What is perineural invasion Posted by NM

NM
NM Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I have this phrase throughout my cancer report and am confused as to its meaning. Any help would be appreciated. Also my dad had PC and choose radiation, And his cancer went to the bone i believe 7 years later. Is this normal for radiation? Right now i am leaning to removal of mine but am as yet undecided. I would like to thank all who have helped me so far I though I was alone in this but now I can see I am not, again thanks... Nick

Comments

• lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    I asked my Doctor at
    I asked my Doctor at Vanderbilt this question about one month ago since I was confused.
    I Asked "I thought Biopsy's took samples from inside of the prostate so how do they know about this perineural invasion?"

He told me that there are hundreds of little nerves that extend from the main erection nerve bundles into the prostate itself. During biopsy the core samples removed can show these microscopic nerves inside of the prostate.

The perineural invasion means that the Cancer is attacking these nerves inside of the prostate.

If the cancer is aggressive enough then it can get into these nerves and then spread to the nerve bundles on the outside of the prostate and eventually spread into other nerves throughout the body. The doctor also told me that the seminal vesicules are removed during surgery since they are also areas that the cancer likes to use to getting to other areas of the body.

Hope this helps you some.

Larry
  • NM
    NM Member Posts: 214
    lewvino said:

I asked my Doctor at
    I asked my Doctor at Vanderbilt this question about one month ago since I was confused.
    I Asked "I thought Biopsy's took samples from inside of the prostate so how do they know about this perineural invasion?"

He told me that there are hundreds of little nerves that extend from the main erection nerve bundles into the prostate itself. During biopsy the core samples removed can show these microscopic nerves inside of the prostate.

The perineural invasion means that the Cancer is attacking these nerves inside of the prostate.

If the cancer is aggressive enough then it can get into these nerves and then spread to the nerve bundles on the outside of the prostate and eventually spread into other nerves throughout the body. The doctor also told me that the seminal vesicules are removed during surgery since they are also areas that the cancer likes to use to getting to other areas of the body.

Hope this helps you some.

Larry

Helps a lot
    Thanks Larry that helps me make sense of 1 thing so far. The rest of this I fear I may never actually know and still I must make a decision. I feel paralyzed. thanks again Nick
  • lewvino
    lewvino Member Posts: 1,010
    NM said:

Helps a lot
    Thanks Larry that helps me make sense of 1 thing so far. The rest of this I fear I may never actually know and still I must make a decision. I feel paralyzed. thanks again Nick

If you want to shoot me a
    If you want to shoot me a private email to discuss anything else please contact me at lewvino@yahoo.com

I also have numerous fears as my surgery date gets closer.

Larry
  • Watch.repair.man
    Watch.repair.man Member Posts: 49
    NM or Larry.
    Hey guys. I am 4 weeks past surgery.
    Please send me an email (thejetman77@yahoo.com) and I will send you my phone number or send me yours. If you would like to talk person to person. I have 2 friends that just went through this also (Christmas and April), I have had a lot of support from them and my Doctor is great.
    Peace to both of you.
    I will keep you all in my prayers.
    Keven