1st scan news back

looch969
looch969 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

Just received my 1st results after 2nd round of chemo. The mass in my right lung has shrunk in height (not in width) but has a cavatiy in the center, I think this means it has a hole in the center, my left lung mass has shrunk from 9.8 to 8.2 PRETTY GOOD I THINK.

This Tuesday I will have my third chemo treatment (I get them once every three weeks). Then I will be marked for Radiation which will start the following Moday (August 10th) I will need 2 weeks everyday on two spots on my center back they are concerned it they grew any I would be paralized because of the spine.

If things go well I wont miss any chemo treatments, I worst would probably set me back one week. I really want to keep the chemo going since it seems to be doing some good.

I have also somehow gotten a sinus infection or head cold, so Im on anti biotics and cough medicine. The coughing is the worst since I have mets to my right ribs it hurts terribly to cough, but I'll get through it!

I have been issued oxygen but only really use it to shower, I guess it has something to do with the heat. I also can walk around the house fine but can't breath when I go outside, anyone else having this problem?

Wishing everyone a good week.

Tamie

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Good news
    Congratulations on the shrinking tumors - the radiation should bring them down even more :)

I don't know where you live, but here in New York it's been pretty hot and extremely humid, so I feel the same way when I go outside (really due to emphysema). I can't stand to feel trapped in the house after work, though, so sometimes I go out for a walk , anyway, me and my inhaler. I wonder if your need for oxygen in the shower could be humidity-related rather than heat?

I hope all continues to go well for you,

Deb
  • Greggriggs
    Greggriggs Member Posts: 132
    Beat it up
    Hi Tamie
    You just keep up the fight
    Wish you all the luck in the world.
    Greg
  • looch969
    looch969 Member Posts: 27

Good news
    Congratulations on the shrinking tumors - the radiation should bring them down even more :)

I don't know where you live, but here in New York it's been pretty hot and extremely humid, so I feel the same way when I go outside (really due to emphysema). I can't stand to feel trapped in the house after work, though, so sometimes I go out for a walk , anyway, me and my inhaler. I wonder if your need for oxygen in the shower could be humidity-related rather than heat?

I hope all continues to go well for you,

Deb

Thanks for responding
    Your probably right about the humidity, I live in Georgia. I can't beleive you can go for a walk..... how long or how many treatments did it take until this was possible? I am going to have my third round of chemo tomorrow and my fist radiation treatment Monday, I have Non Small Cell Lung Cancer both lungs with mets to right rib, shoulder and two spots on my back with is what the radition is for (the back spots) they are afraid of them growing and paralizing me.

Please let me know when the breathing will get better.

P.S. Its fine as long as Im still and not hot....

Thanks

Tamie
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    looch969 said:

Thanks for responding
    Your probably right about the humidity, I live in Georgia. I can't beleive you can go for a walk..... how long or how many treatments did it take until this was possible? I am going to have my third round of chemo tomorrow and my fist radiation treatment Monday, I have Non Small Cell Lung Cancer both lungs with mets to right rib, shoulder and two spots on my back with is what the radition is for (the back spots) they are afraid of them growing and paralizing me.

Please let me know when the breathing will get better.

P.S. Its fine as long as Im still and not hot....

Thanks

Tamie

Breathing
    Tamie, I never had lung surgery beyond the "scoping out" stages - a bronchoscopy and a mediastinoscopy (checking out the lymph nodes). It was decided that surgery wasn't an option for me, both because of the placement of the tumor and because of my emphysema. Now that I've said that, I can't remember if you said you had surgery or not...(edit - no, I see you didn't, which makes my whole first paragraph pointless :P)

99% of my breathing problems are from the emphysema and I manage with several meds - notably Advair, Spiriva, an Albuterol inhaler, and I sometimes use Albuterol in a nebulizer. I'm not on oxygen...yet. I have a hard time with hills and stairs and hot, humid weather, but with my trusty inhaler I cope ok.

I would think that as the tumors continue to shrink your breathing would get better, but maybe you can ask about an inhaler?

-Deb