6 weeks out from chemo now and got my port out (any diabetes people out here?)

daydreamer110761
daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Have to say that was the best reason for surgery I can think of. I am assuming that the doc wouldn't say ok if it wasn't (ok don't ever assume anything, but it was clean up chemo after the resection), but found it odd that I haven't had a scan or anything yet. I have to set up a colonoscopy appt before I see the Onc again in September. yuk.

My feet and hands are worse than they were while doing the chemo - it drives me crazy to type, which stinks cause that is the main part of my job. the only good part of that is my nails are growing because it hurts to pick at them and I neve did bite them!

I find that I get more frustrated because I think that I should be feeling normal, and truthfully, I feel better than I did, but I am still so tired! I need to get walking again, all the weight that I lost has come back, mostly from being sedentary.

One of my big problems (which if anyone can relate feel free) is that at the same time I was diagnosed with the big "C" I was also diagnosed with type II diabetes. In the beginning I was trying to follow blood sugar, eat right, yadda yadda...and then got pissed off that I couldn't taste anything, ate what tasted good, which was basically iced cream (on good days) and sugar (things I didn't eat much of before). Now I am concerned that some of the side effects from chemo are the same things which diabetes causes. I've stopped eating most of the crap again, am trying to be better and get exercising.

On a better note - am walking the survivors lap in the relay for life tomorrow evening, and the wedding plans are coming along. found a dress, think we are booking a holiday inn next week, and I keep loosing the notes I make (chemo brain attack) this is harder than the chemo...

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    You need a note
    to keep track of your notes. I forget short term stuff all the time. Glad to hear it's over. The feeling does come back, it takes time but using your fingers for typing would be good therapy. Walking is great, I do that and now I'm swimming a lot too.
    I'm sorry that I have no input on the diabetes thing.
    I just wanted to say a note for tracking notes...
    -phil
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905
    Yay port out
    My oncologist also said I could have my port out after cleanup chemo after my liver resection. I've chosen to wait until after my PET/CT which will be in August at 3 months out because I couldn't stand for anybody to touch me after ending chemo. My neuropathy also got worse after my treatments ended (now 8 weeks out), and seems to just this week to have stabilized. Very annoying on the soles of my feet and tips of my fingers. Keep on with eating well and go easy on yourself about what you "should" be able to do. I say that advice to myself too as it has been a bumpy road continuing to be gentle kind and patient with myself. Though I know that life changes all the time-heck I'm a Zen student even!–but the desire to have things the way I want them to be is very very strong.

all the best, Leslie
  • daydreamer110761
    lesvanb said:

Yay port out
    My oncologist also said I could have my port out after cleanup chemo after my liver resection. I've chosen to wait until after my PET/CT which will be in August at 3 months out because I couldn't stand for anybody to touch me after ending chemo. My neuropathy also got worse after my treatments ended (now 8 weeks out), and seems to just this week to have stabilized. Very annoying on the soles of my feet and tips of my fingers. Keep on with eating well and go easy on yourself about what you "should" be able to do. I say that advice to myself too as it has been a bumpy road continuing to be gentle kind and patient with myself. Though I know that life changes all the time-heck I'm a Zen student even!–but the desire to have things the way I want them to be is very very strong.

all the best, Leslie

thanx
    philleg - i would loose that note too.

Leslie - I HATE not feeling up to snuff. I feel like that at least during chemo there was a reason, and now there isn't, and I should be fine. but I am not. it's not what other people can see, it's what they can't see. my feet didn't really bother me during treatment, and now walking down steps hurts, or doesn't, I'm not sure. I don't know what the "new normal" is, but it sure ain't this!
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    WooHoo
    Glad you got your port out. That has to be such a relief. Sounds like you are getting organized for the wedding so that is good.

Maybe use post its, but knowing me it would stick to something else and be thrown out LOL.

Hugs! Kim
  • bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    Diabetes
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes several years before the chemo. I've always controlled the diabetes with diet until I couldn't eat for three months. During those three months I couldn't eat solid food, only Ensure and some broth so I lost 65 pounds and my last A1C was 4.9. My family doctor told me to keep watching my blood sugar but not to worry about the diabetes anymore. Now I'm eating ice cream and desserts. Something I have not been able to eat in four years. My oncologist told me before my surgery that my diabetes could disappear after taking chemo for a couple of months, and he was right. I really think it was losing the weight.
    Are you hands and feet peeling? While mine were peeling they hurt so bad, I wanted to cry at times.
    Good luck with your wedding plans.
  • daydreamer110761
    bdee said:

Diabetes
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes several years before the chemo. I've always controlled the diabetes with diet until I couldn't eat for three months. During those three months I couldn't eat solid food, only Ensure and some broth so I lost 65 pounds and my last A1C was 4.9. My family doctor told me to keep watching my blood sugar but not to worry about the diabetes anymore. Now I'm eating ice cream and desserts. Something I have not been able to eat in four years. My oncologist told me before my surgery that my diabetes could disappear after taking chemo for a couple of months, and he was right. I really think it was losing the weight.
    Are you hands and feet peeling? While mine were peeling they hurt so bad, I wanted to cry at times.
    Good luck with your wedding plans.

yep!
    My hands went through that for a while, especially my fingers, and I didn't help any by picking at it, but the fingers got to hurtin so bad (tingly wise) that I can't. My feet on the other hand are just starting, and man do they hurt.

I don't remember what my last A1C was, just that the onc told me I need to drop some more poundage, which is what I am working on now. Gotta fit into a dress in October anyway!
  • lesvanb
    lesvanb Member Posts: 905

thanx
    philleg - i would loose that note too.

Leslie - I HATE not feeling up to snuff. I feel like that at least during chemo there was a reason, and now there isn't, and I should be fine. but I am not. it's not what other people can see, it's what they can't see. my feet didn't really bother me during treatment, and now walking down steps hurts, or doesn't, I'm not sure. I don't know what the "new normal" is, but it sure ain't this!

totally can relate
    My "after chemo fits" as i call them have much to do about how much i hate this-like i HATE pooh,and everything associated with poohing, i hate how my feet tingle and hurt now and didn't during chemo, i hate how much of a struggle it is to go to PT, i hate how people make assumptions of how i should feel, etc. i have a close girlfriend with whom i can vent in a very structured way-she says a stupid comment like "well you're so lucky you are alive!" and i vent about "like what to you know, you idiot?1?!". and then we go on to the next staement she'll throw out there. Pretty soon we're both rolling on the floor (that's a metaphor-rolling on the floor would be part of my rehabilitation during yoga class)...Anyway it helps with the frustrations during this phase and I'm glad to know i'm not alone.

all the best, Leslie
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator