tattoos

Shannonlw7
Shannonlw7 Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
i was wondering if anyone has gotten a tattoo while having cancer. is there any reason why i should not do it right now? i would welcome any thoughts or advice on this...thanks :)

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    tatoos
    Well, I got the radiation tatoos for my liver rads - does that count? LOL I can't imagine why canzer would make a difference in tatoos, but being on chemo would. I know of people (my sister is one) that got very severe infections after getting a tattoo. It isn't that common, but on chemo can be very dangerous.

If you're on chemo, my vote is not now. If you aren't, I'd still ask your onc before moving forward. Just be careful - but have some FUN!

Grins and giggles,

Kimby
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Tattoo was Taboo
    I got a tattoo in/on my colon that said "make incision here" or something to that effect so they knew where to cut.

I had asked my Onc about getting my ear re-pierced and she said "NO WAY" because of the chance of an infection. I doubt a tattoo would go over big with her. That's my Onc's opinion.

What are you thinking of getting?
    You certainly don't have to answer but I thought I'd ask.
    -phil ;-)
  • Shannonlw7
    PhillieG said:

Tattoo was Taboo
    I got a tattoo in/on my colon that said "make incision here" or something to that effect so they knew where to cut.

I had asked my Onc about getting my ear re-pierced and she said "NO WAY" because of the chance of an infection. I doubt a tattoo would go over big with her. That's my Onc's opinion.

-phil ;-)

tattoo
    well the first one was going to be a tattoo on my behind in honor of my doctor that says, this a%# belongs to dr. lowin...lol..just kidding..but really it is a tattoo that has three butterflies carrying ribbon and each one of my kids name on it..ricky, brittney, and timothy..my own angels :) Shannon
  • Shannonlw7
    kimby said:

tatoos
    Well, I got the radiation tatoos for my liver rads - does that count? LOL I can't imagine why canzer would make a difference in tatoos, but being on chemo would. I know of people (my sister is one) that got very severe infections after getting a tattoo. It isn't that common, but on chemo can be very dangerous.

If you're on chemo, my vote is not now. If you aren't, I'd still ask your onc before moving forward. Just be careful - but have some FUN!

Grins and giggles,

Kimby

lol
    yeah, it probably wont count..lol..but i was wondering about infecton like you said with your sister..because i know before they said to make sure i was very careful, even if just shaving my legs, in case of a cut, but i wasnt sure if the tattoo would be the same thing. i will talk to my onc before doing anything..but thanks for the advice.
    Shannon :)
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    PhillieG said:

Tattoo was Taboo

-phil ;-)

Tattoo or not
    I had asked my onc about getting a tattoo and she suggested I wait until I was finished with my chemo. I did wait and when I was finished I had the colon cancer symbol (blue star with the ribbon on top) tattooed on the inside of my wrist.

Phil, I just have to tell you, I love your sense of humor!!
  • confused1
    confused1 Member Posts: 50
    Tattoo
    I got a tattoo during my chemo sessions for stage 4 colon cancer. It took a little longer to heal. As soon as my kid's found out I had cancer all 3 of them wanted to get a tattoo that ment famiy. So we did. My son and I got one on the back of our neck's under the hair line. One of my daughter's got at it on her collar bone an my oldest daughter got it on her lower back (which I thnk the kid's refer it to as tramp stamp)Ha, Ha. But any way I got one. And the die faded some what And then I had it touch up a couple of months later and I didn't have any problem's. I think the doctor's are just worried it won't heal properly. It did take longer to heal more so on chemo than if I wasn't doing chemo. So I say go for it.
  • Shannonlw7
    confused1 said:

Tattoo
    I got a tattoo during my chemo sessions for stage 4 colon cancer. It took a little longer to heal. As soon as my kid's found out I had cancer all 3 of them wanted to get a tattoo that ment famiy. So we did. My son and I got one on the back of our neck's under the hair line. One of my daughter's got at it on her collar bone an my oldest daughter got it on her lower back (which I thnk the kid's refer it to as tramp stamp)Ha, Ha. But any way I got one. And the die faded some what And then I had it touch up a couple of months later and I didn't have any problem's. I think the doctor's are just worried it won't heal properly. It did take longer to heal more so on chemo than if I wasn't doing chemo. So I say go for it.

taking your advice
    i was so happy to hear from you and shoppergal and learn you both had good outcomes with your tattoos..i see my onc on tuesday so i believe i will inform him of my plans and go ahead with it. and yeah, its a tramp stamp, i have one from my younger days...now i just figure it gives my docs something to look at back there...lol..
  • confused1
    confused1 Member Posts: 50

taking your advice
    i was so happy to hear from you and shoppergal and learn you both had good outcomes with your tattoos..i see my onc on tuesday so i believe i will inform him of my plans and go ahead with it. and yeah, its a tramp stamp, i have one from my younger days...now i just figure it gives my docs something to look at back there...lol..

tattoos
    LOL about your last comment. I had asked my onc also.
  • Shannonlw7
    confused1 said:

tattoos
    LOL about your last comment. I had asked my onc also.

sense of humor
    i always ask my onc about everything before i do it.. but if i dont like his answer, i usually just look at him real serious and say "why, is it know to cause cancer?" lol...he has a very dry sense of humor and usually justs walks out shaking his head telling me to not to forget my next appt..lol..
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    confused1 said:

Tattoo

how cool
    How cool that your kids wanted a family tattoo. That's wonderful! Tattoos are quite popular and meaningful here in Hawaii.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen