husband diagnosed for 2nd time with brain cancer

kellbell
kellbell Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Brain Cancer #1
Hi I am new online tonight. wuz wondering if anyone out there has been through brain surgery or loved ones that have been through that can shed a little light to me.

Comments

• sue Siwek
    sue Siwek Member Posts: 279
    just hang in there, you have
    just hang in there, you have gone through it once. you didn't mention how long ago his first diagnosis was or what type. things may have changed since then and for the better. survival rates have improved greatly. my husband was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago and is still with us. go to the nearest teaching hospital because you will have the latest treatments and best chance for survival. it will not be pleasant he will no doubt be put on decadron a steroid which is nasty but necessary . decadron causes agitation but it keeps the tumor from growing while he has treatments like radiation. my husbands tumor was in operable so maybe your husband wont have to use it if he has surgery. remember as afraid as you are he is beyond afraid! i would get so mad at him because he was so angry and took it out on me. i had to keep reminding myself that this was just for alittle while, i could do this. i had invested 33 years and four children in our life together and i wasn't giving up without a fight. i have learned so much about myself through all of this. i am smart, creative, tough and when i want or need something i ask for it! do not be intimidated by the medical profession, they work for you. no question or feeling that you have is stupid. good luck
  • sue Siwek
    just hang in there, you have gone through it once. you didn't mention how long ago his first diagnosis was or what type. things may have changed since then and for the better. survival rates have improved greatly. my husband was diagnosed nearly 10 years ago and is still with us. go to the nearest teaching hospital because you will have the latest treatments and best chance for survival. it will not be pleasant he will no doubt be put on decadron a steroid which is nasty but necessary . decadron causes agitation but it keeps the tumor from growing while he has treatments like radiation. my husbands tumor was in operable so maybe your husband wont have to use it if he has surgery. remember as afraid as you are he is beyond afraid! i would get so mad at him because he was so angry and took it out on me. i had to keep reminding myself that this was just for alittle while, i could do this. i had invested 33 years and four children in our life together and i wasn't giving up without a fight. i have learned so much about myself through all of this. i am smart, creative, tough and when i want or need something i ask for it! do not be intimidated by the medical profession, they work for you. no question or feeling that you have is stupid. good luck
  • kellbell
    sue Siwek said:

He was diagnosed 11 years
    He was diagnosed 11 years ago in NOvember of this year. They couldnt operate the first time on him either. Just did a biopsy.. This ttime they did operate and got 98% of the tumor. He has been on decadron since may and just recently got off of it and wut a change. He has neoplasm astrocytoma.
  • kellbell
    My husband was diagnose 11
    My husband was diagnose 11 years ago with neoplasm astrocytoma.. His jsut recently came back and has underwent another surgery. He is doing great today. HE had surgery on June 10 for the second time.. Wut kind are you dealing with.
  • kellbell
    My husband was diagnose 11 years ago with neoplasm astrocytoma.. His jsut recently came back and has underwent another surgery. He is doing great today. HE had surgery on June 10 for the second time.. Wut kind are you dealing with.
  • sue Siwek
    kellbell said:

he had an anaplastic
    he had an anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3, inoperable. he is cancer free now for about 7 years. he also has parkinson's and that is causing him problems as well. he is not the man he was but in many ways he is a better person. this has given us time with one another as well as our children and grandchildren. he has problems, double vision, balance problems, numbness and sometimes confusion. since he is dealing with two unrelated diseases with some of the same symptoms i cannot say which is responsible for what. he fills his days with sudoku and reading on a kindle 2 (a wireless device) you can get it on amazon.com if you are interested. life is not perfect but it is the life we have been dealt. we never ask why we know that the body is a complex bunch of cells and things happen. i will say that we check out every new treatment as well as opinions from other doctors. i strongly believe that a teaching hospital is the best place to be because they are up to date on new treatments.
  • kellbell
    sue Siwek said:

he had an anaplastic
    he had an anaplastic astrocytoma grade 3, inoperable. he is cancer free now for about 7 years. he also has parkinson's and that is causing him problems as well. he is not the man he was but in many ways he is a better person. this has given us time with one another as well as our children and grandchildren. he has problems, double vision, balance problems, numbness and sometimes confusion. since he is dealing with two unrelated diseases with some of the same symptoms i cannot say which is responsible for what. he fills his days with sudoku and reading on a kindle 2 (a wireless device) you can get it on amazon.com if you are interested. life is not perfect but it is the life we have been dealt. we never ask why we know that the body is a complex bunch of cells and things happen. i will say that we check out every new treatment as well as opinions from other doctors. i strongly believe that a teaching hospital is the best place to be because they are up to date on new treatments.

My husbands in an
    My husbands in an anapaplastic astocytoma also. It changed from the first time around. We never do know why we get dealt things in life do we. We just take it as it comes and live everyday to its fullest. You sound like you also have your hands full. I wish you and your family the best of luck.. We are praying for you all. Keep me posted.
  • sue Siwek
    kellbell
    will wait to hear how your outcome is as well, best of luck.