BACK AFTER SURGERY

DONCARLOS
DONCARLOS Member Posts: 66
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Hi you all: I MADE IT..... Lots of problems but I made it. as you remember I went to Surgery at Rober Wood Johnson on June 30, 2009. Mw petscan had confirmed a mass in my right lung and it had to come off ASAP. The whole thing was taken out and as of this moment it looks good. My doctor calles it GOOD CANCER ????? Carcinoma, and it was there for a long time with very little accitivity. The surgery took 4.5 hours and I was on Critical care for four days until July 4th, when I was released However, while at home, I developed shortness of breath and constant caughing. WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL I DID NOT DO A GOOD JOB IN MY BREATHING EXERCISE, and while I was facing the 4th of July weekend my Doctor had me readmitted on July 7, A.M. LOTS OF FLUID HAD ACCMULATED, and had to be drained WELLLLLLL.....PAIN???? The reintroduction of the chest tube into my chest cavity was the MOST PAINFUL AN UNCONMFORTABLE THING I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. Caughing and pain was unbearable, Fever reached almost 102 at times and my BP went to 184/186 more than once..... My Doctor never left me alone and gave strict orders of NO PAIN....I lasted until Monday July 13 late in the afternoon, when I weas sent home again. All my medications were changed as I had no bowel movement since June 29 (14 days). I met with my doctor who told me that My cancer was CARCINOMA removed and my lymph noids were also worked on as they tested positive but no Chemo necessary at this moment. ON my return I contacted my ONCOLOGYST and I will be meeting with him next Tuesday July 21. AT THIS MOMENT I FEEL GOOD. I AM WALKING ONE MILE A DAY AND TAKING MY PAIN PILL, STOOL SOFTENER AND VERY SELDOM A .5 XNAX IF NEEDED. NO OTHER MEDICATION. May pain is extremely easy and controlable, I am able to caugh without bracing myself, and I am doing my breathing exercises. I have not spoken with my Doctor at length but he tells me PROGNOSIS IS VERY GOOD" YESTERDAY I WAS ABLE TO GET DOWN AND FIX MY TOILET AND PUT IN A NEW MECHANISM WITHOUT ANY HELP, AND I AM DOING SOME WORK AROUND THE HOUSE (MINOR WORK) I will keep you all informed, as my Doctor will return next week and I see my Ocologyst on Tuesday 7-21.

I CAN SINCERELY TELL YOU THAT ALL I HAD WITH ME ALL OF THOSE DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL WAS MY FAITH THAT I WAS GOING TO BEAT THIS MONSTER, and so far I am doing very well for a 77 year old man..... ALL I HAVE TO DO NOW IS KEEP UP WITH MY DOCTOR'S INSTRUCTIONS AND I WILL MAKE IT.........

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Congratulations!
    DonCarlos, that is excellent news! When you get done fixing everything at your house, give me a call and we can arrange for you to come to my house to do a few things :).

Again, congratulations, and thank you for spreading some positive news!

Take care,

Joe
  • looch969
    looch969 Member Posts: 27
    WONDERFUL NEWS!
    Don Carlos,

I am very excited to hear your good news, sorry about the pain but it sounds like it was worth it. I have just complete my second chemo treatment Tuesday, so far so good. I meet with my doctor on July 27th, there is a panel of doctors taking care of me 1/2 wants the chemo stopped and radiation started on two places on my back (their scared of my spine) Im not sure what will happen yet??? If the chemo is working I hate to get off but if the cancer on my back grow it can cause paralysis. I'll let all of you know!

It is so good to hear good news on this web site like you and Adrew's Boston clinical trial, it gives all of us hope.

Take care

Tamie
  • DONCARLOS
    BACK AFTER SURGERY
    Hi Joe: Thanks....will be glad to help. I have a neighbor who had the very same procedure and for the same reasons I had, He had it done last February and although he is still in pain, he is still out there doing his garden his lawn etc. He also has a bad heart and other problems and 14 years younge than I am. I sincerely think that the best attack on this this is to go on living and doing what you always did before and forget about counting how many years you have left.

Thaks for your support. I am looking forward to going back to my office next Monday July 20.
    I am financially depleted and must now go back and rebuild my business with new ideas.

Be well you all....

DonCarlos.
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    DONCARLOS said:

BACK AFTER SURGERY
    Hi Joe: Thanks....will be glad to help. I have a neighbor who had the very same procedure and for the same reasons I had, He had it done last February and although he is still in pain, he is still out there doing his garden his lawn etc. He also has a bad heart and other problems and 14 years younge than I am. I sincerely think that the best attack on this this is to go on living and doing what you always did before and forget about counting how many years you have left.

Thaks for your support. I am looking forward to going back to my office next Monday July 20.
    I am financially depleted and must now go back and rebuild my business with new ideas.

Be well you all....

DonCarlos.

Happy you are doing so well
    Hi DonCarlos, It is so good to hear that you are able to do so much around the house so soon after surgery. As I said in an earlier post, I sincerely believe I would go for surgery instead of chemo and radiation if it were an option for me. I won't go into any details as to how lousy I am feeling from chemo or the burns from the radiation as this note is meant to congratulate you on your success.

Stay strong and keep up your wonderful attitude. You sound like a very strong man who will definitely come out the winner in this battle!!

Take care, Glenna
  • PBJ Austin
    PBJ Austin Member Posts: 347 Member
    DONCARLOS said:

BACK AFTER SURGERY

Be well you all....

DonCarlos.

Love your attitude
    You rock Doncarlos!! Thanks for sharing your story.
  • DONCARLOS
    After Surgery
    Hi Glenna: Love your Dog...I have one that looks like yours.... I will confess that I am stil a little concerned but that is natural. My good star is taht no other part of my system hs any problem. I do have a good heart normal BP and the rest is workiing just fine My only load is my 77 years of age. and my anxiety......
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    DONCARLOS said:

After Surgery
    Hi Glenna: Love your Dog...I have one that looks like yours.... I will confess that I am stil a little concerned but that is natural. My good star is taht no other part of my system hs any problem. I do have a good heart normal BP and the rest is workiing just fine My only load is my 77 years of age. and my anxiety......

77 is not old
    Hi Don, First, I'm happy to hear you love my dog as he is my pride and joy. He can make me smile everyday no matter what's going on in my life - dogs are the best - especially yellow labs. My husband has a black lab who is just the opposite of my dog, he's very laid back and mellow while mine is a holy terror. I have been told by my vet that he will always have the personality and attention span of a 2 year old. I don't care, I love him as he is!!

As I said in the subject line - 77 is not old and as long as your heart and BP are normal you should be fine. Being anxious is understandable but please don't let it consume you. I'm sure that you will see improvements daily or weekly and the more improvements you see the less anxious you will be.

Whenever you start to feel anxious or stressed try to think of happier things or make plans for you next little project around the house. Just keep yourself relaxed!!

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

Glenna
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    DONCARLOS said:

After Surgery

Tell me about anxiety :(
    Hi, DonCarlos - I just want to tell you you can mention to your doctor that you're experiencing anxiety, and he can give you something to help. I have panic attacks sometimes; my GP prescribed Xanax in a .5mg pill - I cut it into quarters and take a piece if I need to. The doctor actually laughed at the tiny dosage I use, but hey, it works, and I don't feel it working, I just feel, well, normal.
  • DONCARLOS
    STAYING CALM
    Hi: I do the same thing, except that I take the one Mg. and cut it in half. I use only if and when I am really out of whack. It helps with myu pain medicine because I really don't want to take the paipn medicine, so the Xanax, compensates and I feel much better.

I really don't want to get dependent on any medication.

To me, Anxiety is just fear of the unknown. If I know what is causing me a problem I can fight it and live with it as I have dont up to now with my Cancer. Once I lose my control on anything else I take my Xanax, take a short nap and I feel much better.

Thanks for the input....it helps

DonCarlos
  • euphoria_84
    euphoria_84 Member Posts: 1
    DONCARLOS said:

STAYING CALM
    Hi: I do the same thing, except that I take the one Mg. and cut it in half. I use only if and when I am really out of whack. It helps with myu pain medicine because I really don't want to take the paipn medicine, so the Xanax, compensates and I feel much better.

I really don't want to get dependent on any medication.

To me, Anxiety is just fear of the unknown. If I know what is causing me a problem I can fight it and live with it as I have dont up to now with my Cancer. Once I lose my control on anything else I take my Xanax, take a short nap and I feel much better.

Thanks for the input....it helps

DonCarlos

Hi Mr. Don Carlos...
    I find your post very helpful and encouraging... thank you.

I am just 25 years old and had my left lung removed last March 30. It collapsed due to enlarged lymph nodes (but not cancerous).

You mentioned "LOTS OF FLUID HAD ACCMULATED" on your post. In my case, lots of PUS accumulated after surgery. My stitch bulged and cut open and lots pus came out it. Its scary and gross at the same time. It was really a bad infection. I am ok now but still under antiobiotics... my ct scan shows that there is still minimal fluid left inside, 8cc. I hope that it get absorbed by antibiotics and steroids so I wont need to undergo CT guided syringe drain.

I feel so ok and normal now. No breathing problems. But there is always the fear that I might catch another infection or there might be another complication... But as much as possible I'm staying positive and keeping everything in God's hands.

Also, I had surgery and my family are the only ones who knew about it. I never told my friends.. Now when I told them (my friends) they got shocked and find it hard to believe because I don't even look like i lost one lung. I feel happy because i feel normal despite of the fact that i only have one lung now.

Keep recovering and more power to all of us!

V
  • DONCARLOS
    After surgery
    Wow! You are a very oung person. I am sure you will do OK. Just weatch yourself with the infection. that is my only worry. But I am 77 years old.

Good luck and keep you renergy and great attitude.

Don Carlos
  • PBJ Austin
    euphoria 84
    May I ask what caused your condition? Since you do not have cancer I assume you had a bad infection, is that right?

I have a 6 cm mass in my right lung as well as a few swollen lymph nodes. They have taken 2 biopsies and found no cancer but the testing for infection or fungus will take 6 weeks. I expect those results in early August, but in the meantime I am on antibiotics in case it is an infection. I am wondering what the heck causes such a bad lung infection?

I appreciate any info you would care to share.
  • DONCARLOS
    Back from Surgery
    Euphoria:

I do have Cancer CARCINOMA ON MY RIGHT LUNG. a 2.9cm mass was found on my righ lung. biopsis came out INCONCLUSIVE, so A PETSCAN was ordered and reveaed the mass. AT THIS STAGE THEY NEVER TELL YOU IF IT IS MALIGNANT OR NOT. THEY MUST REMOVE IT AND THEN THEY ARE ABLE TO TELL YOU. Mmine resulted in being a CARCINOMA (non aggressive (?)) and it was removed immediately, My lymphnodes, were also woked on. I had to return after the surgery because it was found that lots of liquid had formed afte the surgery and my breating was compromised. They had to reintroduce the CHEST TUBE. CARCINOMA IS STILL CANCER although not as aggressive as the small cell cancers. Three weeks after may main surgery,. I was not yet told about chemo or any ohter treatment. I am still waiting to meet with my Oncologyst and then back tomy Thoracic Dr. At Robert Wood Johnson on 7-27, which will be one month since the main surgery. I feel a little better after the second drain and have experienced little pain all around. I try very hard to rest as much as possible because it helps me greatly. I do little chores and rapirs around the house so to keep my mind off the subject. I also know that it takes a while for your entire body to come back to normal but I am very pain tolerant, and that helps.

I hope you feel better.

DONCARLOS.
  • PBJ Austin
    Confusion
    Don Carlos, sorry if my post has caused confustion, but my question about lung infection was directed at euphoria 84.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator