Confused

pokismom
pokismom Member Posts: 153
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm a bit confused, I read everyones posts and I hear a lot of people that have surgery for their met cancer. I feel like my doc is not making that an option and am wondering why?? Someone said he doesnt want to disrupt my quality of life so why put my body through all of that. But, one surgeon I went to see suggested that they feel that people live longer if they can take the cancer out, so WTH?? I feel like people in Hawaii just are living with cancer and just having chemo no surgery?? I talked to someone at the Hoag Cancer Clinic in Orange County, talk about nice people, might get a second opinion there after my biopsy. Hey thanks you guys for all the info, otherwise I may be left in the dark!!!
Donna

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    HI Donna
    I would certainly get a second opinion. I don't understand why they would not operate or at least give you that option. I agree with getting the cancer out of your body. Are you at a major cancer center? Why won't your doc give you the option, did you ask him point blank?
    -phil
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    I think Hawaii is just like
    I think Hawaii is just like other states. If they can find a way to cut out all your cancer, they do, otherwise you go on chemo and hope it shrinks the cancers enough so that operations become possible later. I was operated on at Castle Medical Center by Dr. Noguchi for rectal cancer in Dec. 2005, and I guess he got it all out. But getting a second opinion on the mainland sounds like a good idea (though I didn't do that).

--Greg
  • pokismom
    pokismom Member Posts: 153
    PhillieG said:

HI Donna
    I would certainly get a second opinion. I don't understand why they would not operate or at least give you that option. I agree with getting the cancer out of your body. Are you at a major cancer center? Why won't your doc give you the option, did you ask him point blank?
    -phil

Thanks Phil
    Hey Phil,
    Thanks for the info, I was gonna search you out because you are so knowledgeable, and seemed to have experienced a lot. Appreciate the feedback! My Onc and me seem to be on different planets, it's like I think he thinks I"m reading his mind or something, you know he doesn't say anything just stares.... Did I tell you he thought I was doing great, and didnt even look at my Scan until after he checked me out and then asked me if I had a scan?? I said um that's why I'm here, and then he looked at it, pushed back his chair and said, you have nodules! Switching after my biopsy, he's just too busy for me .
    Donna