10 down, 2 to go, but i have a question?

daydreamer110761
daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I'm doing ok - tired, hands icky. Doc suggested alpha lipoic acid for the neuropathy, and said if it isn;t gone he may not do the ox for the 11th treatment. I haven't bought it yet, but i may try it, only 2 treatments seems to be a waste.

Anyway - does anyone out there have a problem with sore throats? it seems that the last few i have a problem with too much saliva, a sore throat that feels like I am sick, like fire ripping through it, and i tend to get into choking fits - not sure about this stuff - thank goodness that there are only 2 left!

Comments

• tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hope it gets better soon
    I don't have any help to offer you, but I am very sorry you're going through all this right now.

*hugs*

Gail
  • beachinmom
    beachinmom Member Posts: 73
    tootsie1 said:

Hope it gets better soon
    I don't have any help to offer you, but I am very sorry you're going through all this right now.

*hugs*

Gail

2 more to go...yea.
    I didn't experience that either, but hoping you get some good advise and help. More importantly, hoping your throat feels better soon. Is it affected by temperature at all?
  • jenben59
    jenben59 Member Posts: 136 Member
    Hello, Daydreamer
    I'm glad to hear you only have two treatments left. Oxy started to get bad for me on the fifth treatment, so they postponed it for a week and it made a difference. I had my sixth treatment last Tuesday and the side effects are back, but not as bad. I get the worst side effects with my throat and breathing. I've had some choking...like I'm swallowing wrong! I thought that was me so I didn't ask anything about it, perhaps I should. Are things any warmer up North? Are you still working? I'm really happy for you...only 2 treatments left! How are things going with your daughter?
  • daydreamer110761
    jenben59 said:

Hello, Daydreamer
    I'm glad to hear you only have two treatments left. Oxy started to get bad for me on the fifth treatment, so they postponed it for a week and it made a difference. I had my sixth treatment last Tuesday and the side effects are back, but not as bad. I get the worst side effects with my throat and breathing. I've had some choking...like I'm swallowing wrong! I thought that was me so I didn't ask anything about it, perhaps I should. Are things any warmer up North? Are you still working? I'm really happy for you...only 2 treatments left! How are things going with your daughter?

oh thank goodness
    that I'm not the only one! For a bit here I thought that my brain forgot how to swallow! It seems that things go down the wrong pipe more than usual, there is too much saliva and I have been choking alot! This time around tho, the throat feels like it's raw, and it burns, I also noticed that there are sores on the side of my tongue, which I took care of at 3am this morning....yuk.

Things were warmer last week, but today there is lots of wind and 39 degrees out, but supposed to go up to the 80's by the end of the week (if that isn;t enough to make people sick). Yeah, I'm still working, and about to leave for a long day today. My daughter has been a big help - taking things from the washer to the dryer, dishes, and I have been teaching her to cook something besides mac and cheese! I can't put my hands in the meat, so she's learning! She was never interested before she lived alone!

Yeah, 2 treatments left - woo hoo! I can't wait to taste food again!
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member

oh thank goodness
    that I'm not the only one! For a bit here I thought that my brain forgot how to swallow! It seems that things go down the wrong pipe more than usual, there is too much saliva and I have been choking alot! This time around tho, the throat feels like it's raw, and it burns, I also noticed that there are sores on the side of my tongue, which I took care of at 3am this morning....yuk.

Things were warmer last week, but today there is lots of wind and 39 degrees out, but supposed to go up to the 80's by the end of the week (if that isn;t enough to make people sick). Yeah, I'm still working, and about to leave for a long day today. My daughter has been a big help - taking things from the washer to the dryer, dishes, and I have been teaching her to cook something besides mac and cheese! I can't put my hands in the meat, so she's learning! She was never interested before she lived alone!

Yeah, 2 treatments left - woo hoo! I can't wait to taste food again!

Throat
    Make sure you bring these issue up with your Onc Doc. When I had burning in the throat and chest, my Onc Doc prescribed Nexium for acid reflux symptons which helped. In addition, he also prescribed Magic Mouthwash which helped with the sorness in the mouth and throat.

CONTGRATS on only two treatments left. The light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you think :)
  • maglets
    maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
    nudgie said:

Throat
    Make sure you bring these issue up with your Onc Doc. When I had burning in the throat and chest, my Onc Doc prescribed Nexium for acid reflux symptons which helped. In addition, he also prescribed Magic Mouthwash which helped with the sorness in the mouth and throat.

CONTGRATS on only two treatments left. The light at the end of the tunnel is closer than you think :)

10 down that is amazing
    well done! that is amazing. I am so proud of you....we know the oxy is not easy. Good for your daughter...glad she is helping out.

I too have the swallow thing....I am at the end of round 4 of 6. I don't think I am am as bad as you ....but I do notice that things go down the wrong tube more often, I am coughing a lot and feel sort of chokey.....I do not have sores on the throat though.

Still cool here too but not the -30....I found the little warmer temps helped with the neuropathy.

Hang in there girl-friend

Much love,
    mags
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    maglets said:

10 down that is amazing
    well done! that is amazing. I am so proud of you....we know the oxy is not easy. Good for your daughter...glad she is helping out.

I too have the swallow thing....I am at the end of round 4 of 6. I don't think I am am as bad as you ....but I do notice that things go down the wrong tube more often, I am coughing a lot and feel sort of chokey.....I do not have sores on the throat though.

Still cool here too but not the -30....I found the little warmer temps helped with the neuropathy.

Hang in there girl-friend

Much love,
    mags

Awww..
    Sore throats suck, with or without chemo...I just hope you all feel better! you're almost there girl, but if you can't do it, just don't, you don't want to get too bad either :)

Hugsss to you!
    ~Donna
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Shayenne said:

Awww..
    Sore throats suck, with or without chemo...I just hope you all feel better! you're almost there girl, but if you can't do it, just don't, you don't want to get too bad either :)

Hugsss to you!
    ~Donna

good for you
    i have the throat thing too .it got cold here again in kentucky on my last treatment.i think is has something to do with breathing the cold air.good luck and Godbless......johnnybegood
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    sore throats & neuropathy help
    Hi,

I don't get sore throats on what I've been on recently, but I did when I was on the Folfox, so I think it must have been the oxalplatin. Each time, a few days later, I'd have swollen glands and a sore or scratchy throat for a couple of days. It would go away after a couple of days each time. So, I do think it is probably a side effect that not everyone gets, but some do. Bummer- but this, too, shall pass.

I heard of taking alpha lipoic acid, but I didn't hear about it until I was done going through all that. When I was experiencing the oxi neuropathy, I was told to take B-6 and B-12, as well as L-glutamine. I did take those religiously and my neuropathy in my hands is 98% back to normal now. I'd say it's about 75% in my feet and toes.
    I've recently been experiencing other weird stabbing and aching pains in my feet and back, which I now believe to be from neuropathy. The main awful feeling in my hands, however, has gone away and I have normal strength, feeling, and coordination in them again. It was really bad before- I couldn't hold a pen, my hands shook, and I dropped things all the time (not to mention the awful pins and needles feeling)- all better! It was probably about 4 or 5 months after I was done w/ that chemo that I noticed my hands were better and didn't tingle or hurt when I clapped them anymore. Try the B-6, B-12, as well as the L-glutamine and alpha lipoic acid. I kept taking those all those months after I was off the chemo & started during the last cycle of the chemo- I wish I had known about it earlier & maybe it wouldn't have gotten as bad in the first place. I really don't think those particular supplements can hurt you and I know you can't overdo the B vitamins- so what do you have to lose? I'd go out and get them today.
    Note- I take the melt under the tongue lozenges for the B-12- supposedly they absorb and work better that way- not sure, but thought I'd try it that way anyhow.

Good luck with it-

Blessings,
    Lisa
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Yeah...10 down
    You are a strong woman!I am sorry about the sore throat. Wish I had words of wisdom for you.

Hang in there! Many hugs...Vicki
  • daydreamer110761
    VickiCO said:

Yeah...10 down
    You are a strong woman!I am sorry about the sore throat. Wish I had words of wisdom for you.

Hang in there! Many hugs...Vicki

thanx again guys
    gonna try the lipoic acid i guess, it can't hurt. Yeah - I'm strong - not really, just doing what we gotta do. deal with it, finish it, and get on with life - i'm happy that I will be done for the summer! I have a friend who is currently just finishing up 6 weeks of radiation and constant chemo, she's not feeling so hot these days. She'll be done wednesday, then surgery, then following with the folfox - for the summer - I feel for her. Tried to get her to come here, but so far no show.

I have to agree with everyone that said - "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."
  • JaxDavid
    JaxDavid Member Posts: 2

thanx again guys
    gonna try the lipoic acid i guess, it can't hurt. Yeah - I'm strong - not really, just doing what we gotta do. deal with it, finish it, and get on with life - i'm happy that I will be done for the summer! I have a friend who is currently just finishing up 6 weeks of radiation and constant chemo, she's not feeling so hot these days. She'll be done wednesday, then surgery, then following with the folfox - for the summer - I feel for her. Tried to get her to come here, but so far no show.

I have to agree with everyone that said - "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."

Sore Throat
    Hi Daydreamer,
    Yes, I had sore throats and cough each time oxaliplatin was adminstered. Had my throat close up once during a chemo session. I finished 10 oxies and 12 Fluracils in March. It gets better after the chemo, but like everyone else I have neuropathy in my feet and hands. Hang in there and talk to your oncologist about the cough.

David
  • JaxDavid
    JaxDavid Member Posts: 2

thanx again guys

Sore Throat
    Hi Daydreamer,
    Yes, I had sore throats and cough each time oxaliplatin was adminstered. Had my throat close up once during a chemo session. I finished 10 oxies and 12 Fluracils in March. It gets better after the chemo, but like everyone else I have neuropathy in my feet and hands. Hang in there and talk to your oncologist about the cough.

David