A few Tips from My Nurse Practitioner

lizzydavis
lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Metamucil - bulks the stools. I highly recommend it! Metamucil contains a bulk-forming fiber without any chemical stimulants. The active ingredient, psyllium, is a harvested grain that absorbs and holds moisture. This causes the psyllium to swell, supplying the necessary bulk to help form an easily eliminated stool. Metamucil will not cause immediate evacuation but generally produces an effect in 12 to 72 hours.
-----------------------
Keep a clean mouth - Do not use mouthwashes with alcohol. Ask your pharmacist to help you find one.

---------------

Keep mouth moist - drink plenty of water.

--------------------

If you have the slightest bit of nausea take the activan. Do not wait until it is too late. You can cut these pills in half even though they are small.

--------------------------------------
If your temp reaches 100.5 - call immediately. It could mean infection.

-------------------------------------
High citric candy can take out the metallic taste - try lemon hard candy.
----------------------------------
No sun - stay in the shade.
-------------------------------------
Buy Eucerin cream for your hands, arms, and feet. Not the lotion - buy the cream

Comments

• Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Lizzy,lots of thanks to you
    Lizzy,lots of thanks to you and your tips.My hubby just started chemo and radiation this Monday,so far so good,he hasn't felt anything wrong except a little tired.I will tell my hubby your tips and remind him to drink lots of water everyday.Thanks a lot.
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    My Pleasure...
    If I can help someone once a day, I have had a good day. Thanks!