Lung and throat cancer

Glenna M
Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
I just received a call from my PCP regarding my PET scan. I was diagnosed last week with NSCLC and now I'm being told that I have a large mass in my throat which is impacting my larynx. They said the throat cancer is the primary cancer and the lung cancer is secondary. I was in such a state of shock that I didn't think to ask - does this mean I have two types of cancer or has the throat cancer metastasized to my lung.

Any input anyone can give me might help ease some of my fears until my doctors appointment on Monday.

Thanks and best wishes and thoughts to all.
Glenna

Comments

• Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Two types of cancer at once??
    Has anyone else been diagnosed with 2 different types of cancer at the same time. I was diagnosed with NSCLC in my left lung on 5-19 and today was told I have cancer of the larynx. The doctor said they were separate cancers not mets. Now I have to have a biopsy on the larynx tumor tomorrow and a ct scan on Friday to determine whether it has invaded the cartillage, if it has then the only option is to remove my larynx, if not then chemo and radiation might help shrink the tumor.

I'm still in shock over the second diagnosis and was just wondering if there was anyone else who has had a similiar experience.

Thanks for any help/advice/encouragement anyone can offer.
  • MichelleP
    MichelleP Member Posts: 254
    Glenna M said:

Two types of cancer at once??
    Has anyone else been diagnosed with 2 different types of cancer at the same time. I was diagnosed with NSCLC in my left lung on 5-19 and today was told I have cancer of the larynx. The doctor said they were separate cancers not mets. Now I have to have a biopsy on the larynx tumor tomorrow and a ct scan on Friday to determine whether it has invaded the cartillage, if it has then the only option is to remove my larynx, if not then chemo and radiation might help shrink the tumor.

I'm still in shock over the second diagnosis and was just wondering if there was anyone else who has had a similiar experience.

Thanks for any help/advice/encouragement anyone can offer.

Glenna
    My husband was diagnosed with bladder cancer in January this year just two months before the lung cancer diagnosis. They told us also that it was two different forms of cancer. The bladder cancer was burned and removed immediately and has not returned. It's the lung cancer that seems to be the difficult one for us right now having to deal with this nasty chemotherapy. But, if it works then the side effects are well worth it! Keep hanging in there my friend and gather as much information as you can about your illness. Take notes with all your questions before you see the doctor also. During such stressful times it's easy to forget them and it's important.