God and Cancer

2»

Comments

• new discussion board
    A new discussion board has been created so that CSN members who wish to discuss the role of faith and spirituality in their cancer experience will have an outlet for doing so. The board can be found under the category of "Other" boards and is called "Spiritality, Prayer, and Meditation." We hope this will prove to be a positive resolution for all concerned.

Non-judgemental attitudes and open hearts and minds ensure a safe and welcoming place for all who seek support in the CSN community.

Your CSN Staff
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

new discussion board
    A new discussion board has been created so that CSN members who wish to discuss the role of faith and spirituality in their cancer experience will have an outlet for doing so. The board can be found under the category of "Other" boards and is called "Spiritality, Prayer, and Meditation." We hope this will prove to be a positive resolution for all concerned.

Non-judgemental attitudes and open hearts and minds ensure a safe and welcoming place for all who seek support in the CSN community.

Your CSN Staff

• 2bhealed said:

Unbelievable
    Hi NWGirl,

Can you believe that when my sister was dying of cancer a "friend" wrote me a letter and told me that my sister wasn't being healed because she had unconfessed sin in her life. (the girl was AOG, Phil, FYI). It was years before I could communicate with this "friend." Then when I got diagnosed this "friend" contacted me a lot to sell me some essential oils to heal my cancer. I didn't buy any. And I surely didn't want to receive a letter from her telling me I had cancer because of unrepented sin in my life.

When we decide to be the Holy Spirit for others' lives, we get into an arrogant power struggle.

As a Believer, it's pretty dangerous to put that kind of judgment on other human beings--thinking that they died because they didn't pray enough or that they had sinned (or that they didn't say the correct sinner's prayer in the proper order or at the right time of day in the right place while wearing the acceptable attire). Holy Cow, if that were the case I would be rigor mortis years ago! HA!

All We Need Is Love.

peace, emily

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    unknown said:

good subject
    I was told it could have been because I eat to much fast food and I am lazy. However before I got the DX I worked at least 10-12 hours a day, travelled all over the world with my job. Yes I didnt eat great but I wouldnt say I was lazy....

Beth
  • NWGirl
    NWGirl Member Posts: 122 Member
    Pink05 / Lee
    Pink05 - those were well chosen verses - food for thought. I appreciate you sharing them with me. I'm not a Christian and probably never will be, but I do find religion, all religions, to be fascinating and there are aspects of all religions which I like; and aspects I don't care for.

In any event - thank you. That was very kind of you to answer my post in such a non-confrontational, respectful and thoughtful way.

In dealing with cancer issues or other equally devastating events, it's hard to not look to a "higher power" for answers to questions that are so overwhelming and devastating to patients and families. I remember a young girl I used to work with who was very religious (Christian). We used to have the most fascinating conversations about the bible. She had a way of explaining things that made so much sense to me. Again - I'm not a Christian - but she just made things make so much sense. I told her she really needed to start her own church - she had a wonderful gift.

This board has a lot of great people on it. Lets face it, if we were all the same and felt and thought the same way about everything, life would be pretty boring.
  • dorookie said:

good subject
    I was told it could have been because I eat to much fast food and I am lazy. However before I got the DX I worked at least 10-12 hours a day, travelled all over the world with my job. Yes I didnt eat great but I wouldnt say I was lazy....

Beth

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    unknown said:

Environment
    I think you said what I was thinking. I am a practicing Catholic, say my prayers every day and no one ever told me I have it because I sinned. I'm 50, my mom died of breast cancer when she was 56 and was a "Saint" and prayed all the time.

I was never told by my doctors why I got cancer, they just took my history, asked about bowel movements, family history of colon cancer, smoke/drink/drugs, weight, height, bleeding, pain. Never once did my doctors, and all that I have, tell me it was because of anyone thing I did, since I didn't have a history of colon cancer in my family. Someone even said on another message board it was because I grilled out 3 times a week - oh give me a break, then all the people in Texas should quit doing those BBQ cook offs LOL.

We get cancer because we get cancer. We deal with it the best we can and some do better than others, but if we see ourselves coming here for support and/or utilizing the God we look to for comfort, we do it because we can find comfort in many forms of this life. Looking at a beautiful sky, full tree of leaves, or ocean can be so comforting. Let us not down play each other's feelings no matter what the subject. We need to be here to support one another.

I think we share one most common bond and that is we have or had colorectal cancer and we want to help one another get through it no matter what.

I want to thank you for all your support you all have given me. All your comments have been so much appreciated and taken to heart by your time that you have given me in writing me back. This is an important site for me and I come on here several times a day and consider "all" of you my cyber friends and good ones at that.

Hugs!

Kim
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member

Phil's lie
    I bumped the thread to save you the time searching.

Here's the thread. Please DO read my response to Mary and allow Phil's own repeated misquoting of me to speak for him.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/165765#comment-649910

Wow, Phil! You even searched to find out what kind of church I attend. That's spooky!

your comment...plus it's on your profile.
    "I have 2 choices on how I can deal with this beast. I can be determined to live and ENJOY my life the best that I can, and to continue this fight as long as I can, or I can give up and whine about the lot I have been given. I've never been much of a whiner, although I do have my days! Jesus gave His life on the cross for my sins, and I owe Him nothing less in return!
    Just my thoughts.

Better said than any preacher on TV this a.m. Without HIM, all we deserve is hell."

One of us needs glasses
    Apparently I'm a good guesser too :-)
    It's all over your profile page what religion you are, just so you know.
    Now that's spooky