A little help PLEASE

Cheryl Z
Cheryl Z Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hubby is on zeloda 3300 mg a day along with radiation 5 days a week and oxyplatin infusion on Wednesdays. He is just starting week 4. It seems as though every time he eats, he goes to the bathroom 5 or 6 times after each meal. He now is afraid to eat because he is always on the bowl. No diahrea (sp?) though. How has everyone handled this problem? Any insight would be appreciated.
Cheryl

Comments

• lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Hi, your hubby is on a
    Hi, your hubby is on a fairly high dose of Xeloda, even higher than the highest I took, although I know of some people who have taken even higher. When I was on my highest dose of 3,000 mg/day, I definitely had bowel upset and had diarhhea almost each time I ate. Even though your husband's frequent bowel movements after meals aren't diarhhea, I'd still tell him to try taking 2 Immodium right before eating. See what happens. Obviously, it would need to be stopped if it constipated him, but perhaps it will slow things down a bit. If that doesn't work, then definitely ask about any prescription meds.

I still have the "urgency" issue, even when it isn't diarhhea- that I'll feel fine and then all of the sudden, I'll feel the "urge" and will need to get to a bathroom within a couple of minutes because I just can't hold it very long when i have that urgency.

Interestingly, I just started acupuncture (which I've discussed on a couple of other threads) and I feel like it's helping. The first two sessions focused more on my joint aches and back aches, and it helped. The last two sessions focused more on chemo side effects, especially with the bowels and the urgency issue. Things have improved, although the jury's still out if it's coincidental or not. My acupunturist told me that some things respond better than other things to it & that gastrointestinal issues and nausea are two of the things that respond very well to it, which is why so many cancer centers now offer it to their patients. In fact, I was told that most cruiseliners now offer acupuncture with a "guarantee" on their treatment for seasicknesses (nausea). I found that very interesting!

Best wishes to you and your husband!
    Lisa
  • Cheryl Z
    lisa42 said:

Hi, your hubby is on a
    Hi, your hubby is on a fairly high dose of Xeloda, even higher than the highest I took, although I know of some people who have taken even higher. When I was on my highest dose of 3,000 mg/day, I definitely had bowel upset and had diarhhea almost each time I ate. Even though your husband's frequent bowel movements after meals aren't diarhhea, I'd still tell him to try taking 2 Immodium right before eating. See what happens. Obviously, it would need to be stopped if it constipated him, but perhaps it will slow things down a bit. If that doesn't work, then definitely ask about any prescription meds.

I still have the "urgency" issue, even when it isn't diarhhea- that I'll feel fine and then all of the sudden, I'll feel the "urge" and will need to get to a bathroom within a couple of minutes because I just can't hold it very long when i have that urgency.

Interestingly, I just started acupuncture (which I've discussed on a couple of other threads) and I feel like it's helping. The first two sessions focused more on my joint aches and back aches, and it helped. The last two sessions focused more on chemo side effects, especially with the bowels and the urgency issue. Things have improved, although the jury's still out if it's coincidental or not. My acupunturist told me that some things respond better than other things to it & that gastrointestinal issues and nausea are two of the things that respond very well to it, which is why so many cancer centers now offer it to their patients. In fact, I was told that most cruiseliners now offer acupuncture with a "guarantee" on their treatment for seasicknesses (nausea). I found that very interesting!

Best wishes to you and your husband!
    Lisa

Thanks for your reply Lisa.
    Thanks for your reply Lisa. We have tried immodium for 2 days now with no relief. He doesn't want to eat at all now for fear of living in the bathroom. I am now trying him on a bland diet just to keep him eating something. We will see how that works out and hopefully on Monday we can get to talk to a dietician.
    Cheryl
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    It will get better. It did for me.
    I had the same problem but I am on Folfox. Yikes. It takes a lot of patience and remembering there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I would rather be going often - than be constipated. It was mentally and physically rough on me going so often but it has improved greatly! Hang in there.
  • Cheryl Z

It will get better. It did for me.
    I had the same problem but I am on Folfox. Yikes. It takes a lot of patience and remembering there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I would rather be going often - than be constipated. It was mentally and physically rough on me going so often but it has improved greatly! Hang in there.

Thanks Lizzy,
    He also was on

Thanks Lizzy,
    He also was on Folfox at first. He did 4 rounds after surgery then switched to Zeloda and radiation together for 6 weeks every day. He still has twelve more treatments of this then he switches back to Folfox. He didn't have as much trouble while only on the Folfox. But then again he wasn't doing radiation then. This is knocking him for a loop and I feel so helpless. All we can do is go one day at a time and take it from there.
    Thanks Again
    Cheryl
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Cheryl Z said:

Thanks Lizzy,
    He also was on

Thanks Lizzy,
    He also was on Folfox at first. He did 4 rounds after surgery then switched to Zeloda and radiation together for 6 weeks every day. He still has twelve more treatments of this then he switches back to Folfox. He didn't have as much trouble while only on the Folfox. But then again he wasn't doing radiation then. This is knocking him for a loop and I feel so helpless. All we can do is go one day at a time and take it from there.
    Thanks Again
    Cheryl

Folfox
    Cheryl, I don't know anything about Xeloda because I did 12 tx's of Folfox and no rads. I had a problem after my 2nd or 3rd with my WBC's dropping and not feeling well but it was not until tx's 10-12 that it got hard. 5-RU constipated me. I had to plan ahead or be in pain. I DO get the urge and need to hurry to the bathroom right away but only after breakfast. It's a very uncomfortable urge. I assume this will 'work itself out' and go away over time. ????

I had my final tx a week ago today and boy am I glad it's over. My onc said the neuropathy can last 6 months to a year.... or never completely go away. At this point, I'll be happy when it's not constant!

I saw your post about not many answering your post. I agree with Phil. I didn't answer earlier because of my inexperience with Xeloda. I hope you understand! Certainly we don't need to answer every post just to answer. That's a waste of your valuable time.

Have a GREAT day,
    Diane Tavegia
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Cheryl - Xeloda Too
    Hi Cheryl

I was taking doses as high as 4000 mgs a day 14 days on / 7 days off. I was doing Folfox at that time too...also Avastin.

It was very hard on my stomach and I would feel nauseous alot of the time even when taking meds. I had alot of issues with elimination as well...but I had for so long I just could not remember what normal was. Even now, I can still get sick right after I eat or sometimes before...just don't know what it is...I had alot of radiation in the early days and the 5fu pump for a 7 days / 24 hour cycles...

Also to note, with a dosage that high on that cycle, keep an eye on the feet as they can become cracked and split and will blister and peel as the toxicity builds up. You can buy some Bag Balm at the drugstore and rub that all over the feet and put socks on to hold in the moisture - it will help - start it early and you may head off early problems. Use it 3x a day, morning, evening, and before bed.

Hope this helps.

-Craig
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    sorry
    sorry, can't help you personally cause I have never been on zeloda or had radiation or had issues after eating with sitting on the bowl. Maybe his doctor or one of the nurses might have some ideas?
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Patteee said:

sorry
    sorry, can't help you personally cause I have never been on zeloda or had radiation or had issues after eating with sitting on the bowl. Maybe his doctor or one of the nurses might have some ideas?

Radiation....
    If I remember correctly the radiation kept me on the bowl...I ended up taking immodium almost constantly and then when it started to fix the problem had to quit to prevent constipation. Then during my chemo treatments it was exactly opposite......get him to try chili...it tastes good when on chemo and if he going to run off at least he will be eating also...It worked very well for me. It overwhelms all of the nasty tastes and nausea that comes along with this journey......Good Luck....Clift
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Chili
    I have a great recipe for homemade chili if you need one. Buzzard is SO RIGHT about the chili! YUM! I can taste it and it'll help clean you out!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Treatment
    I was on Xeloda and radiation at the same time (only doing oxy now, but not with Xeloda and radiation) and I was going to the bathroom constantly. The radiation made me go to the bathroom a lot, but I did try the imodium and it helped a lot, but that is only if you have loose stools. He should not stop eating as he is going to need his strength to get better and keep his bowels regular. He doesn't need to lose any weight either. That is one thing my doctor told me not to do and I kept up the weight like he said. Talk to your doctor about this, they might have another medication for him.

Kim
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    I also tried
    Immodium and it did help me. It slowed things down it seemed.
    There is also the BRAT diet
    Bananas
    Rise
    Apple sauce
    Toast
    Although they are saying it may not be as good as they used to think it was. More infor can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRAT_diet
  • Cheryl Z
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Since I posted my question things have changed. He was now having just the urge to go to the bathroom around 30 times a day but really only went 3 or 4 times and they were regular BM's. He was so tired of being on the bowl all day that he just did not want to eat anything. He lost 6 lbs. in 2 days. Needless to say when we went to radiation on Monday the doctor was not happy. He gave him a prescription for Lomotil that he was to take twice a day. My husband tried that for 2 days which was of no help and when we went back today and spoke with the doctor again, they are having him take 2 Lomotil's twice a day. The doctor feels that this should alleviate the spasms he is having. Hope this works, we are willing to try anything at this point. He only has 9 more radiation treatments left (although I am sure it will feel like 50). When radiation is done, he will also stop the Xeloda. The doctors will give him 4 weeks off for his body to heal a bit and then it is back for 6 more rounds of Folfox. I believe we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Again, thank you to everyone here.
    Cheryl
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Cheryl Z said:

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Since I posted my question things have changed. He was now having just the urge to go to the bathroom around 30 times a day but really only went 3 or 4 times and they were regular BM's. He was so tired of being on the bowl all day that he just did not want to eat anything. He lost 6 lbs. in 2 days. Needless to say when we went to radiation on Monday the doctor was not happy. He gave him a prescription for Lomotil that he was to take twice a day. My husband tried that for 2 days which was of no help and when we went back today and spoke with the doctor again, they are having him take 2 Lomotil's twice a day. The doctor feels that this should alleviate the spasms he is having. Hope this works, we are willing to try anything at this point. He only has 9 more radiation treatments left (although I am sure it will feel like 50). When radiation is done, he will also stop the Xeloda. The doctors will give him 4 weeks off for his body to heal a bit and then it is back for 6 more rounds of Folfox. I believe we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
    Cheryl

Cheryl........
    You should know that whatever your husband needs as far as meds that a cancer patient can almost get anything they need for any type of ailment...If he needs anything simply tell your onc and Im sure he will get it...A lot of the meds that he will use he can get samples for....Emend, ansemet, compazine, Aquaphor (for sore hinneys -radiation burn) make sure that he doesn't suffer through anything. My onc told me that if I had an ailment that he had a cure for it....Then I popped the Cancer question to him....Durned if I don't think he's fixed that problem also. The light at the end of the tunnel was a train for me in the beginning, but the last of April ( last treatment) I saw the caboose go by.....and he'll do the same...Good Luck and Bless you both............Clift
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Cheryl Z said:

Thanks
    Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,I am sorry to hear
    Hi Cheryl,I am sorry to hear that your hubby has to suffer so much.When my hubby was on rediation and chemo(5-fu pump),he started to have a little diarrhea at the fourth week,then we reported to the nurse immidiately,then we were arrange to see a dietian very quicky, the dietian suggested my hubby only eats white bread,rice,banana,fish,chicken,saltine cracker and drink "ensure plus" to control the diarrhea and weight loss.Luckily,my hubby only used some counter diarrhea medicine plus the diet,then his diarrhea was under control,no weight loss.So I suggest you to see a dietian soon.I am hoping everything will be under control for you guys and your hubby can gain some weight back.Good luck.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator