Information is Power

willjulia
willjulia Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi,
Three weeks ago my wife, Sarah, was diagnosed with colon cancer, metastacized to liver and lungs (stage 4). Surgery was not an option until tumors are shrunk. She just finished her first round of the Folfox treatment. Yesterday she had a colonoscopy during which the doc tried unsucessfully to remove the large mass that's causing partial blockage (too much bleeding). He thinks he can get the rest of it durng a siegmoidoscopy next week.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I am trying to stay positive (but I'm scared).
Thanks, and take care.
Dan

Comments

• Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Staying positive
    Hi Dan,
    I know how scarey it really is...I had to have surgery on my tumor because it was blocking my entire colon..Then I had 12 treatments of Folfox,and Oxi..I was no picnic but you do it...because you have to....Do you and your wife feel like your doctor is on top of things and do you trust him??? If you have any doubt get a second opinion...If nothing else it will let you know that others agree with what you are doing...It gives a peice of mind..
    Good luck with everything and let your wife know we are here for both of you and are praying for both of you...
    Keep posting here you will find out alot here and everyone here has been there and done that so you are getting first hand info..JULIE
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Hi Dan
    Sorry to hear about your wife. My situation was different but the cancer did spread to my liver and lungs and they were able to shrink things enough to operate. I was on FOLFOX and Avastin for about 6 months. The area of my colon that was affected was minor and not a rush to fix.
    I agree with Julie though about feeling that her Onc is on top of things and that you trust him/her. If not, don't feel obligated to stay with them, get the second opinion as Julie suggested.
    Keep us posted, and hang in there.
    It's scary on both ends of the cancer. One other thing, if you are like me in nervous situations I tend to not hear everything. Don't hesitate to bring a person to act as note taker or now a days there are many mp3 players that have built in voice recorders too. I use one most all of the time. Something like this
    http://www.meritline.com/sandisk-2gb-sansa-clip-1inch-mp3-player-black---p-35546.aspx
    -phil
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    PhillieG said:

Hi Dan
    Sorry to hear about your wife. My situation was different but the cancer did spread to my liver and lungs and they were able to shrink things enough to operate. I was on FOLFOX and Avastin for about 6 months. The area of my colon that was affected was minor and not a rush to fix.
    I agree with Julie though about feeling that her Onc is on top of things and that you trust him/her. If not, don't feel obligated to stay with them, get the second opinion as Julie suggested.
    Keep us posted, and hang in there.
    It's scary on both ends of the cancer. One other thing, if you are like me in nervous situations I tend to not hear everything. Don't hesitate to bring a person to act as note taker or now a days there are many mp3 players that have built in voice recorders too. I use one most all of the time. Something like this
    http://www.meritline.com/sandisk-2gb-sansa-clip-1inch-mp3-player-black---p-35546.aspx
    -phil

sorry I can't offer much
    sorry I can't offer much info, I was a stage 3. However I did do chemo/rad to shrink the tumor before surgery. I want to welcome you to the board. alot of good people and good info here. It has helped me alot and is very supportive..
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Welcome Dan!
    I'm sorry you and your wife are having to go through this, but i'm very glad you've found us! Believe me when i say you'll probably get a lot more helpful information here than from any doctor (i love my oncologist, but he hasn't gone through this). None of our doctors have, and i think it's very difficult for them to answer certain questions. Here, you are bound to always find someone who has gone through what you're experiencing. You'll find also that you can help others through your experience. Such as now, with me!

You mentioned that the doctor tried to remove some of the tumor mass rectally. I've never heard of them doing that, and i'm wondering why they don't do that with me! I have a chronic stricture that causes blockages, and if they can do surgery without splitting my abdomen open, i would jump at the chance. It seems so crazy to me that my doctors aren't suggesting these types of options! Have they offered her radiation to shrink the tumor?

Please tell Sarah i wish the best for her, and for you during this difficult time.

Hugs,
    Krista