injured during surgery

injuredbyDaVinci
injuredbyDaVinci Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I'm just courious. Has any one other than me been injured while under going the removal of there prostrate gland. I had the DaVinci procedure done on june 15th and my urologist poked a hole in my rectum. As a result, I have an ostomy bag attached to my belly until Nov. Or Dec.. I also have a cathether in me that I also have to keep in me just as long. Does any one know of someone esle this has happened to.

Comments

• WHW
    WHW Member Posts: 189
    Where is Your Surgeon Located
    I am sorry that I can't personally respond to your situation from experience.

However, since I am scheduled for surgery next week on the 17th, I would sure like to know where your surgeon is located.

I don't need his name, maybe you can just tell me the city.

Sonny
  • WHW said:

Where is Your Surgeon Located
    I am sorry that I can't personally respond to your situation from experience.

However, since I am scheduled for surgery next week on the 17th, I would sure like to know where your surgeon is located.

I don't need his name, maybe you can just tell me the city.

Sonny

Doctors name
    Dear Sonny,
    I'm not going to name names. I live in the metro St. Louis area. My dr. is about 48 years old and has alot of experience doing surgery. I ask him if this has ever happened before and he said I was the first. Aren't I lucky. I hired one of the best att. in Stl. Is there going to be a lawsuit. You bet your ****. As soon as I get healed up.
  • novaguy
    novaguy Member Posts: 76
    Wow, that's terrible. I'm
    Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with those tubes for several months. I looked around the web and find that this type of injury is pretty rare, I saw 0.6% in one study, but that's for all rectal injuries. I assume an injury requiring an ostomy has much lower rate. These statistics go our the window when you're the one guy it happens to. I hope you have a full recovery.
  • finbar
    finbar Member Posts: 26
    Injured
    And there U have it! Very few of us do the necessary research and make the
    necessary inquiries about seeking an experienced robotic surgeon. One key is the number of surgeries performed. When I went on this message board a month go and described a 'perfect'surgery, NO ONE asked who my surgeon was. A lack of critical inquiry may lead to future problems.
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    So Sorry to read about your
    So Sorry to read about your injury from surgery. I have read it's a very complex surgery since the prostate sets next to the rectum and under the bladder.

I wish you well as you continue to heal.

Larry
  • novaguy said:

Wow, that's terrible. I'm sorry you have to deal with those tubes for several months. I looked around the web and find that this type of injury is pretty rare, I saw 0.6% in one study, but that's for all rectal injuries. I assume an injury requiring an ostomy has much lower rate. These statistics go our the window when you're the one guy it happens to. I hope you have a full recovery.

Sorry me
    Dear Novaguy,
    I don't want you to think I'm some kind of a cry baby. I was told that there would be a 36 to 48 hours spent in the hospital after surgery. I ended up spending two weeks in the hospital. They said I damned near died. I spent 5 days in ICU which was pure hell. I can't begin to tell you all the problems I have had since prostrate surgery. As you can tell, I had the DaVinci procedure. I thought I had a good doctor. He had done all kinds of surgery's before me. I have been turned over to a colo rectal specialest. He said 2009 is not going to be a good year for me. He said time is on my side. I have alot of that since I am retired. I will be 65 on my next b-day. Thanks for the reply.
  • finbar said:

Injured
    And there U have it! Very few of us do the necessary research and make the
    necessary inquiries about seeking an experienced robotic surgeon. One key is the number of surgeries performed. When I went on this message board a month go and described a 'perfect'surgery, NO ONE asked who my surgeon was. A lack of critical inquiry may lead to future problems.

ACS
    Dear Finbar,
    While in the hospital I recieved a brochure from the American Cancer Society.I didn't do alot of research on the DaVinci machine. But this booklet I got from the ACS says " the images are lager than life, allowing the surgery to be extremely precise. The magnified images also allow the surgern avoid damaging the delicate structutes and nerves surrounding the prostste." This robot is no more accurate than the person controlling it. Thanks for the reply
  • dopplerjockey
    dopplerjockey Member Posts: 39
    Amazing
    Injured,
    So very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have not heard of that happening from members of this dicussion board, but I can understand how it could happen. Which case of the day were you for that particular surgeon. I was the second case of the day, but would have rather been the first case. Kind of like not buying an American auto manufactured on Monday or Friday !!. We sure hope you get healed up soon and that the legal matters that lie ahead will at least help resolve the pain and suffering.
    Best of Luck
    Dallas
  • saoco
    saoco Member Posts: 43
    I am sorry and hope you get
    I am sorry and hope you get better soon,that is not suppose to hapen with all this technology
    but it happen.I really hope you get better soon it is bad enough you have pc,then this injury.
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214

ACS
    Dear Finbar,
    While in the hospital I recieved a brochure from the American Cancer Society.I didn't do alot of research on the DaVinci machine. But this booklet I got from the ACS says " the images are lager than life, allowing the surgery to be extremely precise. The magnified images also allow the surgern avoid damaging the delicate structutes and nerves surrounding the prostste." This robot is no more accurate than the person controlling it. Thanks for the reply

peace to you
    I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I am now 7 days post, 52 yrs old and catheter out today. Please keep us posted on your outcome. Adding you to my prayers......Nick
  • novaguy said:

information
    Dear novaguy,
    Where did you look to find the percent of prostrate surgery's that go wrong. I would like to check this out for myself. I read in one guys post that his surgery took 3 and 1/2 hours. Mine took 6 and 1/2 hours. What makes me mad is the fact that when I went for pre-op's I gave two units of blood in case there was a problem and the doc could give me open surgery instead of the DaVinci. And he did not give me open surgery when he saw there was going to be a problem. I sure wish he had went that route. That would be a piece of cake compared to what I'm going through. Any body out there that is complaining about there cath in too long, just think of me. They tell me I'll be lucky to have mine out by Xmas. I had this done June 15th. This doctor shure screwed up 6 months of my life.
  • saoco said:

I am sorry and hope you get
    I am sorry and hope you get better soon,that is not suppose to hapen with all this technology
    but it happen.I really hope you get better soon it is bad enough you have pc,then this injury.

path report
    Dear saoco,

About the only good news I have had since my surgery is that the pathologist report came back negitive. At least for all the bs I have to put up with, I am cancer free, thank goodness.
  • novaguy
    novaguy Member Posts: 76

Sorry me
    Dear Novaguy,
    I don't want you to think I'm some kind of a cry baby. I was told that there would be a 36 to 48 hours spent in the hospital after surgery. I ended up spending two weeks in the hospital. They said I damned near died. I spent 5 days in ICU which was pure hell. I can't begin to tell you all the problems I have had since prostrate surgery. As you can tell, I had the DaVinci procedure. I thought I had a good doctor. He had done all kinds of surgery's before me. I have been turned over to a colo rectal specialest. He said 2009 is not going to be a good year for me. He said time is on my side. I have alot of that since I am retired. I will be 65 on my next b-day. Thanks for the reply.

I don't think you're a
    I don't think you're a crybaby at all, that's a very serious injury you sustained. Every time I've gone into any surgery they give me a waiver to sign and if I start reading the fine print it's pretty frightening when they list all the things that could happen. I just cross my fingers and hope that none of them happen, since at that point there is little choice. Your case goes to show that yes, really bad things can happen.

About the statistics, I looked again and can't find exactly the site that I mentioned in my other post, but I did find a better one. I don't know if I can put web links here, but I'll try:
    http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S002253470166885X

You can't get the entire paper unless you pay, but the abstract says this study found 2 colonostomies were needed in the 533 prostatectomies they looked at. But I think these are open, not robotic.

Incidence and Management of Rectal Injury Associated With Radical Prostatectomy in a Community Based Urology Practice

The Journal of Urology, Volume 154, Issue 4, Pages 1435-1438
    L. Harpster, F. Rommel, P. Sieber, J. Breslin, V. Agusta, H. Huffnagle, C. Pohl
    Purpose We assessed the use of combination bowel preparation before radical prostatectomy.

Materials and Methods We reviewed 533 radical prostatectomies performed from 1984 to 1994. All patients underwent preoperative combination bowel preparation. The incidence, management and sequelae of rectal injury were determined. The literature addressing the management of rectal injuries was reviewed.

Results Rectal injury occurred in 8 patients (1.5 percent). Injury was recognized intraoperatively and repaired primarily in 6 cases, and repair included colostomy in 2. Injury was recognized postoperatively as recto-urinary fistula in 2 cases and initial management was conservative. No fistula closed with conservative management. There were no pelvic abscesses and no deaths.
  • novaguy said:

I don't think you're a
    I don't think you're a crybaby at all, that's a very serious injury you sustained. Every time I've gone into any surgery they give me a waiver to sign and if I start reading the fine print it's pretty frightening when they list all the things that could happen. I just cross my fingers and hope that none of them happen, since at that point there is little choice. Your case goes to show that yes, really bad things can happen.

About the statistics, I looked again and can't find exactly the site that I mentioned in my other post, but I did find a better one. I don't know if I can put web links here, but I'll try:
    http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S002253470166885X

You can't get the entire paper unless you pay, but the abstract says this study found 2 colonostomies were needed in the 533 prostatectomies they looked at. But I think these are open, not robotic.

Incidence and Management of Rectal Injury Associated With Radical Prostatectomy in a Community Based Urology Practice

The Journal of Urology, Volume 154, Issue 4, Pages 1435-1438
    L. Harpster, F. Rommel, P. Sieber, J. Breslin, V. Agusta, H. Huffnagle, C. Pohl
    Purpose We assessed the use of combination bowel preparation before radical prostatectomy.

Materials and Methods We reviewed 533 radical prostatectomies performed from 1984 to 1994. All patients underwent preoperative combination bowel preparation. The incidence, management and sequelae of rectal injury were determined. The literature addressing the management of rectal injuries was reviewed.

Results Rectal injury occurred in 8 patients (1.5 percent). Injury was recognized intraoperatively and repaired primarily in 6 cases, and repair included colostomy in 2. Injury was recognized postoperatively as recto-urinary fistula in 2 cases and initial management was conservative. No fistula closed with conservative management. There were no pelvic abscesses and no deaths.

Thank You
    Dear novaguy,
    Thanks, I mean really thanks. I need all the ammo I can get since this may go to court some time. I doubt if it will go that far, I did some research on malpractice and it said 90 plus percent of cases are settled out of court. I'll let my att. handle that. I will put all this down via printer of something. In the report I saw the term fistula. That is what I have. It started as a result of the hole being put in my rectum are the lower end of my colon. It is a tunnel or a tissue bridge created from surgery. This is why I have an ostomy bag. I can't use my rear end until I get repaired. I should not complain so much. I know there are alot of people that have had colon cancer and have to live with an ostomy bag the rest of there life. At least mine is reversable. Only thing is , I never should have had mine in the first place.I really have to feel sorry for people who have to live this way. You can't imagine how discusting this thing is. I go to see the colo rec. dr. tomorrow. I'll post what he says when I get home . Thanks again.
  • Amazing
    Injured,
    So very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have not heard of that happening from members of this dicussion board, but I can understand how it could happen. Which case of the day were you for that particular surgeon. I was the second case of the day, but would have rather been the first case. Kind of like not buying an American auto manufactured on Monday or Friday !!. We sure hope you get healed up soon and that the legal matters that lie ahead will at least help resolve the pain and suffering.
    Best of Luck
    Dallas

first up
    Dear dopplerjockey,
    I don't want to guess but i assume you must have had something to do with the weather. I was the first man out of the shoot on june 15th. We had to get up about 3:30 in order to be at the hosp. by 6:00am, with the enama an all. I was schueled for surg. at 7:00am. They finally got started a 8:00am and did not finish until 2:30pm. Six and one half hours later. I don't like to repeat my self, mywife says I'm good at that. I know there are other guys reading these posts. This is the first time I have ever participated in a form like this. I like it. I think from all I have read in just the last few days, every one seems really ligit to me. From other guys reading this, what would you think 6 months taken out of your life would be wirth to you. Just courious. I'm like comfined to our house. My wife and I are very active people. If I was not confined like I am we would golf about five days a week. We are from the mid west and are snow birds, I think you all know what that means. I don't know if we will be able to get away this winter. I have reservations in Fla. I put down a good chunk of change that I stand to lose if we can't go. We used to be winter texans for a few years but my wife didn't like Corpus Christi. Too windy. D-jockey, that ones for you. More later.
  • saoco

path report
    Dear saoco,

About the only good news I have had since my surgery is that the pathologist report came back negitive. At least for all the bs I have to put up with, I am cancer free, thank goodness.

That is realy a very good
    That is realy a very good news,I wish you keep geting good news.
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214

first up
    Dear dopplerjockey,
    I don't want to guess but i assume you must have had something to do with the weather. I was the first man out of the shoot on june 15th. We had to get up about 3:30 in order to be at the hosp. by 6:00am, with the enama an all. I was schueled for surg. at 7:00am. They finally got started a 8:00am and did not finish until 2:30pm. Six and one half hours later. I don't like to repeat my self, mywife says I'm good at that. I know there are other guys reading these posts. This is the first time I have ever participated in a form like this. I like it. I think from all I have read in just the last few days, every one seems really ligit to me. From other guys reading this, what would you think 6 months taken out of your life would be wirth to you. Just courious. I'm like comfined to our house. My wife and I are very active people. If I was not confined like I am we would golf about five days a week. We are from the mid west and are snow birds, I think you all know what that means. I don't know if we will be able to get away this winter. I have reservations in Fla. I put down a good chunk of change that I stand to lose if we can't go. We used to be winter texans for a few years but my wife didn't like Corpus Christi. Too windy. D-jockey, that ones for you. More later.

hate 6 weeks
    Heck i am starting to hate the fact,, but also grateful so far, that I have to be out for 6 weeks. I imagine 6 months would be hell especially since it was so unexpected. I cant imagine what your going through but hope you can find a way to deal with your exasperation and heal yourself. If it matters I was the second surgery my surgeon performed. Peace to you. Nick
  • saoco said:

That is realy a very good
    That is realy a very good news,I wish you keep geting good news.

doctor visit
    Dear saoco,
    Just returned from the colo-rectal doctor. If you remember from my posts you heard me say time was on my side. I failed to say that I have seen him on two other visits. The first time the fistula (hole) was about the size of a dime. Next time it was about the size of a pea. Today it was 1.5cm, which is very small. He told me that it could heal itself, that is what is is hoping for. He said if he has to do surgery it could cause more problems. He wants to see me back in one month. By me having the ostomy bag, my stool detours my rear end and as a result doesn't put any pressure down there and also allows the fistula (hole) to heal. Does that make sence. I'm not the doctor. I sure hope he is correct. There is light at the end of the tunnel but we are not there yet. No one has yet to chime in on what you think 6 months taken out of you life would be worth. I could go on and on telling you what I've been through but I don't want to bore all of you to death. I'll check back latter for more comments. I enjoy this discussion board. It let's me get some things off my chest. As you all can imagine, I was very upset and depressed when I woke up from my emergency surgery three days after having my prostrate surgery.
  • wxman
    wxman Member Posts: 19

doctor visit
    Dear saoco,
    Just returned from the colo-rectal doctor. If you remember from my posts you heard me say time was on my side. I failed to say that I have seen him on two other visits. The first time the fistula (hole) was about the size of a dime. Next time it was about the size of a pea. Today it was 1.5cm, which is very small. He told me that it could heal itself, that is what is is hoping for. He said if he has to do surgery it could cause more problems. He wants to see me back in one month. By me having the ostomy bag, my stool detours my rear end and as a result doesn't put any pressure down there and also allows the fistula (hole) to heal. Does that make sence. I'm not the doctor. I sure hope he is correct. There is light at the end of the tunnel but we are not there yet. No one has yet to chime in on what you think 6 months taken out of you life would be worth. I could go on and on telling you what I've been through but I don't want to bore all of you to death. I'll check back latter for more comments. I enjoy this discussion board. It let's me get some things off my chest. As you all can imagine, I was very upset and depressed when I woke up from my emergency surgery three days after having my prostrate surgery.

Injured,I will be praying
    Injured,

I will be praying for you too. Any surgery that we have I guess has its risks. I am sorry for what you are going though. I know in times of trouble we need to lean on God and count on friends to help comfort us. My sister in law had a cancer surgery in which the ureter was cut and they didn't know until she ran a high fever a few days later. She needed a stent for about two years. She has now completely healed. I am encouraged by your progress and will pray for your complete healing.

God's blessing for healing for you.
  • saoco

doctor visit
    Dear saoco,

We all will be praying for
    We all will be praying for you to get well.