Got admitted to hospital today

Ro10
Ro10 Member Posts: 1,561 Member
edited March 2014 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1
This has been a bad week since Sunday. First the vision problems. Had some abdominal tenderness starting on Sunday, too. Thought it was from the constipation. I don't usually have problems with constipation. MOnday and Tuesday I was sooo tired, and cold. Wendesday I checked my temperature becuase my husband said I felt warm. I did have a fever and was able to get it down with drinking lots of fluids. It was down all day Thursday and went back up Thursday night. I still had a temp Friday morning, so I went to see the onocologist. I was afraid I would have to go to the hospital, and I did.

My WBC was 2.0. It really dropped since my chemo. The onocologist said that is not unusual after radiation. I was really surprised that it dropped that much. I am getting Neupogen every day to bring up the WBC count. I am also on 3 different antibiotics. That part is scary for me as I have so many allergies, and I have not had any of these drugs before. Hope I tolerate all of them.

My fever has not been above 100 today, so I am feeling much better tonight. I just hope the hospital stay is not too long. Had a CAT scan tonight, blood cultures, urine cultures, and a chest x-ray. Hope they come back negative.

After the next chemo they will give me Neulasta a day after chemo, to hopefully keep this from happening again.

Hope all is well with all of you.

Comments

• Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    Admitted to hospital
    Oh Ro! so sorry to hear all this is happening to you. It all sounds pretty scary. Our bodies are so vulnerable to all this new stuff we are putting it through.Hope your hospital stay is very short and that you will be feeling better real soon.
    Special prayers will be said for you tonight.... hugs, Teresa
  • shortmarge
    shortmarge Member Posts: 291
    Teresa 61 said:

Admitted to hospital
    Oh Ro! so sorry to hear all this is happening to you. It all sounds pretty scary. Our bodies are so vulnerable to all this new stuff we are putting it through.Hope your hospital stay is very short and that you will be feeling better real soon.
    Special prayers will be said for you tonight.... hugs, Teresa

Ro
    Saying a special pray for you. Feel better soon!

Hugs...
  • deanna14
    deanna14 Member Posts: 732

Ro
    Saying a special pray for you. Feel better soon!

Hugs...

I am sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. Just rest and concentrate on letting you body heal. Hugs,
    Deanna
  • kkstef
    kkstef Member Posts: 688 Member
    deanna14 said:

I am sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. Just rest and concentrate on letting you body heal. Hugs,
    Deanna

Prayers and Positive thoughts!
    Ro,

I am so sorry to hear about your hospitalization. Am praying it will be short and that all of your tests turn out o.k. Our bodies can do amazing things to respond to the onslaught it suffers! Hang in there!
  • jjmb126
    jjmb126 Member Posts: 14 Member
    wishing you well
    Seems like you have a very caring attentive husband there -kudos to him for watching out for you. Hope this is just a glitch and that you out by the time you read this.
  • cookie1948
    cookie1948 Member Posts: 77
    hospital stay
    Ro,
    Hope your stay is short and everything turns out well. Sorry to hear you were feeling so sick. Get well soon and my prayers go out to you!! Hang in there, you are so strong.
    Cookie
  • Songflower
    Songflower Member Posts: 608
    Wishing you to feel better soon
    let them take good care of you. Rest and you are where you need to be. We are thinking of you. Rest and let the body heal. It's a little set back but you'll be back on track soon. prayers and hugs.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980

Wishing you to feel better soon
    let them take good care of you. Rest and you are where you need to be. We are thinking of you. Rest and let the body heal. It's a little set back but you'll be back on track soon. prayers and hugs.

(((RO))))!!! I am so SORRY that you're in the hospital!!
    It sounds as if you are getting excellent care, Ro, and they are on top of things, so please don't be too worried. The radiation can really compromise your bone marrow for awhile, and hopefully by the time you have your next treatment you'll be more recovered, especially with the extra meds. I hold you in my prayers. BIG BIG HUGS!
  • bonniesue
    bonniesue Member Posts: 124 Member
    ro10
    sorry you are not feeling well and I will say a special prayer for you tonight. God bless and feel better soon.
  • bella09
    bella09 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Ro
    I am sorry to hear about your hospitalization. I am praying that you will be better and home soon. I am so glad that you have such a supporting husband.

Jean
  • Ro10
    bella09 said:

Ro
    I am sorry to hear about your hospitalization. I am praying that you will be better and home soon. I am so glad that you have such a supporting husband.

Jean

Still in hospital for a few more days
    I had 2 shots of Neupogen and my WBC went from 2.0 - 6.3. That is a wonder drug. So I got to get out of protective isolation today. Am still getting 3 different antibiotics with no apparent reaction to any of them. Yesterday I had terrible back spasm in the mid back. Tyelonal did not touch the spasms, so I got a stronger pain pill. It did take care of the back spasms. The doctor on call yesterday did not think it was from the Neupogen, but my regular onocologist said she thought it probably was from the Neupogen. I was glad to hear that so I don't have to worry about being allergic to one of the antibiotics. Everyone said people complain of "bone pain", This definitely was not bone pain.

MY CAT scan showed a "fluid accumulation" in the lower pelvis. So tomorrow I will have a CT guided biopsy for them to drain it, and see if it grows anything. I also asked about a PICC or port being inserted, as it is taking multiple sticks now for lab and IV starts. The doctor thought a PICC would be better, as I only have 2 more chemo left. I am looking toward the future with repeated CAT scans, lab draws and heaven forbid "high liklihood of reoccurence", so I am opting for the PORT. Don't know if that is the right decision, but it feels right to me today. Plus the idea of the port being under the skin, and the PICC being outside, I think I will like that better, too. Someday I hope to get back to gardening and don't want to worry about damaging the PICC line.

I will be here for a few more days to get the IV antibiotics. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated. IN peace and caring. HUGS to you.
  • lindaprocopio
    Just another BIG HUG, Ro. ((((((Ro)))))))
    Just a bump in the road, Ro, but I still hate for you to be going through this. Glad the white count climbed so nicely!

I keep forgetting to compliment you on your astillbe in the background of your photo: LOVELY! Mine are also blooming here, but the plumes aren't as long and lush as last year so I know they need divided this fall for sure. You'll be out in your garden before you know it.
  • seably
    seably Member Posts: 29
    Ro10 said:

I had 2 shots of Neupogen and my WBC went from 2.0 - 6.3. That is a wonder drug. So I got to get out of protective isolation today. Am still getting 3 different antibiotics with no apparent reaction to any of them. Yesterday I had terrible back spasm in the mid back. Tyelonal did not touch the spasms, so I got a stronger pain pill. It did take care of the back spasms. The doctor on call yesterday did not think it was from the Neupogen, but my regular onocologist said she thought it probably was from the Neupogen. I was glad to hear that so I don't have to worry about being allergic to one of the antibiotics. Everyone said people complain of "bone pain", This definitely was not bone pain.

MY CAT scan showed a "fluid accumulation" in the lower pelvis. So tomorrow I will have a CT guided biopsy for them to drain it, and see if it grows anything. I also asked about a PICC or port being inserted, as it is taking multiple sticks now for lab and IV starts. The doctor thought a PICC would be better, as I only have 2 more chemo left. I am looking toward the future with repeated CAT scans, lab draws and heaven forbid "high liklihood of reoccurence", so I am opting for the PORT. Don't know if that is the right decision, but it feels right to me today. Plus the idea of the port being under the skin, and the PICC being outside, I think I will like that better, too. Someday I hope to get back to gardening and don't want to worry about damaging the PICC line.

I will be here for a few more days to get the IV antibiotics. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, they are much appreciated. IN peace and caring. HUGS to you.

My prayers are with you
    Dear Ro,

I've read your many helpful and inspirational posts. You given me a lot of useful info - thanks.

Many prayers for your swift recovery.

Take care,
    Stacey
  • barb55
    barb55 Member Posts: 91
    Take care Ro
    Take care Ro. You must be exhausted. You will be back soon in your lovely garden. Sending you warm wishes and strength.
    Barb
  • pjba
    pjba Member Posts: 3
    Ro10 said:

Thinking of you all day....
    Ro, So sorry to hear what you are going through. It is hard to be where you are now. We are all so vulnerable. I had just read a post about another gal who was dx with recurrence at the cuff and after all she went through to 'fix' it ... 'all' she had was scar tissue. You have a lot of prayers being said for you our sister. Hang tough and remember the unknown is many times the worst enemy. Please let me know if you can think of anything to help. I pray again that you will heal in Jesus name.
  • nursey420
    nursey420 Member Posts: 52 Member
    barb55 said:

Take care Ro
    Take care Ro. You must be exhausted. You will be back soon in your lovely garden. Sending you warm wishes and strength.
    Barb

hope you are doing better
    Ro
    Hope you are doing better. Just rest and let the drugs work. PICC and Ports are a big thing but will make the blood draws and medication go better. Good Luck my prayer are with you
    Lisa
  • Teresa 61
    Teresa 61 Member Posts: 84 Member
    Ro
    You are in my prayers... Teresa
  • deanna14
    deanna14 Member Posts: 732
    Teresa 61 said:

Ro
    You are in my prayers... Teresa

Good Luck Ro!
    Good luck with the CT biopsy today. You just rest and let them take care of you and let your body heal. I think you will like the port. I am glad I got one, my veins were horrible before chemo. I can't imagine them trying to find a vein for chemo.
    I am praying you will be on the mend soon.
    Sending you love and hugs...
  • lindaprocopio
    deanna14 said:

Good Luck Ro!
    Good luck with the CT biopsy today. You just rest and let them take care of you and let your body heal. I think you will like the port. I am glad I got one, my veins were horrible before chemo. I can't imagine them trying to find a vein for chemo.
    I am praying you will be on the mend soon.
    Sending you love and hugs...

one more hug: (((((Ro)))))) for CT-scan day!
    In my thoughts and prayers, Ro. Good luck with the CT-scan. Nag them endlessly for the results!! And then let us know.

; )
  • Ro10

one more hug: (((((Ro)))))) for CT-scan day!
    In my thoughts and prayers, Ro. Good luck with the CT-scan. Nag them endlessly for the results!! And then let us know.

; )

Thank you everyone for the HUGS and prayers
    I had the CT guided aspiration of the "fluid accumulation" today. There was not much fluid there. Only about 1/2 teaspoon, but it was a light green color. The radiologist did not think this was the source of my fevers. But my onocologist came in this evening and said it was showing bacteria already. But it will be 48 hours for the final results.

I had a fever of 101 again last night. So I had 2 more blood cultures drawn. So far today the temperature has been down. My white blood cell count today was 13.5 (that high usually means an infection). So here I have gone from one extreme to the other. I am still on the 3 antibiotics. If I am not on the right ones when the culture from the fluid comes back, I will need different antibiotics. That will mean a longer stay here in the hospital.

Because of the fever last night I can not get a port inserted yet. Don't know when that will happen. It will be up to the infection control doctor to make that decision. So I am making small progress, but still have a ways to go.

Thanks again for all of your concerns. In peace and caring. HUGS to you.