo you had and how you tolerated it. Also, did you have a lot of pre-treatment pain? My mom has had severe pelvic pain for the last few weeks, which is constant and debilitating. Her oncologists gave her oxycotin (sp??), which will probably only debilitate her more. I know she doesn't want to suffer through chemo if she's only got a month or two left (nor do we want her to suffer needlessly either), but you don't know about effectiveness until you try; right? Would you be able to give me more details about your incredible survivor story? These details will help us with this life-altering decision. Also, I would love to hear more from the other posters on this site about what worked for them and what didn't; what kind of chemo they're trying; any side effects; and basically anything else that could help with pain management, nutrition and overall survival. Thank you for your encouraging story and for (hopefully) getting back to me. Kathleen
  • loveourmom
    loveourmom Member Posts: 2
    Your mom
    Hi. I'm wondering how your mom is doing and whether you received any additional information about treatment and what people are and aren't doing to medically deal with this horrific disease. I hope your Mom is doing well. Thank you.
  • Lily50

Your mom
    Hi. I'm wondering how your mom is doing and whether you received any additional information about treatment and what people are and aren't doing to medically deal with this horrific disease. I hope your Mom is doing well. Thank you.

Moms, sisters, loved ones
    Hello,
    To all readers and posters to this discussion board, if you would like add me as a friend and we can talk via the CSN Email or if you prefer send me your Internet Email address and I will respond. View my profile and ask me anything you want. You all have my support and prayers through this difficult time.
    Lily
  • isellabrate
    isellabrate Member Posts: 2
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

Gallbladder Cancer
    Hi, Lily,

Thank you so much for offering your words of hope. I have stage IV metastatic gallbladder cancer. I am only 64, and lost my husband to cancer less than 8 months ago. After removing my gallbladder and discovering the cancer, I had an exploratory surgery where they tried to resent the liver and remove the tumors. They were not able to do so, since the cancer had metastitized.

My oncologist wants to use weekly Gemzar to try to shrink the tumors. May I ask what your chemo was?

Jan
  • FlDino
    FlDino Member Posts: 11
    Wife with gallbladder cancer
    She went into the hospital with excruciating back pain and was jaundiced. After 2 and a half weeks they decide to remove the gallbladder, after one doctor said she had cancer and another didn't. She did, and it has apparently gone throughout her body. She has swelled up in her abdomen and her legs are now swollen, mostly for lying in bed so long. There's so many doctors and they all say different things. One wants to drain the fluid, another doesn't. After all this she is now on a respirator...for the 3rd time. It isn't good. Someone today said she has a 3 percent chance. What does that mean? For how long?

At this point we (she and I) just want her strong enough to come home. She wants to go at home, not in the hospital.

I'm hoping she makes it to even try chemo to put some quality back and extend for however long, even if for a few weeks.

It's good to hear some beat the "time frame". It does give a glimmer of hope but not much in my case.

Anyone try supplements? I read mega doses of D-3 help greatly and heard this morning that Selenium and Turmeric have actually beaten cancer.
  • finbar
    finbar Member Posts: 26
    gallbladder cancer
    My wife had this rare cancer. We learned lots but too late. The most important thing: the first treatment is the most important, called 'first line'. Thereafter the body becomes more resistent. Yes I have a friend that is doing very well after rejections from several major treament centers. She is on her third year and is fully active. Her doctor is George Fisher at Stanford. Need any further info, you can contact me at alb212@gmail.com
  • klnh0126
    klnh0126 Member Posts: 13
    justne said:

So happy to hear....
    that you are doing well since your diagnosis in 2005. My mom was also just diagnosed with stage IV gallbladder cancer. They removed her gallbladder 2 weeks ago but they say she has it in many places. Could you please tell me other then your gallbladder where else did you have the cancer. She will be seeing 2 different doctors for treatment recommendations next week. So much is going thru my head I'm not sure if I up or down at times...

My mom has Gallbladder Cancer also
    My Mom was also recently diagnosed with Gallbladder cancer. They tried to do a resection but found it has spread to the abdomen wall and did not continue with the operation. They are calling it stage IV. She is scheduled to start aggressive Chemo on Dec. 3rd at the Cleveland Clinic. The Chemo they are using is Gymzar and Oxaliplatin every 2 weeks. What are they doing for your mom? How is she doing with the treatments?
  • fik2010
    fik2010 Member Posts: 7
    mom with stage 4 gallbladder cancer
    Yesterday my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 gall bladder cancer pretty much the doctor told us it will take a miracle for her to get through this.the cancer has spread to her liver colon and pelvic bone. we want to give her some hope.I printed out a story and read it to her to give her some hope .how far was your cancer or where did it spead is can you let me know anything that might help us help her .you can email me at foklak@msn.com
  • jakesman
    jakesman Member Posts: 33
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

Eff yeah!
    You go, Lily50. You kick that cancer right in the bleeping behind
  • klnh0126
    klnh0126 Member Posts: 13
    fik2010 said:

mom with stage 4 gallbladder cancer
    Yesterday my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 gall bladder cancer pretty much the doctor told us it will take a miracle for her to get through this.the cancer has spread to her liver colon and pelvic bone. we want to give her some hope.I printed out a story and read it to her to give her some hope .how far was your cancer or where did it spead is can you let me know anything that might help us help her .you can email me at foklak@msn.com

Mom with gallbladder cancer also
    fik2010 My mom was diagnosed with stage IV gallbladder cancer also back on Oct 21rst. She was told she is not a surgical candidate because it had spread to her abdomen. Did they take your mom's gallbladder out? Are they offering Chemo as a treatment? My mom started chemo in early December and has had 4 rounds. She is on Gemzar and Oxaliplatin chemo drugs. She has been handling it pretty well although they did decrease the dose last round due to the side effects. I am sorry for your mom's diagnosis as I know it is devastating to say the least especially since we had no signs or warnings. Her gallbladder was full of stones and had to be removed which we thought was routine until the path report came back.
  • fik2010
    Lily50 said:

Moms, sisters, loved ones
    Hello,
    To all readers and posters to this discussion board, if you would like add me as a friend and we can talk via the CSN Email or if you prefer send me your Internet Email address and I will respond. View my profile and ask me anything you want. You all have my support and prayers through this difficult time.
    Lily

my mom with cancer TO LILY 50
    MY MOM WAS DIAGNOSED WITH GALLBLADDER CANCER STAGE 4 PLEASE EMAIL ME I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU AND FIND OUT WHAT YOU DID THANK YOU
  • fik2010
    klnh0126 said:

Mom with gallbladder cancer also
    fik2010 My mom was diagnosed with stage IV gallbladder cancer also back on Oct 21rst. She was told she is not a surgical candidate because it had spread to her abdomen. Did they take your mom's gallbladder out? Are they offering Chemo as a treatment? My mom started chemo in early December and has had 4 rounds. She is on Gemzar and Oxaliplatin chemo drugs. She has been handling it pretty well although they did decrease the dose last round due to the side effects. I am sorry for your mom's diagnosis as I know it is devastating to say the least especially since we had no signs or warnings. Her gallbladder was full of stones and had to be removed which we thought was routine until the path report came back.

mom with gallbladder cancer
    KLNHO126 My mom is not a candidate for surgery and no they did not take her gallbladder out.They are offering chemo but said if the chemo works it can increase her life by 1.5 years and if it does not work then she has 6 months but my mom is very strong person so we are praying she beats the odds.I am very sorry to hear about your mom and will keep her in my prayers.thank you for your information.
  • Emma4
    Emma4 Member Posts: 1
    fik2010 said:

mom with gallbladder cancer
    KLNHO126 My mom is not a candidate for surgery and no they did not take her gallbladder out.They are offering chemo but said if the chemo works it can increase her life by 1.5 years and if it does not work then she has 6 months but my mom is very strong person so we are praying she beats the odds.I am very sorry to hear about your mom and will keep her in my prayers.thank you for your information.

Dad with gallbladder cancer
    My heart goes out to all of you family and friends and also the victims of this horrible cancer. My dad was diagnosed with stage4 gallbladder cancer 1 month ago. It is heart breaking to watch this once, active man, turn into a shell of pain and sickness. Like most of your loved ones, he is not a candidate for chemo. My question to all of you is how was the patient's pain and nausea during the last difficult times. For us, my dad has been in severe pain(with pain medication barely helping) and unexplained nausea. He is back in the hospital because he has been unable to hold food or liquid down for 4 days. This is a constant problem for him now and getting worse all the time. I have researched side effects of this cancer in its last stage but have not been able to find any. You all are in my prayers.
  • Lily50
    Emma4 said:

Dad with gallbladder cancer
    My heart goes out to all of you family and friends and also the victims of this horrible cancer. My dad was diagnosed with stage4 gallbladder cancer 1 month ago. It is heart breaking to watch this once, active man, turn into a shell of pain and sickness. Like most of your loved ones, he is not a candidate for chemo. My question to all of you is how was the patient's pain and nausea during the last difficult times. For us, my dad has been in severe pain(with pain medication barely helping) and unexplained nausea. He is back in the hospital because he has been unable to hold food or liquid down for 4 days. This is a constant problem for him now and getting worse all the time. I have researched side effects of this cancer in its last stage but have not been able to find any. You all are in my prayers.

Your Dad
    My heart goes out to you for the difficulty in dealing with this disease. I have a question for you, since he was just diagnosed recently have you gotten a second,third,fourth,etc opinion? No two doctors ever say the same thing. There are many treatment centers out there who are willing to go the extra mile if you are willing to travel down this hard road. This type of cancer is very aggressive and it is right up there with pancreatic cancer. There isn't alot of information out there because most people were in the advanced stages when diagnosed including myself. It can cause severe pain and nausea that you wouldn't think possible. I hope that your Dad is able to have the hospital stablize him so that he can explore some options. There is hope and treatment out there you just have to find it. I'll pray for him.
  • KatieDeBakey
    KatieDeBakey Member Posts: 2
    Lily50 said:

Hi,

My Dear Mother...
    This is my first post. Or so I think. Not sure how to use this. My mother has been diagnosed with stage IV gall bladder cancer and just started undergoing chemo a few days ago. If she does do well, do you think we could have her gall bladder taken out? I could give her half of my liver and a kidney if she needs one, my sister could give her another kidney. And I saw a clinical trial about zapping spinal tumors with radiation and chemo to get rid of them. She could also have the affected lymph nodes removed and that would just leave her with a little bit of pancreatic cancer. Just a small spot. I know this sounds WAAAAY out there but, if you or anyone has heard of success with this, PLEASE let me know and direct us to the right people. If not, I will let you know what I find out so at least some progress can be made with this horrible cancer. It's great to meet you all. I wish it were under better circumstances.