That annoying scar and the sun?

Sally08
Sally08 Member Posts: 46
edited March 2014 in Thyroid Cancer #1
My scar is smack dab in the front of my neck right above my collar bone and I have not once bothered to cover it up because to me it's just plain annoying... however... I am now getting sunburn on top of sunburn.... and I'm not quite sure if there's anything I can do about it.... especially with it now becoming summer....
Yes I use sunscreen.... but I've always had extremely fair skin... even SPF 45 does not do anything in regards to keeping me from getting burned...
Does anyone have any tricks in keeping the sun away from it? lol
I've been thinking as far as to maybe make a make shift 'fabric choker' to wear, to at least shade it from the sun a little more... lol
Thanks lol
Sally.

Comments

• thyroidless
    thyroidless Member Posts: 1
    I just got my thyroid
    I just got my thyroid removed and I've been using fashionable light, summery scarves that are trendy right now to cover up my stitches, at least until the surgical tape comes off and the stitches dissolve.

You can get nice scarves anywhere in clothing stores, I see them all the time in fashion magazines, some are even nice enough to wear with a business outfit.
  • memoryangel
    memoryangel Member Posts: 6

I just got my thyroid
    I just got my thyroid removed and I've been using fashionable light, summery scarves that are trendy right now to cover up my stitches, at least until the surgical tape comes off and the stitches dissolve.

You can get nice scarves anywhere in clothing stores, I see them all the time in fashion magazines, some are even nice enough to wear with a business outfit.

love the scarves!
    I have been wearing the scarves too! People think you are just being trendy :) I asked my friends/family to keep an eye out for deals so I could buy them at a good price but ended up getting a ton as get well gifts after surgery! Only downside.. they can be hot on your neck in this summer heat! Tip - Old Navy has some really lightweight scarves for reasonable prices right now.
  • jcvolt
    jcvolt Member Posts: 69
    The first thing
    The first thing everyone told me was don't get sun on my scar. I am still wearing scarves but it looks like my scar will soon look like a wrinkle and I will be able to stop. I had my surgery on 3/9/09
  • Lilypr
    Lilypr Member Posts: 32
    jcvolt said:

The first thing
    The first thing everyone told me was don't get sun on my scar. I am still wearing scarves but it looks like my scar will soon look like a wrinkle and I will be able to stop. I had my surgery on 3/9/09

Hello Sally08
    My surgery was on april 13th (this year). And as jcvolt everyone told me the same: "don't get sun on my scar". That includes my oncologist told me to avoid get sun and to use every protection. I live on a tropical island so it's a little hard to do that LOL. Besides scarves (in the market you can find a lot beautiful ones) if needed you can use products like; SPF 80, Ultimate Sun Protection. Hawaiian Tropic® Ozone® Ultimate sunscreens.

Thankfully my scar is healing very good but I'm still taking care of it. I'm a newbie on this but at least I hope this idea will work for you.

Keep it up..!!

= )
  • jcvolt
    jcvolt Member Posts: 69
    Lilypr said:

Hello Sally08
    My surgery was on april 13th (this year). And as jcvolt everyone told me the same: "don't get sun on my scar". That includes my oncologist told me to avoid get sun and to use every protection. I live on a tropical island so it's a little hard to do that LOL. Besides scarves (in the market you can find a lot beautiful ones) if needed you can use products like; SPF 80, Ultimate Sun Protection. Hawaiian Tropic® Ozone® Ultimate sunscreens.

Thankfully my scar is healing very good but I'm still taking care of it. I'm a newbie on this but at least I hope this idea will work for you.

Keep it up..!!

= )

mederma
    I am also using mederma on my scar though I can't say for sure if it is helping.
  • Sally08
    Sally08 Member Posts: 46
    Thank You All,
    It could be

Thank You All,
    It could be just my imagniation. but to me it looks like my scar seems to be more noticeable now than it was right after surgeries. lol Given it is about 4 shades darker red than the rest of my neck due to sunburn... lol My phlebotomist told me to use cocoa butter that it can work almost like mederma... but I to can not see much of a difference.... It is rather itchy though... I'll definitely look for some scarves... turtlenecks have always been out of the question for me due to PTSD... but hopefully scarves wont bother me as much.
    Sally.