Vacation

kimby
kimby Member Posts: 797
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well, I'm back from my family cruise. What a wonderful trip! We got phenominal rates and had a big garage sale to pay for it. I would sell everything I own to have that experience! We took my 3 sons (the yougest turned 18 while we were gone), the oldest's fiancee, and my mom. We spent 3 days in New Orleans and 5 days on cruise with 2 stops in Mexico. Lots of sun, shopping, comedy shows, and food. My goal was to gain weight while I was gone.....and I did! 5 pounds! WooHoo! In the last 2 years: my mother-in-law died w/funeral on sons 16th birthday, my diagnosis and emergency surgery 4 days later, my sister was diagnosed with MS, my dad was in the hospital (actually, transferred from one to another) for 9 mos and died last summer on my sons 23rd birthday, 21 yr old almost-daughter-in-law had a stroke, 5 surgeries, 2 yrs of chemo 2 full rounds of radiation...we earned this one! We all came back refreshed and happy. And tired! LOL

I am saddened to see that there were several semi-colons lost while I was gone. I am putting it in my will that NO obit can use the phrase "after a long, brave battle with cancer". I hate that phrase. Let's come up with something better! My prayers are with the families.

I'm home for 4 days of radiation, then off to Denver. I can't wait to meet Jennie there and see Jennifer Weir again! I speak (breifly) at the Liver Symposium and then spend several days with a friend in Laramie, WY since it's just a couple of hours away. Crud, then I come home to more rads and chemo! :p

Glad to be back for a few days and I'll try to get caught up with everyone.

Kimby

Comments

• lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    welcome back Kimby!
    How great that you has a wonderful cruise! Congrats to all your family.

I totally agree with your comment about obits that say "after a long, brave battle with cancer".

Laramie WY is just 4 hrs SE of me in Lander. That's spittin' distance in these here parts. Have a great visit.

Leslie
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Wow!
    You definitely DID deserve that cruise! I'm so glad you were able to do it...and enjoy it! I don't know how you're handling the radiation. It just about killed me. Especially the energy it sapped at the time.

I can't believe your daughter-in-law had a stroke so young? So many of us young people are getting elderly illnesses. I have a childhood friend who got a pacemaker at the age of 26!!! She swears it was stress. I sure don't need any convincing! Most of us know all about what stress is capable of!

Welcome back! It's great to see you posting again!

Hugs,
    Krista
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member

Wow!
    You definitely DID deserve that cruise! I'm so glad you were able to do it...and enjoy it! I don't know how you're handling the radiation. It just about killed me. Especially the energy it sapped at the time.

I can't believe your daughter-in-law had a stroke so young? So many of us young people are getting elderly illnesses. I have a childhood friend who got a pacemaker at the age of 26!!! She swears it was stress. I sure don't need any convincing! Most of us know all about what stress is capable of!

Welcome back! It's great to see you posting again!

Hugs,
    Krista

You Were Missed
    Welcome back Kimby. Someone on a different post was asking about you and I told them I thought you were traveling. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time on your cruise and your son was able to enjoy a peace filled birthday. Aren't cruises just great. Yes, you can definitely eat your way to bigger clothes on a cruise. Sounds like you have more enjoyable time coming up too. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

Hugs! Kim
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

You Were Missed
    Welcome back Kimby. Someone on a different post was asking about you and I told them I thought you were traveling. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time on your cruise and your son was able to enjoy a peace filled birthday. Aren't cruises just great. Yes, you can definitely eat your way to bigger clothes on a cruise. Sounds like you have more enjoyable time coming up too. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

Hugs! Kim

Welcome Home
    Good to have you back on....your infinite wisdom has been missed as well as your zest and zeal for life.......again Welcome Home.........
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Buzzard said:

Welcome Home
    Good to have you back on....your infinite wisdom has been missed as well as your zest and zeal for life.......again Welcome Home.........

Hi Kimby
    Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. See you in Denver this week-end!

Jennie
  • amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    Welcome Home
    I am so glad that you are back. I am so thankful that you and your family got to go on this fantastic vacation together. You have been missed but you sure deserved the break. Have a great time in Denver and know that we are all waiting to hear again from you. You have been such a comfort and inspiration to be personally. I thank GOD for you. Hugs and blessings...you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anna
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    amcp said:

Welcome Home
    I am so glad that you are back. I am so thankful that you and your family got to go on this fantastic vacation together. You have been missed but you sure deserved the break. Have a great time in Denver and know that we are all waiting to hear again from you. You have been such a comfort and inspiration to be personally. I thank GOD for you. Hugs and blessings...you are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anna

Glad to hear you had a great
    Glad to hear you had a great time... relaxation is wonderful..
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342

Glad to hear you had a great
    Glad to hear you had a great time... relaxation is wonderful..

Kimby!!
    So good to see you back! you have been missed a great deal. Your vacation sounded fascinating, I'd love to go on a cruise. I know I could definitely use a vacation, that's for sure! Glad you had fun!

Hugsss!
    ~Donna
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    WB!
    That just sounds like a wonderful time, and it was obviously much-needed. I'm sorry you have to come back to more treatments, but you let those lovely memories sustain you during the ugliness.

Glad to have you back!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Glad you are back
    Glad you are back on the boad. You have been missed. So glad you had a wonderful time. You and your family really needed to get away and have some fun it sounds like. Hope the next years will be full of great things and much better news.
    Enjoy your visit with Jennie.
    Also tell your Sis that there are many thing in the works that will soon be available for people with MS. Tell her she can get in touch with me if she wants. I have been around the block with it for 18 years. Have missed you Kimby, Paula G.
  • donnare
    donnare Member Posts: 266
    Glad you're back!
    So glad you had a nice vacation - you certainly did earn it!!

Be well,
    Donna
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Hi kimby,I am glad that you
    Hi kimby,I am glad that you are back and I am happy for you that you and your family had a great vacation and you guys earned it after such a long hard time.I am also very happy for you that you feel refreshing and gained weight!What a good trip!Take care and wish the best to you and Jennie for your coming up Symposium,and hope you will get some new and advanced information.Take care.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Great!
    Hi Kimby,
    You were missed. :) It is just wonderful that your family got to relax, laugh, eat and enjoy each other. That's what it's all about!!
    I look forward to having you back in the discussions.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Thanks, Kimby!
    Thanks for your post. Yes, we did miss you. So glad to hear from you again.
  • jenalynet
    jenalynet Member Posts: 361 Member
    Good time
    I'm really happy that you had a wonderful time on your vacation..You deserved it with all you are going through..and all you have been through...Hugs to you, Audrey.
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Wonderful :)
    Kimby

It does sound wonderful :)

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy yourselves - what a nice break in the action.

Tell Jennie hello for me...thank you so much for your reply to my update post last Sunday. I had waited awhile to hear from you, our paths just had not crossed although I've been reading your posts.

Anway, like you told me, this time I've got all of the semis; along for the journey...I thought about that...and you are right, it is very comforting to know that.

Have a safe trip to Denver ane back...best of luck on your treatments too...you have a great attitude on things.

-Craig